• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just a thought, could a fit NR play prem football. The only reason im saying this is if we get him signed up to a, say two contract, we might well get a decent bit of money for him when he moves on

Someone, somewhere on here (I can't remember who) was told he'd would be out for three weeks. If that's true then Friday will be very unlikely.

If that's the case then our options are limited with mooney out as well. Jason Williams looked two stone overweight when he came on. It's embarrassing the club have allowed to be that out of condition.

If that's the case then our options are limited with mooney out as well. Jason Williams looked two stone overweight when he came on. It's embarrassing the club have allowed to be that out of condition.

I've found it. Seems Ranger told Rigsby that he would be out for three weeks. I actually think that the Cox/Fortune partnership could yet turn out to be good business, but you're right, we are limited after that.

Last edited:
I've found it. Seems Ranger told Rigsby that he would be out for three weeks. I actually think that the Cox/Fortune partnership could yet turn out to be business, but you're right, we are limited after that.

Rigsby actually wrote: "The big news was of course no Ranger who by the way, says he will be out for 3 matches." 3 matches is not quite so bad if that includes the Checkatrade rubbish.

Rigsby actually wrote: "The big news was of course no Ranger who by the way, says he will be out for 3 matches." 3 matches is not quite so bad if that includes the Checkatrade cup - that is an excellent opportunity for players to be match fit and fight for a starting position.

Amended to reflect my point of view ........... what could be more motivating for all the players than to be in with a chance of playing at Wembley in front of a large crowd?

Ranger showed again yesterday that he is a match winner, can we keep him and for how long?

I was under the impression he was in contract until end of this season, with option for next. Can anyone clarify this? Could he effectively all away in May, or are there any additional clauses or tie ins stopping him leaving without a fee?

I cannot see him leaving in January as he's still Work in Progress, but surely come end of the season Ron will have a fair few interested parties. I just hope the club either offers him a longer term deal and very soon, or I can see us getting into another major contract balls up...

Ranger showed again yesterday that he is a match winner, can we keep him and for how long?

I was under the impression he was in contract until end of this season, with option for next. Can anyone clarify this? Could he effectively all away in May, or are there any additional clauses or tie ins stopping him leaving without a fee?

I cannot see him leaving in January as he's still Work in Progress, but surely come end of the season Ron will have a fair few interested parties. I just hope the club either offers him a longer term deal and very soon, or I can see us getting into another major contract balls up...

Ranger is quite complex. It is not only his physical fitness he needs to work on but also his head state. If he can get it together he clearly, in terms of ability, is a league above ours at least. I hope he has a happy and successful time for as long as he is with us and should he move on I hope he keeps his act on the tracks and plays at a level more deserving of him. Right now he has been given a chance and he is probably best off where he is wanted and to allow himself the time to prove his worth.

Ranger is quite complex. It is not only his physical fitness he needs to work on but also his head state. If he can get it together he clearly, in terms of ability, is a league above ours at least. I hope he has a happy and successful time for as long as he is with us and should he move on I hope he keeps his act on the tracks and plays at a level more deserving of him. Right now he has been given a chance and he is probably best off where he is wanted and to allow himself the time to prove his worth.

His head is in a very good place from what I have heard. He's staying away from bad influences and places. He really appreciates Southend giving him a chance. So it's just the fitness thing. He seems injury prone at the moment, hopefully that will stop if he gets to play about 5 games on the trot.

His head is in a very good place from what I have heard. He's staying away from bad influences and places. He really appreciates Southend giving him a chance. So it's just the fitness thing. He seems injury prone at the moment, hopefully that will stop if he gets to play about 5 games on the trot.

I have heard him repeatedly state that he has finally 'grown up' I really hope that is the case. I guess that as teenagers we (blokes) all did silly things, maybe not in the magnitude as young Nile, but even so age does mature us men (a bit but not 100%), so I would imagine that now at 25 (so old !!) he's not so immature, the other vibe I get from his twitter is his closeness to his London roots, which I think caused him a lot of heartache especially when he was at Newcastle, Swindon and Blackpool. So location wise we are a major asset to his rehabilitation both on and off the pitch. Just hope he repays the clubs' loyalty...

..and our chairman continues to look after him and gets his signature on a long term deal. I've certainly seen enough to suggest he's worth that chance.

Last edited:
Hear hear to that......here come "The Lone Ranger, Ranger, Ranger".......feel free to add your own theme tune.
P.A person at The Hall......please adapt as you see fit .....................please

PB should offer him a 3 year contract now, secure him and i believe he will help us into the Championship,where if he proves his value ,then he will get the bigger clubs come knocking,only hope when that time comes ,he is a true Southend boy and stays ....on a good contract though.

agree with the fitness, and a little worried about it to be honest, I know he has had injuries, and not played before that.. but I know fitter fat boys.... I know he is quality, I really rate him.... but on a good day he is blowing after 15, 20 mins big time.

Hear hear to that......here come "The Lone Ranger, Ranger, Ranger".......feel free to add your own theme tune.
P.A person at The Hall......please adapt as you see fit .....................please

Good call, (Quantum Jump)

The chorus could be adapted

it is

Hi ho Silver away
Ride into tomorrow today
But who was that masked man you say
That was the Lone Ranger,

However Id like to see TBV try the opening lines after a few beers

http://genius.com/Quantum-jump-the-lone-ranger-lyrics

PB should offer him a 3 year contract now, secure him and i believe he will help us into the Championship,where if he proves his value ,then he will get the bigger clubs come knocking,only hope when that time comes ,he is a true Southend boy and stays ....on a good contract though.

It's a huge risk, Nile is doing well at the moment but he has had a lot of problems in the past. As a club we have a big decision to make because we could still end up with a huge problem if we tie him down long-term and he has a lapse. He is not out of the woods yet, he just needs to keep doing what he is doing so far - I'm told his attitude so far has been first class.

But, as it stands we have him effectively until 2018 anyway, although he will not be on much money and I am sure that, if his form continues, his agent will look for a better deal with us and going by his performances so far the club would be wise to listen.

I love threads like this.
They happen every time have a player who's clearly on his way up if he can stay on the straight and narrow.
"We should give him a 3 year contract" advise the enlightened many. The club of course haven't got a clue he's on his way up, and wouldn't have realised he should be given a 3 year contract if these enlightened fans hadn't brought it to their attention. As such if a 3 year contract doesn't transpire and the player ends up somewhere else next season we can call it a "contract balls up" and declare the club incompetent - I look forward to this.
Meanwhile the player will sign whatever contract he and his advisors consider to be in their best interests - as would any man in that situation. There will be more than one offer on the table for a player that's on the up - you can be sure of that.

Back