• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reasons for low Southend Turn-out at Cardiff

Reasons for low Southend Turn-out at Cardiff -

• The extortionate cost of tickets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardiff has lost its novelty value

• It's a bank holiday weekend and there are other commitments

• The game is on Sky

• The proliferation of plastic airhorns

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • We always lose in Cardiff

• I'm not going as I am Kevin Maher's brother's new best-man

• Total voters

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
What do you think the main reasons are for tomorrow's low turnout by Southend fans?

I actually think the 6-7,000 that seem likely to make the trip pretty much equates to our average gate plus a few floaters.

The high cost of tickets means that those that have gone along for the ride at the LDV Finals (friends, family etc.) are not attending

There was a similar poll to this the other day I think but from your selections I would choose two - the cost and other commitments.

The fact it is on Sky and we always lose in Cardiff adds to those reasons so maybe I need to chose 4!
laugh.gif

I believe the cost is the main issue (particularly as it's the 3rd time we've been to Cardiff in 2 years). That said, we'd surely be taking 20k if it was at Wembley so maybe it's the length of journey and cost of travel that's putting people off.

The other key factor is that it's on Sky.

It's a bank holiday .... family committments. It's half term .... family holidays. So for every die hard fan missing due to that there are at least one, two or three others (family/friends) missing from the Millennium regulars.

But me and Mrs Stoned Shrimper will be there.

Cardiff fatigue. It's another expensive day (with train and match tickets, I've already shelled out over a ton) and as we've already two such days in the last 14 months, it's inevitable that this is a game too far for many fans.

Not for me though. Up the Shrimpers
smile.gif

I'd definitely would have been there if I hadn't had prior arrangements to go to Edinburgh.
Strikes me that we've been victims of our own success in getting to Cardiff this time. I wish in retrospect that we never made the LDV final this time. However I still think the turnout would've been substantially lower than this years LDV because of the bank holiday weekend and half term.

I think it's all of them. The thought of lying on the sofa, watching Sky, getting something from the fridge during the game and chilling out and not paying £68 and spending the whole day getting to and back from Cardiff is mighty attractive.

But I'm a silly sod and I'm going.
tounge.gif

I'm going... but having already been to the LDV and renewed the season tickets plus following the team away for the last few games of the season means that in the last 2 months I have shelled out well over a grand just to watch Southend for me and my 2 lads.  Not everyone can afford that and season tickets I guess take priority (especially as the game is on SKY).

I guess it's a trip too far for so many people on a bank holiday, and, another MAJOR factor IMHO is the fact that West Ham have got to Cardiff as well.  Whilst people on this board may not like it, I can assure you that there are plenty of West Ham fans that support SUFC as well and 2 trips in one weekend is probably out of the question for most people.

Oh, and by the way, I turned Kev Mahers brother down.  He gave me a bit of lip back, so I booked him.

I would go but i am now in Rio De Janeiro just about to check into my hotel, have a kip and then sit on the beach surrounded my models.

I suppose i am not a supporter now...
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 27 2005,10:32)]I guess it's a trip too far for so many people on a bank holiday, and, another MAJOR factor IMHO is the fact that West Ham have got to Cardiff as well.  Whilst people on this board may not like it, I can assure you that there are plenty of West Ham fans that support SUFC as well and 2 trips in one weekend is probably out of the question for most people.
Totally agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ May 27 2005,10:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 27 2005,10:37)]I would go but i am now in Rio De Janeiro just about to check into my hotel, have a kip and then sit on the beach surrounded my models.

I suppose i am not a supporter now...
ghostface.gif
Ah! But have you got your airhorn?
rock.gif
No but he almost certainly has something requiring urgent treatment at a clinic. The lucky *******.
biggrin.gif

I can't see what's wrong with taking 67000 supporters anyway, I would say that is quite a few considering. I doubt Freddy Rincon will have that many.

Those of us with Wives , kids and other "not quite so SUFC obsessed as us" partners / commitments are likely to have sold our soul from around Mid March untill the end of July (cue female screams of August 6th !! The football season is starting earlier every year !) in exchange for every / every other saturday during the rest of the year.
So the first bank holiday weekend of "her" part of the year and lo! HE wants to go to a football match.....
There, has been , no doubt, the deafening sounds of concrete plans being broken all round Southend this week. But many will have holidays booked, testicles to look after etc.....

Is it really the money thats the problem?

our trip for 7 shrimpers is match ticket, hired people carrier & a 4 star hotel all for only £115.00 each inc fuel.

bargin me thinks!

up the shrimpers!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

I had to bribe my wife to make sure I got my leave pass for Cardiff. Had to book tickets for the whole family to see Chity Chity Bang Bang in London. That has cost me an extra £250. That does not include food and drink whilst in the City. So the play off final has cost me alone a small fortune. Add to that my seaso renewal last week and away trips since the LDV final, crickey thank the Lord for Lloyds loans. Incidentally I applied on line (a few weeks ago ) on a Friday afternoon and the money was in my account by the following Friday.  
smile.gif

Just remember kids, you can never have too much finance.

Back