• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Redknapp gets away with murder

seany t

President
Could any other manager so blatantly court the media, tell them his plans and what he demands, unsettle a player, get his agent onside and eventually force the public consensus to be strong that he inevitably gets his man?

And STILL come out of it looking all sweet and innocent?

I used to quite like 'Arry, but given his move to and from and to and from Portsmouth and his "Woe is me" whinging to the reporters about how Portsmouth want silly money, he's lost a lot of respect from me and now sits someone near Ferguson in terms of his level of blatant hypocrisy and media manipulation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7807491.stm

I reckon Redknapp has a point actually about how Pompey are taking the p*ss with Defoe's price. Defoe was bought from Spurs less than 6 months ago for £7.5m and now they are insisting he's worth £19m. This is cobblers in the extreme! There was also the issue that Spurs were due £4m as a sell on fee for Defoe but Pompey argued that that didn't apply if Spurs bought him back. Err hang on, what does it matter who buys him, you owe it to Spurs?
As it happens Spurs have lost a bit of money in selling Defoe and then buying him (even allowing for the sell on clause) back but that's the price they paid for the mistake of selling him i suppose.

As for respect for HR, everyone knows he is a Wheeler Dealer who has made average teams into very good teams on next to nothing. The difference is now at Tottenham he has a bit of dosh at his disposal and if he needs to play dirty like Fergie/Wenger etc to get his man then he is more than capable at doing that.

I think Redknapp is doing what any fan would want him to do; Get the right players in for the team at the right price for the club. And, Redknapp didn't force Spurs to sell Defoe in the first place.

As Ldnfatso says, he's doing exactly what he's always done and he usually does it pretty well.

Last edited:
I can't blame him for wanting a bargain but Portsmouth are rightly ****ed off because Man City would surely have offered lots more money, but the situation Harry & Defoe have created has forced their hand into selling him to the London side instead of their preferred target. It just seems crazy that players can declare themselves ill, managers at rival clubs use the media to get their will and somehow the club who pays the player loses out?

I've been a bit disappointed with O'Neill this season too. He's always seemed pretty level headed but even he threw a wobbly at the Gills game, wanted 'player protection' and moaned about fixture pile ups (despite fighting to be in Europe).

I dunno... You can't win eh?

I can't blame him for wanting a bargain but Portsmouth are rightly ****ed off because Man City would surely have offered lots more money, but the situation Harry & Defoe have created has forced their hand into selling him to the London side instead of their preferred target. It just seems crazy that players can declare themselves ill, managers at rival clubs use the media to get their will and somehow the club who pays the player loses out?

I've been a bit disappointed with O'Neill this season too. He's always seemed pretty level headed but even he threw a wobbly at the Gills game, wanted 'player protection' and moaned about fixture pile ups (despite fighting to be in Europe).

I dunno... You can't win eh?

Defoe wouldn't have gone to Man City, so this is completely irrelevent. Clubs will undoubtedly play the City card and attempt to hold players to ransom, yet if the player in question doesn't want to go there, then what argument do they have?

They set their asking price and recieved it.

And as for O'Neill, he was watching his star player and prize asset getting kicked across the Priestfield pitch when he became irate, just as any other manager or fan would. He was nothing but respectful towards Gillingham after the game in his interview with the BBC.

And as for O'Neill, he was watching his star player and prize asset getting kicked across the Priestfield pitch when he became irate, just as any other manager or fan would. He was nothing but respectful towards Gillingham after the game in his interview with the BBC.

Well that's because they eventually won the match. When they were drawing, he went up to the Gills manager on at least 3 occasions and expressed his discontent.

I love Martin O'Neill, I just find it sad that after wanting the England manager to recognise the quality of his side, his team to get into Europe and to also compete for all the cups and field a regular eleven he then starts whinging like every other manager he'd previously been so critical of.

Here's a question - who's scored more Premiership goals this season?

a) Crouch
b) Defoe

£7m for the correct answer.

Back