• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The General

The Mouse (*)
The updates came via me, if anyone was wondering. Same old faces watching the game and like i said to BB at half time, i really hope Tilly is going to be dipping into the loan market. Shorty had nowt to do. Cant really remember a save that he had to make. They hit the post with their only real opportunity. Good kicking and also quite vocal too. He seemed frustrated with our "shooting" which was funny to see at times. Defensively, we were pretty bad. With Gilbert, Francis and Richards all playing, you'd expect a half decent performance but the left back Herd was clearly the best out of the 4 although i must admit Francis did well with a few Barrett-esque januts up the pitch and Zoltan was always very alert to make sure he covered him.

Onto the midfield, and didn't think Peggy played that well, which was a pity. Forshaw never really got into the game and i was more impressed by Priest who came on for the injured Black at HT and looked much more dangerous going forward. Zoltan was the stand out man, winning headers and looking very calm and composed on the ball WHEN GIVEN TIME. He was pretty sloppy on the ball when hurried but for a supposed central defender, he got across the pitch well and spear-headed alot of our attacks.

Up top and thought Charlie Mac may have just edged it for my MOtM. Linked up well with Black earlier on and he created a few chances for both himself and his team mates. His goal mid-way through the 2nd half should never have been dissallowed. Perfectly timed run and finish and tbh you could see him run from behind the defender. I was hoping for more from Lindie and when Henry came on, he looked much more creative, had a good burst of speed and looked very aware for an 18yo! Lindie had a couple of golden oppo's to score, one which was very well saved and the other he should have burried it.

Ratings:

Shorty - 6.

Gilbert - 6. Improved 2nd half.
Francis - 7. Good going forward and defended better than Richards.
Richards - 6. Stiff. Very stiff.
Herd - 7. Calm, cool and composed and was the best Yoot on show.

Black - 6. In and out the game and subbed at HT due to injury.
Peggy - 6. Gave the ball away too much.
Zoltan - 7.
Forshaw - 6.

Charlie Mac - 7.
Lindie - 6.

Subs:

Priest - 7.
Henry - 7.

Kev

Last edited:
Only saw the first half.....keeper kept them in it with some fine saves from our "other" ginga ninja up front.

Richards was shocking. And so was Gilbert.

Zoltan as stated above looked quite good today, probably amongst the pick of the performances.

Not surprised it was a 0-0 as neither team seemed to have the composure needed to score albeit their keeper made a couple of fine saves from close range.

Cheers, Kev.

Good to see the new legend that is Zoltan playing well, as well as Herd. Do you reckon from seeing Herd that he potentially could break into the senior squad at the end of his youth deal? Everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about him.

Cheers, Kev.

Good to see the new legend that is Zoltan playing well, as well as Herd. Do you reckon from seeing Herd that he potentially could break into the senior squad at the end of his youth deal? Everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about him.

Yes from what i have seen today Mr Herd is certainly well capable of doing so! He really does have a monster throw on him too, so that could certainly be a useful tool, especially if/when Liptak starts to get a game/s!

Kev

when Henry came on, he looked much more creative, had a good burst of speed and looked very aware for an 18yo!

I dont know why we got a 18 yrs old striker (I forget his name) on loan from Leicester when Tilson got a pacy striker RIGHT under his nose! He would look the part to throw on in last 10 mins agasint a weary defence - Iam sure he would cause Rochdale more problem than Hooper and Harrold put together.

I dont know why we got a 18 yrs old striker (I forget his name) on loan from Leicester when Tilson got a pacy striker RIGHT under his nose! He would look the part to throw on in last 10 mins agasint a weary defence - Iam sure he would cause Rochdale more problem than Hooper and Harrold put together.

He is a fair way short of League standard (although that doesn't necessarily invalidate your final comment).

I was also disappointed with the cumfiness of the wooden seats in the East Stand. They make my seat in the West feel like an armchair.

There has to be a case for some cushions for those things for us Westees who are used to more comfort on our derriere.

Reserves was free to get in. Barely value for money.

Flahaven had little to do; dropped one cross under pressure.

Gilbert looked disinterested in the first half improved for the second.

Richards was surprisingly awful.

Herd shows much promise.

Unlike others I thought the Hungarian looked anything but a midfield player and although Peggy gave the ball away a fair bit and shot too high, he made a lot of tackles and looked committed. Unlike Black for his half.

The other 4 youngsters all did okay, no more, no less.

That leaves Francis and Charlie Mac. Francis was the only player on show who I would be happy seeing in the first team on Saturday. Charlie Mac? I'm still to be convinced he will make the step up from a non-league player to a League One player. He's certainly no Eastwood (understatement of the year entry!) and is unlikely to be.

I thought the Stevenage side full of young football nonentities (well I hadn't heard of them anyway) actually played some decent football with no cutting edge (Tes?). Keeper did well.

Zoltan was booked for something the lino saw/heard but otherwise a quiet afternoon for local ref John Hopkins ( ... and the rest of us).

My twopennyworth for what its worth ( probably not tuppence)

MacDonald - unlucky with the offside but didn't really threaten for most of the game - bundled off the ball too easily for my liking. I found myself thinking what could the standard of defending have been like last season when he scored all those goals ?

Lindie is a whole lot ahead of Henry in terms of asserting himself . He would have had two today if not for some superb 'keeping from the Stev B goalie - easily the MOTM in my book. Didn't do much wrong and rightly picked for 80mins ahead of Henry's 10 .Was superb last Wednesday also and would be worth a place on the bench on Sat IMHO.

Zoltan - excellent in his midfield role - whether he can transform this to a higher level not sure - but some quality touches

Francis - alert, positive ,great run into the box - this lad played England U21's and if he continues to show this kind of commitment won't be languishing in our reserves for too much longer .

Che - didn't play - is he injured ????????

Peggy , Richards and Gilbert all got better after appalling first halves . Peggy has the potential to be real class.

SO THE BEST TO LAST - Johnny Herd - this club has a little diamond in its midst. This guy has time on the ball no matter what situation he finds himself in , always finds an intelligent and not always orthodox solution to any tight corner , links up well with the rest of the team and is never shrugged off the ball. I love watching him play.I don't think he will displace Hammell for the moment , simply because of physique , but he will feature before too long.

Not the greatest afternoon watching the stiffs but entertaining nonetheles and nice to see Daryl on the road back.

Probably an unchanged team on Saturday but the bench could be interesting .

Back