• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Revell and tactics

Haven't started a thread before so I thought why not live dangerously for once.

Revell is a real trier, makes up in effort what he lacks in skill but frankly peeps I do not want to see my centre forward chasing down(and to be fair to him winning) balls wide left, wide right, on the half way line or any where else 30 yards from goal, because when he wins it and gives it to another player they look up and dont have a centre forward to play it to. End of technical lesson from the Terry Venables school of tactics.

Haven't started a thread before so I thought why not live dangerously for once.

Revell is a real trier, makes up in effort what he lacks in skill but frankly peeps I do not want to see my centre forward chasing down(and to be fair to him winning) balls wide left, wide right, on the half way line or any where else 30 yards from goal, because when he wins it and gives it to another player they look up and dont have a centre forward to play it to. End of technical lesson from the Terry Venables school of tactics.

In which case you'd better well get your left-sided midfielder (HRK) and your right-sided midfielder (Betsy) doing it. Not to mention Sawyer, who again went missing from the midfield battle.

A bit harsh on Sawyer I think YB.

Re: Revell, there's not much he can do. If he doesn't do it the others wont. And if the others do it then they'll be out of position. Managers would prefer the forward to do the running and keep the other 8 in position.

A bit harsh on Sawyer I think YB.

Re: Revell, there's not much he can do. If he doesn't do it the others wont. And if the others do it then they'll be out of position. Managers would prefer the forward to do the running and keep the other 8 in position.

You don't think we were overrun in midfield again?

Again? Well, I'd agree in midfield they did run through us. However the midfield two bossed it against Leeds and I've had no complaints in the past.

Thought Christophe was excellent today but that Sawyer was not great from a positional aspect and tries to be everywhere at once

I think Revs is another Charlie Mac, but his height edges it out. We have given a good chance to Revs to show what he is worth too.

Revs runs far more then Mac. Mac tried his hardest yeah, and didn't have a massive chance here, but Revell is at a different level in my opinion.

In which case you'd better well get your left-sided midfielder (HRK) and your right-sided midfielder (Betsy) doing it. Not to mention Sawyer, who again went missing from the midfield battle.

Lets send a copy of this thread to Tilson because that is pretty much nail on head. Neither of these two players do enough of the tough stuff when it is called for, and dont forget Sawyer is a teenager who works really hard for 30 minutes but doesn't have the physique in this league to cut it for the full 90 - yet.

Lets send a copy of this thread to Tilson because that is pretty much nail on head. Neither of these two players do enough of the tough stuff when it is called for, and dont forget Sawyer is a teenager who works really hard for 30 minutes but doesn't have the physique in this league to cut it for the full 90 - yet.

So you are saying let's drop Sawyer, a key attacking player?

Or should we ask Revell to roll his sleeves up and get stuck in, as is his game?

From what I've seen I dont think Sawyer at his age at this level can play 90 minutes and be an influence on the game. He is without doubt a fantastic talent and we should sign him up no doubt, but for me you cannot ask teenage players however good to run centre midfield for 90 minutes of every game its too much to ask in Div 1. Revell should run the back four of the opposition ragged as he does but across the back four not 30 or 40 yards from goal, we need him where it hurts when we win the ball and that is the job of the midfield.

Although I wasn't at the Bristol Rover's game last week a few people have told me that Sawyer would have bossed the midfield more than Macca.

Only what I was told.

Although I wasn't at the Bristol Rover's game last week a few people have told me that Sawyer would have bossed the midfield more than Macca.

Only what I was told.

Like you wasn't at Bristol Rovers so cant comment, but Sawyer is a fire cracker, but for me is too young to boss midfields in this division every game, we are lucky to have him because he is a real talent but lets not forget he is only a teenager and Div 1 doesn't have too many teenagers runnning centre midfield.

Imo the difference between Tueday and today, was we were playing against a workmanlike outfit, very physical and direct, who closed our midfield down in the middle. For me our wide players, who could have offered an outlet, and taken pressure off of the middle of the park, by offering themselves and find space, simply didn't fancy it and went missing. Sure the conditions didn't help but it wouldn't have been a walk in the park trying to contain a winger in full stride running at you in those conditions either.

So with no willing wide outlet, we got sucked into taking Col U on on their terms and we were never going to win that type of physical battle.

The fact we got a point out of it at all was a bonus. Revs and Laurent got no real quality service to speak of and rather than hide I thought they made the best out of a poor set of circumstances.

On Tuesday we were up against a midfield, that had more confidence in their footballing ability and tried to play around and through us, and offered more space and time to work with and we looked far better for it.

For me I'd lke to see our wide midfielders want the ball more than they did today, if we are in a similar game this season or any other, but that's just me.

So therefore, with regards to Revs I thought he did as best as he could and rather than put his hands on his hips and moan at the service as many forwards would do he contrbuted and worked his nuts off for the team. It's not his fault if the service providers haven't got the same frame of mind.

Last edited:
Imo the difference between Tueday and today, was we were playing against a workmanlike outfit, very physical and direct, who closd our midfield down in the middle. For me our wide players, who could have offered an outlet, and taken pressure off of the middle of the park, by offering themselves and find space, simply didn't fancy it and went missing. Sure the conditions didn't help but it would have been a walk in the park trying to contain a winger in full stride running at you in those condition either.

So with no willing wide outlet, we got sucked into taking Col U on on their trerms and we were never going to win that type of physical battle.

The fact we got a point out of it at all was a bonus. Revs and Laurent got no real quality service to speak of and rather than hide I thought they made the best out of a poor set of circumstances.

On Tuesday we were up against a midfield, that had more confidence in their footballing abiltiy and tried to play around and through us, and offered more space and time to work with and we looked far better for it.

For me I'd lke to see our wide midfielders want the ball more than they did today, if we are in a similar game this season or any other, but that's just me.

So therefore, with regards to Revs I thought he did as best as he could and rather than put his hands on his hips and moan at the service as many forwards would do he contrbuted and worked his nuts nuts off for the team. It's not his fault if the service providers haven't got the same frame of mind.

Well thats a fair comment for me end of thread.

I think maybe that we are over analysing this game a bit too much today.

The wide men were not heavily involved today, but then that is not something we have suffered from recently - in fact, Betsy has been a revelation this season since signing, and has contributed to a fair few goals.

There are a few mitigatting cirucmatsnace to take into consideration today - the conditions, the fact it was a local derby, the fact we had a pretty tough work out on Tuesday night against one one of the best teams in this division, and the fact that Col Ewe are a very good side.

Sawyer, at 18, is not going to be able to produce exceptional performances each week, as GBAR said, it is unfair to expect that of him - Indeed, it was one of the things I said when we signed him, we simply cannot rely on an 18 year old to be the be all and end all of our midfield. That said, he has been fantastic for us, and will get better and better.

As for Revs, well I have nothing but praise for this guy, who has got his place back in thside through injury, and has now done enough, IMO, to stay there, even when Dougie and Barney return from injury.

His work rate and non stop running is second to none, but more than that, he actually has a significantly positive effect oin the team. His hold up play is very good, he wins almost everything in the air, and his flick ons, and passing is extremely intelligent - sometimes, too intelligent for some of the others in our side.

No, he isn't technically the most gifted in our side, but he is very effective at his job, and with the right service, as showed against Swindon, will score goals.

I would agree that at times he comes deep to receive the ball, and does a lot of his chasing and harrying in the channel, but I seem to remember a certain Mr Sheare being the best at chasing balls in the channel, and look at his goal return!

The side is by no means perfect at the moment, but I would suggest that the game today is not one to judge us fairly on, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Now you can end the thread GBAR :)

Betsy has been a revelation this season since signing, and has contributed to a fair few goals.

Strange how we view things differently. For me the only revelation about Betsy is how bad he has been.

As for Revs, well I have nothing but praise for this guy, who has got his place back in thside through injury, and has now done enough, IMO, to stay there, even when Dougie and Barney return from injury.

Revell isnt good enough. ever has been never will be. Dougie and Barney might well have made the difference today, purely by keeping the ball in the Col U half when we were struggling. Our front two didnt manage it.

You always get 100% effort from Rev, and this game was no different. His game is to chase and hassle and generally make a nuisance of himself, and with the lack of service today that was really his only option. Incidentally, why did so many of the passes forward get aimed at Laurent when it was clear what the defenders' tactics were towards him? And why did Federici not make use of Macca when we were chasing that 3rd goal? He was going ballistic on the right touchline wanting a long clearance and never got given a one from Fed.

If I recall on Tuesday night, Leeds broke to attack and it was Revell who chased back 30-40 yrds and made a first class sliding tackle to end the danger in front of the west.

Never really thought much of him last year, but on the few games I've been to this year I have been impressed with the effort, fitness and aerial abilities.

If he didn't chase back and across then we'll all label him as lazy.

Just needs to score more often!!

If I recall on Tuesday night, Leeds broke to attack and it was Revell who chased back 30-40 yrds and made a first class sliding tackle to end the danger in front of the west.

Never really thought much of him last year, but on the few games I've been to this year I have been impressed with the effort, fitness and aerial abilities.

If he didn't chase back and across then we'll all label him as lazy.

Just needs to score more often!!

Revell works his socks off, entertains us all and his headers are second to none..He has the knack of being able to direct his headers to someone.. He is deinitely in the starting 11 on merit

Back