• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes - I have been to games there when it has been looking quite lovely. No chance of temperatures getting up to grass growing levels at the moment .... or indeed for most of February according to the weather forecasts.
It's absolutely freezing up here at the moment. -3 this morning driving into Manchester. it's also been very wet over the Christmas period.

I'd be worried for the Bury and Oldham games over the next few weeks if the weather continues to be cold and wet, although both clubs seem fairly reliable in getting their games on, unlike Accrington, Rochdale et al.

No point going there with any intention of free-flowing football. A couple of centre halves up front, and play percentages.

It doesn't help when they have rugby league on their pitch through the spring and summer. They share with Rochdale Hornets.

Seems Spurs aren't to happy about Rochdale's pitch, and want the FA to step in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42996945

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/engl...mauricio-pochettinos-pitch-concerns-unhelpful

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5534...hdale-wembley-tensions-pitch-fa-cup-heighten/

I happened to have listened to that Talksport interview, IMO, the Chief Executive, came across as a tad irate & arrogant, and indicated that they would possibly consider re-laying it, however, he seemed to suggest that if Tottenham were so bothered about playing on it, then they should pay to have it re-layed. I think the cost that was bounced around the "Tinternet"... about re-laying their pitch with improved drainage & with the ability for the rugby team to continue to still play regularly on it, at this time of year, as an emergency measure was around £200K. And that would wipe out their TV revenue & gate receipts etc.

Seems to me Rochdale are in a bit of a "win win" with this FA Cup fixture, with the small possibility of getting the game moved to Wembley for a bigger pay day or play at home & get someone else to cough up the costs of a new pitch. (Why didn't think of that?!?!?.....Oh that's right, we stuck to the tradition of getting knocked out in the 1st round every year :sad:)

I can kind of see where Pottichino is coming from, by wanting to get the FA involved, can you imagine if say Harry Kane, Dele Alli or Eric Dier break their ankle's and miss this summer's World Cup Finals as a result of playing on that surface, (all England fans will blame Rochdale for that). Furthermore, from a Tottenham perspective, their chances of progressing in the Champions League on the back of that match would also be under a possible costly financial risk to the club and national pride.

Anyway, looking at the current weather in Rochdale, I wouldn't be at all surprised if their game against Fleetwood this weekend is called off also, they've had rain and sleet last night, & their due for some more later today (with sub zero temperatures over night) and more rain and sleet from 8am Saturday morning all the way through to Sunday evening.

As someone else mentioned in an earlier post, their fixture list is already congested, & they will currently be playing every midweek and weekend (with the exception of a seven day break on just two occasions) between now and Sunday the 22nd April. (In other words the last two games of the season).

Let's just hope that their fixture headache will play into our hands, in terms of facing tired legs, important injuries, and of course us picking up an important 3 points on the road, when we meet them in mid March.

Last edited:
They (Rochdale), could've asked the game to be moved to Roots Hall to save Spurs travelling time ..similar pitch status, so be like a "home game" for them....:whistling:

They (Rochdale), could've asked the game to be moved to Roots Hall to save Spurs travelling time ..similar pitch status, so be like a "home game" for them....:whistling:

After all they've got such a good recent record at Roots Hall. ZERO wins in the last sixteen matches !

I can kind of see where Pottichino is coming from, by wanting to get the FA involved, can you imagine if say Harry Kane, Dele Alli or Eric Dier break their ankle's and miss this summer's World Cup Finals as a result of playing on that surface, (all England fans will blame Rochdale for that). Furthermore, from a Tottenham perspective, their chances of progressing in the Champions League on the back of that match would also be under a possible costly financial risk to the club and national pride.

It doesn't matter who the players are, if the pitch is not safe for professional football then it should not be used. So they either pay to get it relaid or play all their home games somewhere else.

Don't the home team have the choice of playing at the opponent's ground? I know Canvey moved their tie with us to Roots Hall.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...to play on a ploughed flied (Roots Hall)....a sandpit (Rochdale), or, a football pitch at the national stadium...:unsure:

The ultimate plus about playing at home is that it will bring Spurs down to their level....and give them a chance of progressing ?

If it was us playing Spurs, I'm pretty sure CP would have tractors going up and down the pitch the night before the game...it's what we're used to, and Spurs definately are not :omg:

The pictures of that Rochdale pitch bring back bad memories of an away game at Boston United...

Don't the home team have the choice of playing at the opponent's ground? I know Canvey moved their tie with us to Roots Hall.

Nope not anymore. They stopped that from happening around 2004. I think ties can be moved in exceptional circumstances but as far as I know since the new rule it has not happened. One of the last ties switched was Farnborough v Arsenal in 2003.

Nope not anymore. They stopped that from happening around 2004. I think ties can be moved in exceptional circumstances but as far as I know since the new rule it has not happened. One of the last ties switched was Farnborough v Arsenal in 2003.

Indeed, and "making a lot of money" was specifically excluded from exceptional circumstances.

All clubs entering the competition are required to state on the entry form their ground's maximum capacity. This must be accompanied by a commitment from the club, and a declaration signed by the local safety authority or police force, that the capacity will stand, no matter the opposition.

If a cup tie still has to be switched it would go to the nearest suitable neutral venue, rather than the opponents' home ground. If games are still moved, any excess money earned by the participants would go into the central pool.

Sorry Harry, bit too ironical for me.....����

Back