• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 15

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Last two heats of this round today and firstly we have a huge battle between,

John Lennon - Canveyshrimper v Prince - Clinton baptiste

Over to you lot.

Prince is amazing, has to be said - Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, 199 *****ing* 9 etc...but John Winston Lennon, most pale into insignificance.... an amazing solo career (Imagine, Woman, Jealous Guy) backed up by forming the most influential band EVER, for bringing us sampled music in 1966 with Tomorrow Never Knows a generation before it became the norm. He might have been a bit of a twunt at times, but has to be JWL.

I get tired of people telling me how great Lennon was, over rated as a solo artist in my opinion, I honestly prefer George Harrison. If this was Lennon & McCartney they'd get my vote, but Prince wins this for me.

I get tired of people telling me how great Lennon was, over rated as a solo artist in my opinion, I honestly prefer George Harrison. If this was Lennon & McCartney they'd get my vote, but Prince wins this for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself DS. 'Imagine' - what a load of fatuous guff. 'When Doves Cry' and 'Kiss' are the absolute bollocks.

Not a fan of the Beatles or Lennon's solo stuff... Prince for me.

And not having a pop Jon but George Harrison only wrote a handful of songs and Lennon and McCartney are actually 2 different people

I get tired of people who constantly label them as one

Firstly apologies, Im at work so cannot post youtube vids until later.
A tough draw for me, Lennon is a national institution, and perhaps SZ isn’t the most natural haven for a Prince fan but I shall try and appeal to those who perhaps think Lennon was a bit of a self-righteous idiot who thought lying in bed with his weird wife was the height of artistic achievement.

Prince for me is the greatest songwriter of the last 30 years, and when we talk about song writing then this man is it, he writes virtually all the lyrics and music to his songs (which number well over 400). He plays virtually every instrument throughout his career- he is one of THE great guitarists of all time. Also an accomplished pianist, bass player, drummer, you name it this guy can play it. He has produced all his albums, and of course his live performances are legendary. So when you talk about song writing then this guy is involved in every part of the process- he IS the song.

What appeals mostly for me about Prince is pick two songs at random and they will sound completely different. The sheer variation and breadth of styles within his music is astonishing, only matched in my opinion (perhaps ironically) by the Beatles. Vocally too he could do funky falsetto but then bellow out an awe-inspiring ballad He is both heavily influenced by others (notably James Brown and Sly and the Famiy Stone) and also a massive influence on many many artists, giving whole careers to quite a few notable singers (Sinead O Connor, Chaka Khan). He could do power ballads, funk, disco, rock, pop. Everything. Each album was different from the last and each single too. Constantly reinventing himself. In the 80s when synths were at their peak, he threw in awesome Hendrix style guitars into the mix. To this day he is still making good music and staying relevant.

Lyrically too he is fascinating. Never one to compromise, he is not afraid to throw sex, religion and politics all at once into a song. He could also write heartbreakingly beautiful songs like ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ and ‘Sometimes it snows in April’ or throw in a rare moment of humorous genius like the opening line of ‘Little Red Corvette’- ‘I guess I shoulda known By the way you parked your
car sideways That it wouldn't last’. His songs reflect the age in which he wrote them and are very much of the time and. In a decade when so much vacuous rubbish was written, Prince stands out as a real prophet and poet of the 80s.

But Prince was undoubtedly at his best when he put the funk into funky.
‘1999’, ‘When Doves Cry’, ‘Raspberry Beret’, ‘I Could Die 4 U, ‘Kiss’, ‘Gett Off’, ‘Let’s Go Crazy’. I could go on and on. Those were just the singles, his albums often had hidden gems, and his B-sides would put most other artists to shame. If you want to (as the phrase goes) get the party started then Prince is your man. This guy put his heart and soul into everything, he is a maverick, elusive perhaps and rarely autobiographical. We know very little about the man himself but that is part of the magic. But who wouldn’t want to be this guy? He is simultaneously one of the most camp pop stars of all time yet adored by women and probably had more pussy in a night than most of us will have in a lifetime. But this contest is about the songs and I believe his catalogue stands up to anyone on this list, songs who's power and beauty can only really be discovered when looking beyond the surface, beyond the sex-god image of a man who's musical influence will last for many years and decades to come.

Don't like Prince - 'When Doves Cry' is great though. Lennon was obviously a deeply flawed human being, and I don't have any time for most of his solo output, but the influence of the songs he wrote from 1961 to 1971 cannot be overstated. A true pop genius, ****ing love him.

A couple of crackers that Prince wrote for others (or, rather, that others recorded)

[video=youtube;1XV5_WagxZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XV5_WagxZg[/video]

[video=youtube;iUiTQvT0W_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTQvT0W_0&ob=av2e[/video]

And not having a pop Jon but George Harrison only wrote a handful of songs and Lennon and McCartney are actually 2 different people

I get tired of people who constantly label them as one

George Harrison released 11 studio albums :thump:

Yes Lennon & McCartney are two seperate people, but their work in the Beatles is considerably better (imho) than either of their solo work. There's a reason the Beatles songs are credited as Lennon/McCartney compositions.

Let's not forget that Prince took inspiration from Lennon. His "All around the world in a day" album has been likened to Sgt Pepper.

Yep its well known Prince is a massive Beatles fan. When George Harrison was inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Prince played one of the best gutiar solos you will ever see when performing 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. (will dig the clip out later).

Firstly when I saw the draw I thought I would have my work cut out to win the round as Prince is one of the most influential artists/writers of the last 25 years or so. However....

2012 will see two significant 50 year anniversaries for me, one the day in August when I first entered the hallowed portals of Roots Hall and second in October when I first heard the strains of Love Me Do, the debut Beatles single that charted at 17. Like Clinton I can't post links to you tube from work.

The early history of John Winston Lennon is well documented. Influenced by skiffle in the late 50's he formed a band called The Quarreymen which eventually evolved into The Beatles, where he formed his long term writing partnership with Paul McCartney. The first song he wrote when he was 18 Hellow Little Girl eventually became a hit for The Fourmost in the 60's.

After the release of Love Me Do there followed their first album Please, Please Me recorded in under 10 hours with Lennon/McCartney being responsible for 8 of the 14 tracks. Lennon always was the more clever lyricist and this became apparent on later albums, possibly enhanced by the effects of LSD. The release of Strawberry Fields Forever in 1967 described by Time Magazine for "its astonishing inventiveness" followed by Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band which took Lennon's lyrics away from the simple love songs of his early writings with McCartney. Later in 1967 they released The Magical Mystery Tour which was panned by the critics.

In 67/68 he met Yoko Ono and his creative focus was taken beyond The Beatles and he recorded 3 albums with Yoko. In 1969 they formed the Plastic Ono Band. And between 1969 & 1970 Lennon released singles Give Peace a Chance, Cold Turkey & Instant Karma. Lennon actually left The Beatles in 1969 although this did not become public until 1970, and the depths of his split with McCartney was revealed.

Later in 1970 he released his first solo album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band which included tracks "Mother" and the brilliant "Working Class Hero". The album received great critical acclaim. Imagine followed in 1971 to slightly more guarded acclaim, and later in the year Happy Xmas War is Over was released. The album Mind Games followed in 1973and Walls & Bridges in 1974. And Stand by Me an album of covers followed in 1975.

After the birth of his second son Sean Lennon retired from the public eye to be a house husband, he returned from retirement in October 1980 with the release of the single (Just Like) Starting Over, followed by the release of the album Double Fantasy the following month. Sadly he did not live much longer to see if the album would be a success as he was gunned down by Mark Chapman on 8th December 1980.

In many ways growing up when I did, writers such as Dylan, Brian Wilson, Ray Davies became incredibly popular, but IMO head and shoulders above them was the cheeky mop top from Liverpool John Winston (Ono) Lennon.

And if this doesn't convince you how many artists have an airport named after them? Liverpool John Lennon.

[video=youtube;lAZgLcK5LzI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZgLcK5LzI[/video]

He's human too. I'd write a number 1 single if it meant having a chance to doink Susannah Hoffs.

John Lennon for me by a mile. Never got into Prince, but I know he is a great guitarist.

Back