• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 5

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was always one of my favourite Smiths songs lyrically

[video=youtube;08Zc17YQzdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Zc17YQzdk[/video]

This was always one of my favourite Smiths songs lyrically

[video=youtube;08Zc17YQzdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Zc17YQzdk[/video]

At the record company meeting
On their hands - a dead star
And oh, the plans they weave
And oh, the sickening greed

At the record company party
On their hands - a dead star
The sycophantic slags all say :
"I knew him first, and I knew him well"

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge)

A-list, playlist
"Please them , please them !"
"Please them !"
(sadly, THIS was your life)

But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to
You could have said no
If you'd wanted to

BPI, MTV, BBC
"Please them ! Please them !"
(sadly this was your life)

But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to
You could have walked away
...Couldn't you ?

I touched you at the soundcheck
You had no real way of knowing
In my heart I begged "Take me with you ...
I don't care where you're going..."

But to you I was faceless
I was fawning, I was boring
Just a child from those ugly new houses
Who could never begin to know

Who could never really know
Oh ...

Best of ! Most of !
Satiate the need
Slip them into different sleeves !
Buy both, and feel deceived

Climber - new entry, re-entry
World tour ! ("media whore")
"Please the Press in Belgium !"
(THIS was your life...)

And when it fails to recoup ?
Well, maybe :
You just haven't earned it yet, baby

I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck
You're just the same as I am
What makes most people feel happy
Leads us headlong into harm

So, in my bedroom in those 'ugly new houses'
I danced my legs down to the knees
But me and my 'true love'
Will never meet again ...

At the record company meeting
On their hands - at last ! - a dead star !
But they can never taint you in my eyes
No, they can never touch you now

No, they cannot hurt you, my darling
They cannot touch you now
But me and my 'true love'
Will never meet again

Great lyrics and my point in this is to write most of the stuff Morrissey wrote, you need to be a genius. The use of words is fantastic.

Yes, that's the title of the song by The Smiths, the lyrics I added were from that song, and Ronson covered it.

PANIC:

Panic on the streets of London
Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again ?
The Leeds side-streets that you slip down
I wonder to myself
Hopes may rise on the Grasmere
But Honey Pie, you're not safe here
So you run down
To the safety of the town
But there's Panic on the streets of Carlisle
Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
I wonder to myself

Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play

On the Leeds side-streets that you slip down
Provincial towns you jog 'round
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ

More lyrical genius....

Beats..I wish they all could be californian girls....anyone could write that

Yeah I see where you are coming from there....did his brain stall at that point? :whistling:

Beats..I wish they all could be californian girls....anyone could write that

Are you referring to the lyrics or the actual song?

At the age Wilson wrote that, I don't think Morrissey had had a single song published. It therefore seems a bit unfair to be comparing stuff that Wilson wrote as a kid to the pick of Morrissey's work, but even as a Smiths fan, I can understand why you wouldn't want to try and compare any of Morrissey's albums to Pet Sounds.

Thanks to Cricko for posting (my brother) BarnaBlue's testament to BW from his holiday destination.

This is a really interesting one for me as I grew up with the sound of The Beach Boys emanating from the dansette in his room - and it was an alluring sound, I must admit. Fast forward nearly twenty years later and I'm living in a small room in a poky flat in North London with the early Smiths albums and singles offering me some congruent respite from the misery I was experiencing in my psychiatric nurse training. The Smiths offered great solace - I loved the arch humour in Morrissey's lyrics and that Johnny Marr jangly guitar was a revelation. What a perfect juxtaposition of plaintive vocals, introspective concerns and uplifting guitar. Morrissey may have sounded melancholic, but Marr brought a little flutter of joy to proceedings. Thankfully, not too much though.

Fast forward another ten years and I got 'Pet Sounds' with all the cd extra tracks. Now I think that this is pretty timeless, stand alone music. There is genuine emotion in songs such as 'Caroline No' and 'That's Not Me' which go beyond the formulaic. Morrissey was a great lyricist - I think 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes' is wonderful poetry in its own right - but without Marr, his songs are nowhere near as captivating as they were in The Smiths' heyday. Wilson was able to create music that really can still stir the soul. I think that his music will live longer in the soul memory than Morrissey's, so that's why I'm backing Barna on this one despite being a big Smiths fan and retaining a liking for some of Mozzer's solo work.

I think Van Morrison tops the both of them though.

Everyday Is Like Sunday is actually about Blackpool but when that towns council read the lyrics they banned Mozza from filming there so he filmed the video in Southend instead .. it does hurt when you hear him singing "in the seaside town, they forgot to close down" accompanied by shots of my home town

Everyday Is Like Sunday is actually about Blackpool but when that towns council read the lyrics they banned Mozza from filming there so he filmed the video in Southend instead .. it does hurt when you hear him singing "in the seaside town, they forgot to close down" accompanied by shots of my home town

Nice clip of The Golden Disc though.

Back