• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep, RIP Paul.

I always used to go to away games on his coaches back in the day - before I could drive and supporting SUFC was the only thing that mattered in life.

Was a nice guy and such a shame...

Paul's funeral will be next Tuesday 14th December at 2:40 pm, Southend Crematorium.

Never knew Paul at all but reading all the posts it is very apparent that he gave a lot of himself to the Club, its fans and the shrimpers community.
It's a sad day for clubs like ours when such people who give so much of their time, energy and passion pass away.

Is there any way all of our posts can be passed to his friends and family?

RIP Paul

I can only echo what has been written about Paul, i got to know him through the away coaches then the Nelson and the Shoebury Hotel. I used to pick him up from Thorpe Bay station in my cab and take to home to Shoebury all the time, the conversations were never dull, what you saw was what you got with Paul, i can still picture him now in his long crombie coat with a VAT in his hand.

I last saw Paul in Shoebury just before i moved to Espana, all though not well he still talked of the mighty Shrimpers the team he loved and followed with such a passion.

Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time

RIP Paul

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Dec. 07 2004,05:12)]Is there any way all of our posts can be passed to his friends and family?
I intend to print this whole thread and pass it on to Nigel, Paul's brother. His family may not be ready to read the comments right now but in time I hope that all of the kind comments and warm memories that have been posted on here will offer some comfort.

Just an update on yesterday.

I would estimate that, in addition to family & other friends, (appropriately) around a coach load of Southend fans attended Paul's funeral, i.e certainly more than 40 of us.  There were also several who had contacted Nigel to say that, mainly due to work commitments, they were unable to make it.  It was good to see Siadwell down from Cambridge & Mikey Emmons from the wilds of Lincolnshire.

His coffin was, also appropriately for a man proud of his Englishness, shrouded in the Cross of St George with the main floral tribute also a cross of red roses.

A tribute to Paul was made by his friend from childhood & fellow Shrimper, Colin, with a mixture of humour & reflection which indeed brought a tear to the eye.  I know Andrew (Ron) circulated the messages from SZ to people at the Con Club after the service & they were warmly received.

A sad but dignified day.

Just to echo what Hooly has said. A fantastic turnout of Shrimpers to show their respects, looking around there were so many old faces familiar from miles of travelling up and down the country. Such a shame that this gathering was due to such sad circumstances but that is often the way unfortunately.

I did indeed print this thread yesterday to allow those present who don't access the site to read the messages. It was also handed to Paul's brother Nigel so the family could see all the kind thoughts and memories that were posted.

Colin's speech did indeed bring a tear to many a hardened football fans eye but also raised a chuckle or two with his anecdotes of trips to farflung outposts of the league.

I am still a little delicate after an appropriately boozy wake and I'm sure that wherever Paul was watching over us from he'd have approved of the send off.

Back