• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sawyer Must Start Campaign

Maybe not even start him, he's a great impact player who you can put on and he'll run at the defence, and when they're tired that's what we need. He dribbles with it and can run everywhere. If Tilly thinks Macca is that vital why doesn't he just put Sawyer on earlier, his "only make subs in the last 3 minutes" is starting to cost us this season, more than ever. There have been games were it has been crying out for a player like Sawyer to come on and run at the defence but Tilly always leaves it too late.

If moussa is out for a bit then I'd push macca out to the left and bring sawyer in along grant (or JFC).

sawyer is naturally gifted but I am pretty sure he has got no-where like 90 mins in him - also can he be trusted with taking on team defensive and tactical responsiblities and also not just getting turned over all day by leagues ones cloggers - he doesn't do much for our defensive shape -

despite his ability hes got a lot to learn about the professional game -- to start him would know is probably too soon -

think first substitution for Laurent works well -

Tilson is pretty skilled at developing young players

I think Lee Sawyer could be a gem of a player - he did really well for us last season playing alongside JFC in the centre of the park, but as people have already stated, it would be a risk putting him in there to partner Macca.

In terms of footballing ability, you could argue that Lee Sawyer is a more gifted individual, but we only have him here until January, and I'm not sure what kind of message or impact it would have to put him in ahead of one of our seasoned and most senior pro's.

There is a case for him though - we desperately need a midfielder who can create in the centre of the park, whether that be by way of incisive passing or just being involved enough in and around the oppositions penalty area, and Sawyer does fit that bill. Could it be that Macca should play a deeper role, protecting the back four, and breaking up the play in the centre of the park? I think his game could be tailored to achieve that, whilst also having the engine to break forward if required. I'd certainly have no problem with Tilly giving it a try, because a player with a creative influence is what we so badly miss - and may also be capable of passing the ball to Dougie's feet!!

The right side of midfield is a non starter for me - he is not a right sided player, and when he was used there for Wycmbe last season, he was largely ineffective. IMO we have solved that problem by playing Laurent there - he is a real and genuine threat for us now, and at last we have an outlet out wide for us to use - Not a chance should we be thinking about taking Laurent out of that position in the team.

I think sawyer is the one and should be given a start but..........macca did set up barneys second on sat credit where its due

.....who was put in the clear by a great ball from Francis. I just think, as good as he is, Sawyer is not disciplined enough for Tilly. When he came on on Sat, he left Francis (who was having a bit of a marish 20mins anyway!) so exposed he had two to contend with too many times.

In terms of footballing ability, you could argue that Lee Sawyer is a more gifted individual, but we only have him here until January, and I'm not sure what kind of message or impact it would have to put him in ahead of one of our seasoned and most senior pro's.

but following the same logic, what message does it give futures potential loanees.- come to Southend, you may be brilliant but we won't play you in case it upsets our senior pro's. Would you comne to Southend on loan if you were not getting played and worse will the like's of Chelsea send us gifted loanees if we don't play them ?

Everyone should play on their merits . I would like to think that Sawyer is not playing for a good footballing reason that we are not aware off . I would also like to think that we are keeping Chelsea updated as appropriate .

but following the same logic, what message does it give futures potential loanees.- come to Southend, you may be brilliant but we won't play you in case it upsets our senior pro's. Would you comne to Southend on loan if you were not getting played and worse will the like's of Chelsea send us gifted loanees if we don't play them ?

Everyone should play on their merits . I would like to think that Sawyer is not playing for a good footballing reason that we are not aware off . I would also like to think that we are keeping Chelsea updated as appropriate .

I think a few people have already given the reason, for example

Sawyer must have the worst attitude to training at the club, thats surely the only reason why he cant be starting.

and

Apparently Sawyer has a bad attitude in training, but then apparently it is no worse then someone elses in the team.

They are completely different players. TBH Macca might not be the first name on Tilly's team sheet but is probably the third. Every team needs a player like Macca who breaks up play and gets stuck in. It's not pretty, it's not often popular but it's essential.
Sawyer is a play maker. My guess is Tilly feels Sawyer does not add sufficiently in the defensive side and the work rate side of things. Listen to his interview to see what made him so pleased about yesterday. it will change
For me this is why Macca gets in ahead of Sawyer,and i dont think it will change untill Sawyer has to be played because of injuries, then maybe he can prove he has a defencive game.

I think a few people have already given the reason, for example

and

That said though with the greatest of repsect to both posters all the information we get comes second hand at best. If one person says something it tends to spread like wild fire and become gosspal.

You cant fault Sawyer for effort on the pitch and he made all the right sound bytes when we signed. Maybe if he has a bad attitude its frustration at no playing when he may feel he has more to offer than others players such as JFC based on saturdays performance.

as much as i am a fan of JFC, he is not playing well at the moment, and made Macce, who was also not on top form, look good on Saturday. Sawyer looks so fresh and invigorating for the team when he comes on, and needs to be starting, probably at the expense of JCF unfortunatly. In the long term, hopefully a spell out of the team will do JFC good, and surely an inform JFC next to Sawyer is out best pairing (assuming Granty is playing elsewhere)

JFC did what he was in the team to do. He broke up play on numerous occasions, and it was noticeable that when he had a dip immediatley after our 2nd goal, BR got back into the game.

JFC did what he was in the team to do. He broke up play on numerous occasions, and it was noticeable that when he had a dip immediatley after our 2nd goal, BR got back into the game.

Cant agree with that.

I thought he was woeful saturday. He gave the ball away so many times and seemed to be chasing shadows when it came to there main attacking player (Lines) who in fairness was really good.

I thought JFC got better with 15 to go but before that I thought he was terrible.

Im with DTS on this one

he may have broken up the game occasionally and won the ball, but its no good winning the ball, if you are then going to spend half an hour deciding who to pass it too, and even then, making the wrong choice once you eventually decide. time and time again on saturday he was not quick enough with the ball and made bad choices.

Im sure JFC is a much better player than the one on Saturday, but you're only as good as your last game

JFC barely won the ball on saturday, he did a reasonable job of jockeying players out wide and he supported Friend and Francis, however it was too easy for Bristol Rovers to get through our midfield and attack Grant and Barrett, and to be honest Grant showed he's much more disaplined, as well as a much tougher tackler. Currently my first choice midfiield would be:

Macca Grant Sawyer Moussa

If Macca is carrying a knock on his ankle (seen no evidence of this, he seemed alright in SS9 on Saturday night!)... then he should be allowed to play in the middle. He'd support Francis well and with a bit more ability in the middle we'll be able to support the attackers as well as relieving the pressure from the defense.

Sawyer and Macca can't play alongside each other in the middle of the park. Why convert Macca to a holding midfielder when we already have two at the Club in the shape of JFC and Grant?

Everyone knows my thoughts on Sawyer. The boy is one of the best players at the Club, and the type of player we could build a team round for years to come IF we could sign him full time. Yes, he needs a holding midfielder alongside him because of his weaknesses in defending, but like I say, we have JFC who he formed a great partnership with last season, and Grant who have possibly played football together in Chelsea's youth teams.

In his last two cameo appearances from the bench, Sawyer has shown more than Macca did in the same games in my opinion.

Yes of course Sawyer should be in our team ! thats been obvious all season !

i also dont think that tilly is being very clever here as we are risking pee ing off Sawyer if he ever was released by chelsea , he would surely want to go somewhere that he feels wanted + will actually play week in wek out! on top of that Chelsea wont be impressed with us as they are not getting one of their young starlets any experience which is why they wanted him to return here... therefore next time we want to loan a chelsea reserve player they will tell us to poke it !
Sawyer should play right midfield + keep Laurent as an impact sub

Sawyer and Macca can't play alongside each other in the middle of the park. Why convert Macca to a holding midfielder when we already have two at the Club in the shape of JFC and Grant?

What evidence do you have for that, other than your own belief? They've only had short spells together, and there's nothing I've seen to convince me it's a no go. Something some of us have been saying it's worth trying for some time.

I think sawyer is the one and should be given a start but..........macca did set up barneys second on sat credit where its due

McCormack also set up the goal from the right-wing.

.....who was put in the clear by a great ball from Francis. I just think, as good as he is, Sawyer is not disciplined enough for Tilly. When he came on on Sat, he left Francis (who was having a bit of a marish 20mins anyway!) so exposed he had two to contend with too many times.

I'd suggest he was put in the clear by some horrific defending.

What evidence do you have for that, other than your own belief? They've only had short spells together, and there's nothing I've seen to convince me it's a no go. Something some of us have been saying it's worth trying for some time.

You need someone in midfield who can defend. McCormack hasn't got the positional discipline to sit and hold. You need someone like a Bailey or a Maher (or a Christophe or a Grant).

Have they ever actually played together ?

Dont think they did last season as Sawyer was here when Macca was out injured.

Back