• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scared of losing?

Lenny808

Caught something on the snooker over the weekend which made me think....it was about the psychology of being "scared of losing".

Got a feeling that's where the team is at the moment and why the recent run of bad results have been so poor.

Opinions?

Indeed it creates a negative climate of motivation which has been proven to give a decrease in performance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ May 03 2005,10:35)]Indeed it creates a negative climate of motivation which has been proven to give a decrease in performance.
Tired, nervous, and currently low self-esteem.

The solution is to provide a climate of total support, approval, appreciation and praise for what they have achieved.

Lets ALL go to Grimsby, and get behind the team for this one last push for the line!

I will be there trying to lift the team, but, I feel we have given our all from the Mill Stadium game through to Yeovil and it has not lifted them to victory. So give all the rallying war cries you like the game will be won or lost by 11 men on the pitch not us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ May 03 2005,10:58)]I will be there trying to lift the team, but, I feel we have given our all from the Mill Stadium game through to Yeovil and it has not lifted them to victory. So give all the rallying war cries you like the game will be won or lost by 11 men on the pitch not us.
Usually agree with you, Fitter, but that is too defeatist. I can give you many examples of the fans making all the difference, including a case where Gary Nelson, in the Echo, actually credited the West Bank for a goal he set up for Keith "Barrel" Mercer.

We can sit here and dread what is to come, or we can do everything in our power to influence the result. Get sending cards, letters, e-mail, whatever, to the team just thanking them for giving us one of the best seasons many of us can remember. They need to know how much they are appreciated FOR WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY ACHIEVED. After the Grimsby game nmight be too late.

I'm getting more buoyant as the week goes by and with the tickets arriving today, I'm starting to feel the nerves...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 03 2005,11:28)]I'm getting more buoyant as the week goes by and with the tickets arriving today, I'm starting to feel the nerves...
Put that renewed optimism to good use.. Get praising the team NOW - send that e-mail while you are still on line, get that card in the post. We CAN make a difference!

I signed up for overtime on Friday night so i don't lay at home unable to sleep. Only problem is i will finish at 5. am. So 3 hours later i will be on the coach leaving from Asda.

So can everyone on my coach keep quiet so i can get a few hours sleep.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 03 2005,11:38)]I signed up for overtime on Friday night so i don't lay at home unable to sleep. Only problem is i will finish at 5. am. So 3 hours later i will be on the coach leaving from Asda.

So can everyone on my coach keep quiet so i can get a few hours sleep.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Industrial strength ear plugs might be in order I reckon!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,11:08)]Usually agree with you, Fitter, but that is too defeatist. I can give you many examples of the fans making all the difference,
I'd say that playing in front of big crowds at the Millenium Stadium and against Orient, Oxford (in terms of away following) and Yeovil was a factor in our defeat, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it made all the difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ May 03 2005,11:46)]Whats the address we should send these emails to?
e-mails to:

media@southend-united.co.uk

or write to the team at:

Southend United Football Club Limited
Roots Hall Football Ground
Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6NQ

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,12:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ May 03 2005,11:46)]Whats the address we should send these emails to?
e-mails to:

or write to the team at:

Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6NQ
Isn't that Scriv's e-mail address?

As fun as it would be to spam him, wouldn't it be easier if we just got Dave to pass on a single message?

A single message wouldn't have the same effect though i feel as everyone on shrimperzone sending their support.
The players have worked their arses off this year and i think sending a paragraph on so wishing them good luck and thanking them for their efforts whatever the outcome of the match isn't beyond anybodies capabilities.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ May 03 2005,12:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,12:00)]
[b said:
e-mails to:

or write to the team at:

Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6NQ
Isn't that Scriv's e-mail address?

As fun as it would be to spam him, wouldn't it be easier if we just got Dave to pass on a single message?
Yes, spoke to Dave on the phone and he said that was the best on to use. And as Yorkshire Bambi says, a lot of people taking a few seconds to show their appreciation means a lot more than just one "inclusive" SZ message.

If it doesn't make a difference so be it - but all the Sports Psychologists (do a google) emphasise the importance of praise and appreciation, especially when it comes unexpectedly. For all the effort it takes, why not try it?

Does anybody know if the club have any dealings with a sports psychologist at all. I'm assuming they don't have a full time shrink but maybe on a part time basis.
Maybe this week would be a good time for the players to have a session to get their confidence up after a bad spell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,12:22)]For all the effort it takes, why not try it?
Sent the e-mail below.

Matt

= = = = = = = = = =

<span style='color:blue'>To the players and management at Roots Hall

Dear All,

This is just a quick note to wish you all the very best this week, and for Saturday.

Last Saturday&#39;s result is history, gone. There is nothing to be gained by dwelling on it. On the other hand, you all have a fantastic future ahead of you. You have all been fantastic this season - true heroes, every one of you. You have dragged a club from the bottom of the pit and taken it to the brink of greatness.

All that you need to do is take that final step this weekend. The game against Grimsby isn&#39;t a cup final. It isn&#39;t a matter of life or death. It&#39;s just 90 minutes of football against a group of inferior players. Kevin Maher can keep Thomas Pinault quiet - he did that in the LDV last season. The defence will continue to be magnificent, as you have been all season. We have the two greatest central defenders in the division after all (one officially so), two of the best full-backs we&#39;ve had in years and a superb keeper.

It&#39;s just up to the rest of the midfield and the strikers to go out and enjoy themselves on Saturday. There&#39;s nothing riding on your goals - because our fate will be determined by events at Gigg Lane. Isn&#39;t it funny how that ground is synonymous with Southend&#39;s success, though? It will be again this weekend.

So, just go up to Blundell Park and enjoy yourselves. You are amongst the best players in the division. You deserve to be playing at a higher level next season. So just play like we know you can, like you know you can - and enjoy the moment. Enjoy scoring the goals, enjoy keeping the possession, and play like there&#39;s no tomorrow.

Because ultimately it doesn&#39;t matter how you do on Saturday - we have all had a fantastic season, and each and every one of you is a champion in our eyes. Just go out there and show us that you believe you are champions too.

PROUD OF YOU
PROUD TO BE BLUE

Matt</span>

Never mind all this we&#39;re so proud of you for what you&#39;ve done so far this season. If we don&#39;t go up, it&#39;s because we&#39;ve bottled it in the past few games (Maccy an exception).

Respect due mate, I&#39;ll take time to write something, though it won&#39;t be so eloquent.

Back