• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scared of losing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ May 03 2005,12:50)]Never mind all this we're so proud of you for what you've done so far this season. If we don't go up, it's because we've bottled it in the past few games (Maccy an exception).
Shags, what bit of "let's get behind them" are you struggling with?

rock.gif

So feckin' what if the players have bottled it recently? Let's get behind them - now and, if need be, in the coming weeks.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 03 2005,12:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ May 03 2005,12:50)]Never mind all this we're so proud of you for what you've done so far this season. If we don't go up, it's because we've bottled it in the past few games (Maccy an exception).
Shags, what bit of "let's get behind them" are you struggling with?

rock.gif

So feckin' what if the players have bottled it recently? Let's get behind them - now and, if need be, in the coming weeks.

Matt
Did he ever say he wasn't going to get behind them?! He's right in saying the players have completely bottled it in the past few weeks. No-one can deny that. He still gets behind them vocally (i should know!) and will be there Saturday ...

[b said:
Harsh, TFS, they have played 54 games this season, and they are, in the words of The Times, running on Adrenalin. They were unlucky on Saturday, the match could have gone either way. Stop fishing for a minute, and be serious. What Matt has sent is spot on. We can make a difference and you can be part of that. Send a (sensible and serious!) e-mail of support now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 03 2005,13:00)]He's right in saying the players have completely bottled it in the past few weeks. No-one can deny that.
I deny that. "Bottling it" implies a lack of character and desire. I don't think it is fair to impute that to the squad. They have played 54 games this season, they are exhausted, and if anything they have over achieved. Yeovil had a similar wobble a few games ago. Their fans stuck with them, and pulled them through it and it is what we need to do for Southend. Send an e-mail of support - it's simple and effective.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,13:04)]
[b said:
Harsh, TFS, they have played 54 games this season, and they are, in the words of The Times, running on Adrenalin. They were unlucky on Saturday, the match could have gone either way.  Stop fishing for a minute, and be serious. What Matt has sent is spot on. We can make a difference and you can be part of that. Send a (sensible and serious!) e-mail of support now.
This isn't fishing. The fact is we have now lost 3 of our last 4 league games, where 1 extra win would mean we would have been top/joint top of the league.

Yes they might well be running on adrenalin but does that excuse the fact that against Oxford for example we only started playing in the 2nd half! If we had started like that then we would have won that game. Yes, Saturday was unlucky, BUT because of that we now go to Grimsby knowing that even a win might not be enough!

I will as always back the club and be optimistic when i am in their presence i.e. tomorrow night and will always get behind the team at the ground and will do so again on Saturday, but I stand by the fact that if we don't go up it's because we've bottled it. I don't buy this tiredness arguement - they're professionals.

Other reasons we might not go up:

1. Getting rid of Bramble limited our options up front.
2. We've become too predictable.
3. The team has been chopped and changed too much in recent weeks. When we were on our run it was pretty much the same team week in week out.

Yes, but instead of focussing on reasons we might not go up, why not just stop bloody dwelling on it and thinking of reasons we might go up!!!

1. We're in third
2. We have a better goal difference than Swansea
3. We're playing reasonably well on the road even after the Mill Stad (e.g. Macc Town, 2nd half v. Oxford)
4. We have Fredy
5. We have Adam Barrett
6. Bury are the form team in the Div at the moment
7. Swansea lost to Bury earlier in the season
8. Bury have a fantastic keeper
9. Swansea are lousy on the road

etc. etc. I could go on. My point is - what on earth will we gain by dwelling on reasons why the team may or may not have bottled it? Why don't we all just focus on reasons why we may well be celebrating promotion at 5pm on Saturday?

Banish the negativity - the only people who gain from that will be the Swans!!

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ May 03 2005,13:20)]This isn't fishing. The fact is we have now lost 3 of our last 4 league games, where 1 extra win would mean we would have been top/joint top of the league.

Yes they might well be running on adrenalin but does that excuse the fact that against Oxford for example we only started playing in the 2nd half! If we had started like that then we would have won that game. Yes, Saturday was unlucky, BUT because of that we now go to Grimsby knowing that even a win might not be enough!

I will as always back the club and be optimistic when i am in their presence i.e. tomorrow night and will always get behind the team at the ground and will do so again on Saturday, but I stand by the fact that if we don't go up it's because we've bottled it. I don't buy this tiredness arguement - they're professionals.

Other reasons we might not go up:

1. Getting rid of Bramble limited our options up front.
2. We've become too predictable.
3. The team has been chopped and changed too much in recent weeks. When we were on our run it was pretty much the same team week in week out.
I don't feel that the team need excuses. They may be professionals, but they have still played a hell of a lot of games with quite a small squad.

As has been said time and again, if we had been offered this situation after the first 5 games, we would have jumped at it. The team are victims of their own success now - our expectations have been raised and now we see anything but automatic promotion as failure. This is Tilly's first full season as a manager. He has done a fantastic job, but of course he still has a lot to learn. I am not going to criticise him for what we might now see as mistakes. I am just amazed he has made so few. I am not a blinkered optimist - I have following SUFC too long for that, and I was gutted on Saturday. But now it is down to the most important game of the season, and if we can do ANYTHING to help the team then surely it is our duty to do it. Would it hurt just to send a short e-mail or postcard of support now?

I haven't and wouldn't dream of questioning your support for the club. And apologies for thinking you might be fishing, don't know why I might think that with you...
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,13:45)]As has been said time and again, if we had been offered this situation after the first 5 games, we would have jumped at it. The team are victims of their own success now - our expectations have been raised and now we see anything but automatic promotion as failure.
Of course we would have jumped at it after the first 5 games!!

However, I feel this has been the best Southend squad for donkeys years and is deserving of promotion. As a result, and quite rightly so, peoples expectations are high - After all we were top of the league a week past friday. Too end up finishing 4th 3 games after reaching the peak would be a massive blow.

I still believe we are in the driving seat though on saturday. Surely it's better think negative thoughts and prepare for the worst on here.

BTW - I can do better than e-mail the club and players my support. I'll tell them in person tomorrow night over dinner and a beer (well i'll be on the beer - if i see any of them drinking i'll have to confiscate it!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ May 03 2005,13:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 03 2005,13:45)]As has been said time and again, if we had been offered this situation after the first 5 games, we would have jumped at it. The team are victims of their own success now - our expectations have been raised and now we see anything but automatic promotion as failure.
Of course we would have jumped at it after the first 5 games!!

However, I feel this has been the best Southend squad for donkeys years and is deserving of promotion. As a result, and quite rightly so, peoples expectations are high - After all we were top of the league a week past friday. Too end up finishing 4th 3 games after reaching the peak would be a massive blow.

I still believe we are in the driving seat though on saturday. Surely it's better think negative thoughts and prepare for the worst on here.

BTW - I can do better than e-mail the club and players my support. I'll tell them in person tomorrow night over dinner and a beer (well i'll be on the beer - if i see any of them drinking i'll have to confiscate it!)
Absolutely agree. I have had my hopes dashed by Southend too many times already, and this feels as bad as the worst. Just think the time for negativity is for after everything possible has been done. I don't want to think that people are being dissuaded from contacting the club with messages of support because we are all under a pall of gloom.

Enjoy the dinner and beer - I envy you.

PS - you could still e-mail, the more they get the more it means to them....

smile.gif

Quite agree regarding the emails. Can't hurt and shows how much we're behind the lads. Sent mine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lenny808 @ May 03 2005,14:30)]Quite agree regarding the emails. Can't hurt and shows how much we're behind the lads. Sent mine.
Good stuff Paul! Maybe the trust could do an e-mail to trust members suggesting they send an e-mail to the club as well?

Wouldn't hurt.

Back