• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should Tilson go now?

Should Tilson go now?

• Yes

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 143 85.6%

• Total voters
I say let January decide if Tilson can turn it round then I am all for it, but if not then I feel a change could be in order.

Also that poll to me does show a drop in support for Tilson.

I say let January decide if Tilson can turn it round then I am all for it, but if not then I feel a change could be in order.

Also that poll to me does show a drop in support for Tilson.

75% support for Tllson is pretty damn good considering the lack of goals
and performances of late.

The stick he's coming under from the minority is appalling and shows lack of vision or appreciation of the rebuilding process which is on-going.

He, Brush and the squad will turn it around, nothing can be more certain IMO.

75% support for Tllson is pretty damn good considering the lack of goals
and performances of late.

The stick he's coming under from the minority is appalling and shows lack of vision or appreciation of the rebuilding process which is on-going.

He, Brush and the squad will turn it around, nothing can be more certain IMO.

Blind faith - the most dangerous kind!

I seem to recall there was a similar debate on here last year, and Tilly turned what was an average looking season into us getting to the play offs. He fully deserves our support to turn this season around, but also beyond this season. There have been lots of changes of personnel and the loss of Gower and whatever you think of him, Bailey has been incalculable. Those two along with Macca contributed over 30 goals to the cause. We don't have that level of ammunition at the moment, but I have every hope that a Christophe/McCormack partnership will prove fruitful. Along with a few other judicious signings in the window.

What many forget is the continuity that a long term manager can bring to a club, Ferguson ay Man Ure, Wenger at Arsenal and more pertinent for our level Dario Gradi at Crewe. It seems that we have a good batch of youngsters coming through, Moussa & Herd have already made the first team, and O'Keefe is on the periphery. So we come to the scenario that the Tilson out brigade get what they want and he leaves or is sacked. A new guy comes in with his own ideas and backroom team. Out goes Ricky Duncan and the promising kids who aren't yet on pro contracts, they may go on to other clubs and gain those clubs rich pickings in the transfer market.

Having supported this club for more years than I can remember, the years when we have had continuity in the management team have been the best for the club. Look at the SUFC Database and look at the records of Rowley, Smith, Webb and now Tilson and tell me I am wrong.

Then look at the years when we have had the likes of Morris, Moore, Bate, Newman, Little, Martin, Whelan, Taylor, Wignall, Clark, Thompson, Fry etc. I doubt if any of these luminaries had much more than a year at the helm before they left or were fired. Just on those names alone Tilson needs to be supported by both the club and its so called supporters.

Don't you believe in the evidence of your own eyes then over the past 5 seasons ?

But does that guarantee another 5 years?

The last 3 seasons...

Relegation
Play off loss
As for this season I doubt we will make the play offs so I see a 3 year drop in performance.

I am all for Tilson coming up with the goods but your a fool to suggest 5 more years of glory WILL happen!!!

I seem to recall there was a similar debate on here last year, and Tilly turned what was an average looking season into us getting to the play offs. He fully deserves our support to turn this season around, but also beyond this season. There have been lots of changes of personnel and the loss of Gower and whatever you think of him, Bailey has been incalculable. Those two along with Macca contributed over 30 goals to the cause. We don't have that level of ammunition at the moment, but I have every hope that a Christophe/McCormack partnership will prove fruitful. Along with a few other judicious signings in the window.

What many forget is the continuity that a long term manager can bring to a club, Ferguson ay Man Ure, Wenger at Arsenal and more pertinent for our level Dario Gradi at Crewe. It seems that we have a good batch of youngsters coming through, Moussa & Herd have already made the first team, and O'Keefe is on the periphery. So we come to the scenario that the Tilson out brigade get what they want and he leaves or is sacked. A new guy comes in with his own ideas and backroom team. Out goes Ricky Duncan and the promising kids who aren't yet on pro contracts, they may go on to other clubs and gain those clubs rich pickings in the transfer market.

Having supported this club for more years than I can remember, the years when we have had continuity in the management team have been the best for the club. Look at the SUFC Database and look at the records of Rowley, Smith, Webb and now Tilson and tell me I am wrong.

Then look at the years when we have had the likes of Morris, Moore, Bate, Newman, Little, Martin, Whelan, Taylor, Wignall, Clark, Thompson, Fry etc. I doubt if any of these luminaries had much more than a year at the helm before they left or were fired. Just on those names alone Tilson needs to be supported by both the club and its so called supporters.

Little, Martin and Newman all had well over a year!

and to be fair Little was starting to get things right when he was sacked

Continuity as expressed above is exactly what is needed.

T & B will whip this bunch into shape or have a clear out when and if they feel it necessary, not when a couple of natives become restless.

Above all, Tilly will give the players sufficient loyalty and every chance to turn thongs around on the field.

The last 3 seasons...

Relegation
Play off loss
As for this season I doubt we will make the play offs so I see a 3 year drop in performance.

I am all for Tilson coming up with the goods but your a fool to suggest 5 more years of glory WILL happen!!!

Relegation from the Championship that we had over achieved to get into with a remarkable promotion campaign. Play of loss is hardly a bad thing is it and 6th place is not too bad. And remember that every season around ten teams end up in mid table with nothing much to play for and this season that could be us. Get over it.

Oh and you still owe me £20 for those LH raffle tickets!!!

The last 3 seasons...

Relegation
Play off loss

You just suggested that and made it up yourself, so who's the fool ?

I stated we have had 5 years of unprecedented success and suggest you consider the record under T & B.

Don't think that alone will automaticly will lead to any amount of further success, but simply that there is every reason to believe the re-building process will under his management reap rewards in time as we are unlikely to have multi millions sluishing around to buy quicker fixes.

Last edited:
Is this one of these computerised threads that kick in automatically every time there is a mini crisis? Or perhaps someone has got wind of another Icelandic billionaire that is going to swoop in for the club and install Arsene Wenger, whom he will convince needs a new challenge, as manager.
None of us are eternal........not even Tilly. One day........the day will come..........
.......but that day will be decided by Tilly, or, more likely, Ron. For the moment, for all his faults, he is the best we have and more importantly the best we are likely to have.
We do better on here, making constructive criticism of what we perceive to be his errors (his changes in defence against MKD's, shifting Francis to the wing, automatically bringing back Barrett etc), than calling for his head. I'm sure these criticisms get back to him, directly or indirectly and in some minute way help form his ideas and decision making in the future.

Refuse to believe 80 % of Shrimperzoners are wrong.

Keep the Tilly in votes coming to show him how much he is supported, even when things are not going quite so well as we would all like.

We will overcome and come back fighting.

Makes me sick to the pit of my stomach too read some of the crap spouted on here.

Tilly has given us in four/five seasons - x2 promotions, 1x play offs final win, 1x semi final of play offs, 2 x LDV final visits, victory against the biggest club in the world probably and yet some of you still moan.

Oh my god were not in the top half of the table in December - Lets get rid of him. We have such a good track record of appointing new managers after all dont we. And there are so many tip top managers out that would just love to come to Southend.

Time for a reality check - We have not been good all season apart from a spell where all the loaness joined. Being 13th or wherever we currently sit is not the end of the world. If we were in the relegation zone I could maybe for a second just about understand a few peoples comments but come on.....A couple of wins and we could be right up there.
To the same point at pesimist would say a few defeats and were right down there I guess.

Personally I think it will be a dark day in the history of SUFC if Tilson was dismissed any time soon based on being mid table in a league higher than he started with us in.

Absolutely not.

Excellent performance yesterday but sadly no goals - and it wasn't a corner for their first goal.

Tilly always trys to play football home and away and does not resort to the one up front (Wignall), boring defensive (Little), long ball (Murphy) utterly mediocre (Newman) etc rubbish we have had to endure for years and years and years.

You try managing the team with no money and few permanaent players because we can't afford the wages for enough good players.

And you try managing a team when your best players and best in the league (Flahahvan, Mulgrew, Bailey, Gower) are sold or given away or (in Mulgrew's case) not pursued because of the cash position.

Di Mateo said in his interview that we plaled very well and were unlucky - pretty accurate but we (still) need a proper centre forward (but who doesn't?).

What a short memory.

Sounds like Di Matteo said much the same as we heard after the Leicester game, and maybe the fact that we do try and play football away is what's the issue here. It's not in Tilly's nature to advocate shutting up shop but to continue pushing for a win, just sometimes maybe it might be better to hold out for a draw? Having said that, I'd much rather be thought of as an attractive footballing team rather than a typical lower league hoof it and hack it type team.

The thing is, the style of play has got so stale, along with Tilson's tactics.

Just reading his post match review of today's game is just painful. When is he ever going to come out and say he got it wrong etc, all he does is make excuses about luck, and not getting the rub of the green. In this game you make your own luck.

QUOTE]

Why are people so obsessed with what he says. He shouldn't be identifying to the press (or us) what went wrong, how his tactics should change etc. Nor should he be criticising his players. These are things Im sure he deals with behind closed doors, with his players and back room staff.

Part of a mangers job I'm afraid and bigger managers than Tilson have to do it so why should he be excused

Continuity as expressed above is exactly what is needed.

T & B will whip this bunch into shape or have a clear out when and if they feel it necessary, not when a couple of natives become restless.

Above all, Tilly will give the players sufficient loyalty and every chance to turn thongs around on the field.

Continuity is also required on the pitch too, and I don't think you can shape a season around a bunch of loan players. This isn't Tilsons fault, at least not entirely, but the incoming loan players and Tilsons handling of them will shape the rest of the season.

The next four months will be the toughest test of his management career and if he's still at the helm next year (and I for one hope he will be), he'll be the stronger for it.

I haven't made it to any games since Oldham, and it doesn't sound like I've missed much.

As much as I'm looking forward to Chelsea, it ain't going to be pretty!

As usual and boring, we see the should Tilson go now threads appear...

I ask you one thing, if he did go who would we get who would be any better? These jobs always go to somebody on the gravy train who have been sacked numerous times before and pitch up to take the latest vacancy, knowing if they screw up they will come out with a pay off that most of us can onlt dream about. Either that or a young manager with much to prove who if he succeeds will be off like a shot when a better job comes along.

Tilson still has much to offer this club and should stay - period.

Part of a mangers job I'm afraid and bigger managers than Tilson have to do it so why should he be excused

People are obsessed becasue it matters to them and it is such a simple thing to get right. He doesn't need to slag off individual players , but he can simply say 'today we were not good enough' and leave it at that. Other (world class) managers do it, its just stating the obvious. To keep saying bad luck when we were poor (I don't mean Saturday as I was not there) just annoys people.-------------and leads to futher questioning.

The bigger question is who replaces him?

Personally i think its looking more and more like being between a rock and a hard place for you as fans. I have seen you play a couple of times and i have yet to be convinced the team knows what there roles are.

If it was any other club and if FF wasn't being built would he be safe?

Back