• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimperzone? More like War Zone...

I agree with the OP. I used to drop in to SZ once or twice a day - updates on the football, good range of opinions - and many many articulate posters. And then I started blocking one or two contributors mainly for taking over every thread and constant negativity. Now I only visit once a week and I have to say (with a heavy heart) that life feels much more positive. I fear it won’t be long before I become another ex reader (and donator).

It shouldn’t be this way of course.
I have supported Blues since I was seven in the late 1980s and I’ve been hooked since attending my first ever game.

From the early days of whacking my feet on the East Stand floor whenever the Shrimpers were awarded a corner to now be covering the action for the Echo, my hometown club have always been at the forefront of my mind.

And it is a special side to support too.

Yes, I’m probably biased but the fans’ backing remains incredible both home and away while some of my very best memories and friendships have been forged while following Blues.

It’s often not even about the football either.

It’s about getting together with friends, having a pint or a pie, laughing together on long away trips and always nodding your head to fellow fans you always recognise but don’t really know.

In many ways, supporting a lower league club bonds people together and forms something of a football family.

But all of that is at risk right now.

Blues have until the start of March to pay off a large tax bill following a winding up petition from the HMRC.

And this is about as serious as it can be.

Due to the frequency of the Shrimpers’ visits to the high court it is perhaps easy to become rather relaxed about the situation because they have been sorted so often in the past.

However, this feels different and it has never been this bad.

Ron Martin’s financial mismanagement of the football club has left Blues teetering on the brink and that was apparent wherever you looked on Saturday.

From the sorry state of the stadium, to seeing staff members still waiting to be paid for December or watching a squad that hasn’t been strengthened since September due to a transfer embargo playing on a poorly maintained pitch, it’s tough going.

And you can sense it among the supporters too.

One group of fans held a pre-match protest against Martin and made their feelings perfectly clear while other supporters watched on from afar not really knowing what can be done.

Many I spoke to are resigned to the chairman remaining at Roots Hall and cannot see him leaving whatever comes his way.

It is a complicated situation involving land owned and stadium plans and what action to take seems to divide the fanbase.

Social media can often be a toxic place but, the aftermath of Saturday’s match, was right up there with the worst I can remember and it is so sad to see.

This isn’t the Southend United I first fell in love with and all roads lead back to Ron Martin where that is concerned.

I often judge club statements by what isn’t said rather than what is and that made the words issued earlier this week incredibly worrying.

There was little in the way of reassurance and, with that in mind, it is understandable such passionate fans are so frustrated.
Thanks for putting it all down, i was trying to think of why many people think its all going to the wall, when we've been in this position so many times before.
I still really enjoy SZ, to be fair there's plenty to moan about when it looks like we are going to the wall. I love the transfer whispers, the post match analysis, the trips down memory lane.

Bring back neg rep. Now that was funny.

I think plenty hide behind the keyboard.
I doubt a tenth of of the vitriol would be exchanged face to face.
What would be good is if posters thought they were responding in person, and what they might say then.
Call me a grammar Nazi if you must, but it would be better if points were clear and concise.
Some of the writing in the Stan abuse thread is difficult to discern.
Torally agree with your main first point @CPM. Simple thing to do and would make it a better place. It's still loads better on here than what I hear about twittergram and the like.

If it's any consolation, you are not the first fan base who has walked down this path. I remember a fans forum at Blackpool where we had a guest speaker from the Supporters Trust at Coventry. He said they were five years on from their initial crisis and the splits that had resulted from that had still not fully healed.

It has never been quite that toxic at our place, but people do bear grudges and in times of stress old resentments still do come out. And we were relatively united about what had to be done. You, evidently, are not.

I do think you should be careful about what you write, and not just because it can cause lasting offence. Some of our fans found to their (financial) cost that careless words can and sometimes do cost a lot of money, if the person you are talking about turns out to be (or decides to become) litigious. Being on the wrong end of a libel action in the UK is no joke.

So think about what you write and remember that hard-pressed moderators squeezing the job in around their daily lives can't protect you all the time.

Been here since the inception of the zone in 2001 by Scriven and Mike etc… was in year 11 at school at the time, before SZ it was shrimpers.net where you could post on a forum for SUFC.
SZ has changed over the years I have seen them come and go but remember guys we are a product of what the club dishes out, Ron is a hugely divisive figure even when we all want him gone and all want the same for the club the method of achieving that is still what divides us.

Some want to protest, some want to boycott, some want to wait and hope Ron pulls it out the bag.

One thing we all have in common is we all love Southend United, those outside of football like my wife don’t understand it’s a religion and roots hall (for now) is our church, we are the congregation and we have our faith. Please remember that when we speak to each other and remember we might not agree with the other persons view but please have the respect for them to voice it, if you need to disagree challenge it with facts and logic rather than hearsay and conjecture.

Life is not perfect and that goes for our members on SZ but a little effort here and there goes a long way, I was looking back the other day at some of my posts well over 10 years ago and wow was that a shock on how I was and how I have changed, these days I like to think I am more respectable and respectful of other peoples views even if I don’t agree. If I can be more courteous than so can everybody else.

Let’s all remember it’s our club and fight for it till our last breath

#benice

Last edited:
There used to be a simple rule. Play the ball not the man.
What there is now is lots of name calling aimed at people who are deemed not sufficiently in agreement with whatever viewpoint a poster has.

If you have to resort to saying poster is a this or that then its a shame there isn't an auto delete algorithm that consigns the post to automatically the bin.

I think the play the ball not the man ethos was more rigorously enforced at some point, but its difficult when these things become so prevalent...

There used to be a simple rule. Play the ball not the man.
What there is now is lots of name calling aimed at people who are deemed not sufficiently in agreement with whatever viewpoint a poster has.

If you have to resort to saying poster is a this or that then its a shame there isn't an auto delete algorithm that consigns the post to automatically the bin.

I think the play the ball not the man ethos was more rigorously enforced at some point, but its difficult when these things become so prevalent...

I though it was always best to play the ball and the man?

Problem is these young Mods don't know what a decent tackle is

Been here since the inception of the zone in 2001 by Scriven and Mike etc… was in year 11 at school at the time, before SZ it was shrimpers.net where you could post on a forum for SUFC.
SZ has changed over the years I have seen them come and go but remember guys we are a product of what the club dishes out, Ron is a hugely divisive figure even when we all want him gone and all want the same for the club the method of achieving that is still what divides us.

Some want to protest, some want to boycott, some want to wait and hope Ron pulls it out the bag.

One thing we all have in common is we all love Southend United, those outside of football like my wife don’t understand it’s a religion and roots hall (for now) is our church, we are the congregation and we have our faith. Please remember that when we speak to each other and remember we might not agree with the other persons view but please have the respect for them to voice it, if you need to disagree challenge it with facts and logic rather than hearsay and conjecture.

Life is not perfect and that goes for our members on SZ but a little effort here and there goes a long way, I was looking back the other day at some of my posts well over 10 years ago and wow was that a shock on how I was and how I have changed, these days I like to think I am more respectable and respectful of other peoples views even if I don’t agree. If I can be more courteous than so can everybody else.

Let’s all remember it’s our club and fight for it till our last breath

#benice
You certainly werent posting as calmly and rationally back in '03 😉

There have been a few new members from 2019 onwards that have an agenda. They make about one comment on a player, manager or game for show, then it's 99% about Fossetts, Ron Martin or Roots Hall. They either really want one, two or all three of those things to fail for their own reasons. So they continuously stir things up. They give misinformation. They get us real fans going at each other. GOCP was the most famous. He finally admitted he was one of the stop Fossetts people, when I called him out. Real Southend United fans want Fossetts to happen, a new stadium, and a new owner/Chairman. Who makes money, and how much out of Fossetts and Roots Hall developments, we don't care. As long as SUFC is taken care of financially to be able to go on to be hopefully self supporting and flourish.

I am interested to see does the shrimperszone carry on if we go bust in 29 days time?

Its been terrible on here lately but it would be good to come on here still if the inevitable happens. Some posts have been interesting

I am interested to see does the shrimperszone carry on if we go bust in 29 days time?

It’s been terrible on here lately but it would be good to come on here still if the inevitable happens. Some posts have been interesting
If the unthinkable happened and we needed to form a new club I would hope SZ would be at the forefront of that and be the driving force behind it along with the trust etc…

Let’s hope that day never comes though

Its been terrible on here lately but it would be good to come on here still if the inevitable happens. Some posts have been interesting
We never close, once a ShrimperZone always a ShrimperZone regardless of the Club's status.

Not a chance of us disappearing. We are in for the long haul whatever happens.

Back