• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sit Down - Shut Up !!!! - FSF Launch Report into Safe Standing at Football

Shrimperstrust

Supporting SUFC
Not strictly SUFC Related - But posted in the Main Forum as this should be seen by all & sundry - hope the Mods are OK with this :)

On Wednesday 30th May 2007 the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) launched The case for Safe Standing - A 21st Century Solution report into the issues regarding standing at Football Matches.

For further details click here.

das_image2.gif
safestandingreport.jpg

Yeah, I've downloaded a copy from the FSF website and it makes very interesting reading. FSF say that they've sent a copy to all 92 Football League clubs; what odds on the arrogance of GK putting it straight in the bin, especially when the conclusions make a complete mockery of the club's stance of standing during games. (It's NOT illegal or against the law!)

Yeah, I've downloaded a copy from the FSF website and it makes very interesting reading. FSF say that they've sent a copy to all 92 Football League clubs; what odds on the arrogance of GK putting it straight in the bin, especially when the conclusions make a complete mockery of the club's stance of standing during games. (It's NOT illegal or against the law!)

But haven't the club done a survey on standing to find that only a small percentage want it? I vaguely remember something like that, but I may well be mistaken.

But haven't the club done a survey on standing to find that only a small percentage want it? I vaguely remember something like that, but I may well be mistaken.

I believe that survey was about a return to the North Bank in which less than 10% or something wanted it. Anyway, it's all about choice: do you want to be able to choose between safe standing and sitting at the new FF stadium? I know what I would prefer ...

I believe that survey was about a return to the North Bank in which less than 10% or something wanted it. Anyway, it's all about choice: do you want to be able to choose between safe standing and sitting at the new FF stadium? I know what I would prefer ...

Maybe that was it, but I thought they did both. As I said, I may well be mistaken.

Personally I prefer to sit. I used to stand whenever I could, but I am now a convert! However, the question is more about would I mind if other people wanted to stand and the answer is no, so long as it doens't impact safety, cost and the aesthetics of the stadium.

I'm sure these are dealt with in the report, but I can't open it at the moment.

I would ask the question, how many people have been injured whilst standing in a seated area at football grounds?Its got nothing to do with safety its all about control.Clubs want it both ways, without fans standing and singing at grounds there would be no atmosphere without atmosphere and passion there is no football

I'm of the opinion that seats actually make football more dangerous. Seats present a trip hazzard, plastic seats are known to snap which could cause injury, people fall off seats, seats make handy missiles, all-seater grounds seem to take longer to evacuate.

The supposed danger of terrace surges could easily be countered by regular crash barriers and crushes would be negated by actually sticking to capacities. But then it was a political decision, not a safety decision.

i've just done a 10,000 dissertation on this subject area for uni, and the likelyhood that the rules on seating/standing will not be that relaxed, ok so my cases studies were on Valley parade, hillsborough and heysel, but there were so many reasons why standing is not permitted and will eventyually be faded out. There are other issues too, but its such a big subject area to go into.....but if standing was allowed, id be in that stand all the time

But certainly Hillsborough and Heysel were not down to the evil of standing but more due to lack of control and direction from the authorities? There wasn't even a capacity notice posted for the Leppings Lane end; someone 'estimated' it as around 10,000.

Back