• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sky Wireless BB Help!

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Apologies in advance for my dumbness..

Ive got a wireless enabled PC and have just got my Sky BB Wireless Router etc.

My question is why is there an ethernet cable in the box with the rest of the bits? Surely wireless means exactly that?

Do you just need the ethernet cable to get the wireless router setup? Can you then unplug this and surf wirelessly?

Its just my phone line is in another room and I need to be able to connect my PC wire free which is why I got wireless BB!

Help please?!...

Apologies in advance for my dumbness..

Ive got a wireless enabled PC and have just got my Sky BB Wireless Router etc.

My question is why is there an ethernet cable in the box with the rest of the bits? Surely wireless means exactly that?

Do you just need the ethernet cable to get the wireless router setup? Can you then unplug this and surf wirelessly?

Its just my phone line is in another room and I need to be able to connect my PC wire free which is why I got wireless BB!

Help please?!...

I know all about these things Lee But to save me telling you all:o ..........I will refer your question to S-S who is the Zone tech slave ...

When I got my router I had to plug my pc into it to configure the router for the broadband ISP logon and the wireless settings. Once its been setup once you dont need to do it again really unless the router loses its config. I can browse my router settings thro wireless (obv with the router logon and password) but only once its been setup.

So you need the cable to configure it but then you should be fine...or atleast thats been my experience.

Plus you will need the security key (WEP or WPA is it - cant remember) from the router to plug into your PC wireless config before you can logon anyway...

Last edited:
Cheers Garry, ill use the ethernet connection to config the router etc, then pull the ******* out and hope for the best then yes?!

Cheers Garry, ill use the ethernet connection to config the router etc, then pull the ******* out and hope for the best then yes?!

Pretty much. I had to muck about with my wireless bit but its not too difficult if I can do it.

And before anyone takes the p**s, I dont deal with laptops and routers...I only do mainframes....mans systems, not these eeny weeny things....:)

I have every faith in you Smiffy to have it working before 9:30 this evening....;)

Last edited:
Im browsing via my mobile at the moment

I will attempt connection after the game tomorrow, so if im awol on here tomorrow night you know why!

And ill be ringing you for over the phone support gazza!

S_S why would anyone take the pee?

The Zone is here to help discuss things that someone may know more than another.

I do not deal with Laptops or PCs but deal with Network Security, i.e. stop hackers from outside and inside the company.

Anyway just a note a few things to be more secure on WiFi

WEP is ok but WPA is a more secure option also go to the highest encryption level you can for all your devices you need to connect via WiFi.

Also do not broadcast your SSID, but this means you will need to remember it and enter it manually into you devices. It helps stop people spotting your WiFi.

If possible setup the Access List if the router has it for defined devices. You will need to find the mac address for the device to do this. usually on a sticker or under a config option. On a PC can you ipconfig /all at a DOS prompt will show you look for your Wireless Interfaces physical address

A mac address looks like 00-30-FD-35-41-29 or 00:30:FD:35:41:29

S_S why would anyone take the pee?

The Zone is here to help discuss things that someone may know more than another.

I do not deal with Laptops or PCs but deal with Network Security, i.e. stop hackers from outside and inside the company.

Anyway just a note a few things to be more secure on WiFi

WEP is ok but WPA is a more secure option also go to the highest encryption level you can for all your devices you need to connect via WiFi.

Also do not broadcast your SSID, but this means you will need to remember it and enter it manually into you devices. It helps stop people spotting your WiFi.

If possible setup the Access List if the router has it for defined devices. You will need to find the mac address for the device to do this. usually on a sticker or under a config option. On a PC can you ipconfig /all at a DOS prompt will show you look for your Wireless Interfaces physical address

A mac address looks like 00-30-FD-35-41-29 or 00:30:FD:35:41:29

Have you met Mr Cricko......? :p ;)

I was lucky my daughter didnt fall for the "Dad promised to spend £200 in New Look" routine today....;)

It was tongue in cheek btw....:angel:

Unfortunately I have met the OAP, stale urine and boiled cabbage spring to mind at the mention of his name. :D

I also hope it was your own cheek. :eek:

You should change your Tenna Pads more often Andee...:finger:

Smiffy, I've set up a few Sky WiFi Broadband for friends and have found that you don't actually need to configure the router.

It is all done already you just need to plug it all in, and add the connection with the encryption key to your PC.

However, as already stated the cable is if you can't get on the wireless and need to configure the router.

Back