• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommytwoholes

It will be very interesting to see what actually happens next year with this proposed smoking ban. I can see a good few people not even bothering to stick to the rule. Does that mean that they will be banned for life? If so how many people will suffer this fate. As a smoker i agree whole heartedly that people should not be able to smoke during tha game whilst sitting in close proximity to non smokers. I for one have always waited until half time to have a fag so as not to bother people. The problem is that Roots hall is a fairly tight ground when full and recently we have experienced a larger support. The whole world seems to be going PC at the moment and smoking seems to be public enemy number one. Does that mean that the club have the right to deprive people of smoking full stop? I honestly beleive that having a smoking section or only allowing people to smoke whilst the game isnt being played would be a far more universal approach. I really enjoy going in the shrimpers because i am lining the pockets of the club, but unfortunately i will as of next season be using another watering hole. I know that people who dont smoke will think of this as a really good move , but picture this:

A non footballing parliment got into government and decided that football was bad because of the crowd trouble involved and the bad role models in the game. So the decide to ban football. It will never happen right?? Who knows , Give it 20 years and anything could be possible. That is the kind of society we are living in. Im not saying smoking is good but i am saying atleast cater for the people who want to smoke.

On a final note , is Ron Martin gonna tell the chairman of other clubs or investors that they cant have have the cuban cigar after there prawn sandwiches?? I dont think so..

well ive just given my tuppenceworth on essex fm

wow.gif

ps passive watching of football isnt linked to cancer!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ June 09 2005,13:32)]but picture this:

A non footballing parliment got into government
Notwithstanding the odd spelling and a quick swap between the Government and Parliament .... surely that's any Government we've had in living memory!

The club answered my initial question quite promptly, but they haven't come back as yet as to whether those addicts amongst us will be allowed to go into the Carpark at half time.

What about out the back of the West Stand?..

Thats where ill be getting my nicotine hit at Half-time, along with many others I would of thought!....

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ June 09 2005,14:07)]What about out the back of the West Stand?..

Thats where ill be getting my nicotine hit at Half-time, along with many others I would of thought!....

wink.gif
Does that count as a concourse ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 09 2005,14:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ June 09 2005,14:07)]What about out the back of the West Stand?..

wink.gif
Its open air and not even part of the stand so it shouldnt be classed as a concourse in my opinion...

There is no fire hazard or the potential to p i s s non-smokers off in this part of the ground at all...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ June 09 2005,14:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 09 2005,14:11)]
[b said:

wink.gif
Its open air and not even part of the stand so it shouldnt be classed as a concourse in my opinion...

There is no fire hazard or the potential to p i s s non-smokers off in this part of the ground at all...
I wouldn't bet on it......

Probably worth clarifying with the club

maybe smokers could be allowed on the pitch at half time to light up ..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ June 09 2005,13:32)]It will be very interesting to see what actually happens next year with this proposed smoking ban.
Isn't the ban an actual one rather than a proposed one ?

I suspect they will enforce it as adherence to it will probably form part of the safety certificates next season issued by the council and fire brigade.

We do need clarification of whether this extends to every area within the confines of Roots Hall - e.g. the concourse at the back of the West.

Surely the club and the non-smoking majority of supporters wouldn't begrudge our pre and half time puffs in one confined area ?

I'd also be happy if they banned the $%&*s from the West that shout abuse at our own players at every given opportunity. In particular the constant W-Block Maher abuser could do with having the play-off trophy inserted up his arse side-ways.

Just to resurrect this one,

I have just been advised that there will be no leaving the ground at Halftime to go to the car park for a fag

Once through the turnstiles, no fags until after the game.

Extra time and penalties may have me chewing my arm off

Despite the fact I welcome this ban, I do feel there should be an area set aside.
This move reflects what will be happening nationwide in every par or pub etc. It will take just a handful of non-smoking employees to cite "Health and Safety" concerns to have smoking abolished in the workplace, which includes bars/pubs/sports venues, and I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet.
It's a case of getting used to the inevitable and like seating and terracing, once changed I can't ever see it going backwards.
You cannot remove a hazard or risk (however small) and then re-introduce it, Compensation culture will take them to the cleaners.

For the sake of my own sanity I plead with the decision makers at the club to find an area in which smokers can enjoy their past time.

If they were forced to sit next to a stressed and non smoking Kent shrimper for 90 minutes I'm sure they'd find one pretty pronto!

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ June 20 2005,13:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 20 2005,09:17)]now they will have a war on im afraid, this is bollox  
mad.gif
Keep ya hair on. Oh. Wait.
You keep slapping on that Brilcream and it wont be long before your a slap head
tounge.gif

Maybe Southend should start an incentive for smokers to give up by giving them cut price admission tickets, though that might be pretty unworkable.
Personally I think anyone caught smoking should be given an automatic 5 year ban from Roots Hall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ June 20 2005,20:46)]Maybe Southend should start an incentive for smokers to give up by giving them cut price admission tickets, though that might be pretty unworkable.
Personally I think anyone caught smoking should be given an automatic 5 year ban from Roots Hall.
I think something as specific would be a little difficult considering all of the ground regulations , however a 5 year (or any length of time ) ban for any breach of ground regulations would be easier to administer.

Might not go down too well with the swearers and those who stand up etc..

Back