• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

South East Essex Bands and Solo Artists

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
Heard Milk and Alcohol by Dr Feelgood for the first time in ages on the radio yesterday, and had forgot what a quality song it is.

So, it got me thinking what are the top tunes ever by Bands or Solo Artists from our Area (Southend, Canvey, Bazzo).

My top 5:

1. Life's What You Make It - Talk Talk
2. Do Anything You Wanna Do - Eddie and the Hot Rods
3. Little Does She Know - The Kursaal Flyers
4. Milk and Alcohol - Dr Feelgood
5. Drummerman - Tonight

Any offers?

Love Resurrection by Alison Moyet. A fine song, but also some brilliantly filthy lyrics....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 07 2005,12:53)]Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode; surely one of the finest things ever to come out of Basildon...
Good call Matt. Easily beats W4 Shrimperette in to second place
laugh.gif

(don't tell her I said that!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Sep. 07 2005,13:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 07 2005,12:53)]Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode; surely one of the finest things ever to come out of Basildon...
Good call Matt. Easily beats W4 Shrimperette in to second place  
laugh.gif

(don't tell her I said that!)
oops.gif

You're living dangerously there!!

tounge.gif

Do the prodigy count as SE Essex?

Also am I right in thinking Procul Harum (whiter shade of pale) were a local band?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 07 2005,13:19)]Do the prodigy count as SE Essex?

Also am I right in thinking Procul Harum (whiter shade of pale) were a local band?
Thought that the Prodigy were half from Brentwood and half from Basildon...?

rock.gif

I think you're right - one of the Procul Harum guys was from Leigh, IIRC.

The late Viv Stanshall (of the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band) was from Westcliff, I believe - so another potential nominee for our Top 5 would be Mr. Slater's Parrot...

biggrin.gif

Anthem - N-Joi.

As far as I am aware this was the tune that kickstarted the whole club scene.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 07 2005,13:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 07 2005,13:19)]Do the prodigy count as SE Essex?

rock.gif

The late Viv Stanshall (of the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band) was from Westcliff, I believe - so another potential nominee for our Top 5 would be Mr. Slater's Parrot...

biggrin.gif
I think all Procul Harum were Southend - certainly Gary Brooker the singer.

Prodigy are Braintree, I am sure, and at least one is a Col Ewe fan.

Bad Manners are from round here arent they?

And for those that of heard of them Cissco are a really good local Ska band

Ah right never knew that about BM, just assumed cos the guy was a SUFC fan they were from around here.

Also, 1/3 of Busted is from south Essex.

and SMOTHER are from round here!!

Anyone heard/like these?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 07 2005,12:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 07 2005,13:21)]
[b said:

rock.gif

biggrin.gif
I think all Procul Harum were Southend - certainly Gary Brooker the singer.

Prodigy are Braintree, I am sure, and at least one is a Col Ewe fan.
Whenever I hear Whiter Shade of Pale, I think of Mr Usher at SHSB, walking basslines, and hamlet ads...

He never used to shut up about Procul Harum. He was mates with Gary Brooker, who went to Westcliff High...

Think Viv Stanshall was born in London but moved to Southend when he was very young...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ Sep. 07 2005,16:35)]Think Viv Stanshall was born in London but moved to Southend when he was very young...
I heard Viv Stanshall on the radio shortly before his death talking about getting trains regularly from Southend to Fenchurch Street, and he explained that when the trains were very full, and then stopped at subsequent stations he would beckon those getting on the train to sit next to him, thus ensuring that no-one would, and he would have a (relatively) comfortable ride to London. Legend
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SuperShrimper @ Sep. 07 2005,15:05)]Bad Manners are from round here arent they?

And for those that of heard of them Cissco are a really good local Ska band
Cisco on the aquarium. used to go to WHSB.

and anyone heard of harry shuttleworth?

Back