• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That was an awesome all round performance last night, far better than expected given that we had key players missing, a half-fir Ranger, another nasty injury for Inness a few minutes in, a loanee goalkeeper on game 2 for us and stand-ins playing out of position. And, on any other day, against a lesser team, that team would have smashed it! It is only fair to acknowledge that Bolton are 2nd for very good reason, and it is looking likely that are going up. You have to hand it to them, they are a bit one-dimensional, and a bit dirty, but they have definely done what they came to do, pinch our points! And thank goodness - they are a tough side to play against and I would hate to meet them in the play-offs! Although, with us at full strength, they are definately beatable!!

I thought that we had done enough to at least get a point, and it was horrible to lose like that in the final seconds.

Walton - 8.5 I have been very impressed with him, and I have to say, much as Ted has potential, and has done a great job so far, this lad is better by a country mile. I suspect he is only out on loan to gain more experience as I really can't see Brighton wanting to give him up easily. I think he has a very bright future, and I hope there is a chance he could be tempted to come back to us.

Demitriou - 8. Excellent, again.

Thompson 8. Didn't so a lot wrong, and is looking better and better this season. Must be in line for 'Most Improved' player this season.

Inness - can't tell, as I got caught in traffic in Hadleigh and arrived in the stand just in time to see the stretcher coming on to the pitch. Glad he walked off, as it looked bad. Apparently it's a shoulder dislocation again - such a shame, this could cut his career short.

White - 9. Outstanding! Out of position, and on the 'wrong' side. I think John White is totally underrated by many, and he did a super job last night, yet again, straight off the bench and not being an automatic name on the team sheet, which is only testament to the quality of this squad, not his individual ability! Fantastic reading of the game, and a calming presence. Was a serious man of the match contender.

Timlin - 8. Again, out of position, and did a very credible job. I think we missed Coker's creative outlet, but Tims had the core of the job covered, and made some crucial tackles. Tendency to drift towards the middle which made us a bit narrow and lop-sided, which left McLoughlin out on his own a bit. I think he would have been even better in Lenny's role in midfield. Nonetheless, he is a Real terrier and that was a full on and solid performance.

McLoughlin - 7 wasn't really in it, seen him play better. But, not sure that was his fault, as their defence were keeping him quiet and he was isolated at times because of Timlin not playing the same way as Coker.
Wordsworth - 8.5
Atkinson - 8
Theo - 9.5 MOM still struggling to figure out how he ended up in the conference earlier this season, he has the quality to be at least Championship calibre. He is AWESOME! That was a fantastic all round performance and unlucky he couldn't convert the performance into another goal
Cox - 8.5 good all round, intelligent performance. Unlucky that he didn't score.
Ranger -9. Another awesome performance, while not fully fit. Big, strong, determined and very creative, this man is the real deal, and again, unlucky that he couldn't break through.

McLashan - 7 the impact sub didn't quite have the required effect unfortunately. Seen much better performances from him.
Fortune - 7 not on the pitch long enough to make a big difference.

overall, while it was painful to lose the game last night, there are plenty of positives. First and foremost, it was a great game to watch, and we really are a team to be feared which is great news! We are still in the hunt, still 6th and with 5 games to go, we are still masters of our own destiny.

The thing to take out of it, is the players have nothing to fear if they continue in that form.
Spots 4,5,6 are all for the taking, and I would think the other teams are hoping not to draw us over two legs.

Adds a great twist on next few games and sell out crowds to boost the coffers

UTS

Would love to see the penalty shout again - I was sat in the west, dead level with the incident, and it looked to me like Nile was clearly pushed to the ground in the end after trying to stay on his feet.

I didn't think it was from my distant view in the East blues. We have seen Ranger get in a fair few one-on-ones this season but he seems to get a nose bleed. Either shoot or wait for some convincing contact and then go down. Having said that another example where the ref should take the play back for a free-kick.

I've slept on it now and had time to process and I still feel sick. Absolute robbery out there, shows you can be 2nd and play route 1 hoof lump!

Someone break Ted Smiths arm so we can sign this Walton for the season, he's absolutely class and probably the best young keeper I've seen since we had Adam Federici on loan all those years ago...

I thought the first half was rough. Bolton were pretty good at breaking up play in the middle of the park and Ranger couldn't breathe out without being man marked...but oh what a second half.
It was brilliant stuff and an absolutely barnstorming performance that deserved far more than a cheap, smash and grab goal in 90+
And this was without key players and an emergency loan keeper (who was my MoM).
The atmosphere was incredible too ( I was in V block).
On these performances of late, there's no way we won't be in the playoffs.

Just keep Smith "injured" til the end of the season and we can keep Walton! Easily a class above Smith:winking:

This is going to be like (former shrimper!) Kevin O'Callaghan in "Escape to Victory" right?

PB "It's for the team, Ted"
Ted: "Just make it a clean one"

I've slept on it now and had time to process and I still feel sick. Absolute robbery out there, shows you can be 2nd and play route 1 hoof lump!

Someone break Ted Smiths arm so we can sign this Walton for the season, he's absolutely class and probably the best young keeper I've seen since we had Adam Federici on loan all those years ago...

I really don't think it was robbery. Bolton were very effective in the first half and we did well in the second half. They hit the post twice and Walton pulled off some fine saves. If anyone edged the game it was Bolton, and a draw would have been about fair in the end given the issues we faced during the game.
Compare wage structures and we can take great heart from this game and should let it spur us on for the final push.

I thought the first half was rough. Bolton were pretty good at breaking up play in the middle of the park and Ranger couldn't breathe out without being man marked...but oh what a second half.
It was brilliant stuff and an absolutely barnstorming performance that deserved far more than a cheap, smash and grab goal in 90+
And this was without key players and an emergency loan keeper (who was my MoM).
The atmosphere was incredible too ( I was in V block).
On these performances of late, there's no way we won't be in the playoffs.

Lots can happen. Referees are out of our control and we have had a season of poor ones. We simply have to regroup this week and then win the next game. Better teams have missed out on things through a lack of preparation or overconfidence

was in Block X. Fantastic atmosphere. Shame about the result but that's life. Truly phenomenal save by Walton to flick a certain goal over the bar. Not sure he touched the ball leading to the corner when they scored. Parkinson is an oaf. They say some players put themselves out of a job when they get promoted but I think given the style of football Bolton play this is not what keeps you in the Championship and Parkinson will go. Which would be a real shame.
PS I think PB must have called the ref a cheating **** after the Ranger "penalty" incident to get sent to the stands.
All players 10 out of 10. The crowd 10 out of 10. Great night other than the result.

I really don't think it was robbery. Bolton were very effective in the first half and we did well in the second half. They hit the post twice and Walton pulled off some fine saves. If anyone edged the game it was Bolton, and a draw would have been about fair in the end given the issues we faced during the game.
Compare wage structures and we can take great heart from this game and should let it spur us on for the final push.

Totally agree with this. Bolton may be direct but it obviously gets them results and they had the better efforts on goal. That said, we stood up to them in the second half and certainly deserved a point overall IMO.
I don't think the referee had that bad a game actually either - a lot of full blooded challenges out there that he rightfully allowed to go...most would whistle for those these days.

was in Block X. Fantastic atmosphere. Shame about the result but that's life. Truly phenomenal save by Walton to flick a certain goal over the bar. Not sure he touched the ball leading to the corner when they scored..

Yep, he did. Good save, that.

Nice view of the rugby tackle on that video at around 7:35 in.

Also, McGlash's needless foul looks worse than ever, towards the end.

That said, some great action there. :thumbsup:

What a shot from McLaughlin just prior to him being subbed ...

Just as an aside as well , girlfriends first game, she's very sporting and understands sport .. her defining comment in the second half was " who's that number 12, he's every where, tackling , covering and then hes suddenly driving the attack on ..."

Cant bring myself to watch it. Gutted.

If I could buy all the players a pint I would,top top effort last night! Gutted but if we carry on playing like that I would have us finishing higher than 6th!

Nice view of the rugby tackle on that video at around 7:35 in.

Also, McGlash's needless foul looks worse than ever, towards the end.

That said, some great action there. :thumbsup:

There is good footage when Timlin broke down left on about the 03:00 minute mark. You can see that Ranger doesn't react/anticipate when the keeper pushes the ball out. Would a fully fit Ranger have got on the end of that ?...He certainly looked like he was 'managing' himself last night.

Just as an aside as well , girlfriends first game, she's very sporting and understands sport .. her defining comment in the second half was " who's that number 12, he's every where, tackling , covering and then hes suddenly driving the attack on ..."
Sounds like a white Kante!

Gave him the MOM in my report.

You should take the GLG along more often. She seems well clued up, already! :cool:

Back