• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agree with the comments generally, and yes, Gilbert was really poor.The players who disappoint me the most though are Ferdinand and Dickinson.Kane has either reached a natural plateau of performance as a young lad, OR the talk of a big money move has gone to his head....Dickinson is the poorest header of a ball I can remember and the least effective player, given that his game is based on hustle bustle and being a big strong lad.He does nothing really, his skill level is very poor, although he is a trier!...I see him as a conference level player, but we have no other options

What can i say that hasnt already been said. It was utter sh*te last night at best. I expected the players to show how good they are and that they dont need Bilel to prove a point. All they proved was they are a bunch of clueless, hopeless, over rated footballers! When did we last play well. The wins in November against a woeful Daggers and Oxford who totally ****ed all over us just gave the impression we were a good side. We are not at all , anything but. I can see us going 17 wins without a win to match our unbeaten run. Ferdinand....so over rated. Why do we big up our ex youth players. Moussa was another one. Sturrock sort this **** out now cause at the moment its totally cack!

Right, I needed to not post last night in order to calm down and reflect on what was, at best, a very disappointing end to the home fixtures for 2011.

Bradford were well organised, dictated the pace of the game and worked out if they could take our midfield out of the game then we would be far less of a threat. We sadly had no answer to this, until Grant and Sawyer came on when we might have scored (should have - Sawyer's header was woeful!) and they nicked a scrappy goal in the last minute. However even if had ended 0-0 I wouldn't have been any less disappointed.

The time has come for some serious changes to be made, wonder if Christian Dailly will now be signed to shore up a back line that is falling apart through injuries and suspensions. We're also powderpuff upfront and need someone to play alongside Dicko with a bit of pace and guile. Sawyer and Grant must be given a run of games now too.

My ratings, for what it's worth.

Daniels 7 - Didn't seem to do much wrong, couldn't really see what happened for the goal
Clohessy 7 - Not bad, but not as threatening coming forward as he can be
Phillips 7 - Seemed to be playing on with a tight hamstring, but otherwise solid
Prosser 7 - Thought he did OK for a first full game back in his natural position
Gilbert 4 - Very poor defending, very poor going forward and he was booked!
Leonard 5 - A bit like a right-footed Johnny Herd, offers little else
Ferdinand 4 - Can't see he's even worthy of a place on the bench at the moment, little boy lost
Timlin 7 - probably the pick of the midfield but Bradford's hoofing took him out of the game for much of it
Hall 6 - Just not the threat he was a couple of months ago, even his corners were mediocre
Harris 5 - I really want him to be good for us, but he's just not!
Dicko 7 - I thought he had a reasonable game last night, got no change out of their centre back though

Subs

Grant 7 - How on earth Ferdinand is keeping him out of the side I will never know, changed the game when he came on
Sawyer 7 - How on earth Leonard is keeping him out of the side I will never know, should have scored with a header

I thought I'd wait until this morning to post because I wasn't well when I struggled out to the game last night and wished I hadn't bothered. From the moment that we got to the top of the league we seemed to go more and more direct. On reflection, it wasn't all bad. Apart from his final cross Clohessy had a decent game. I didn't really see their goal properly but I thought that Prosser was pretty solid coming into the team. His distribution might not be good but neither is Barker's. When we started playing the ball on the floor, Harris looked decent. Grant and Sawyer made a big difference although it was a shame that Sawyer made such a mess of his big chance to score.
I disagree that Daniels didn't have anyone to whom he could throw the ball - Clohessy was usually available. It is a strategy that he needs to use much more - he showed that he could do it well with a cracking throw-out to Hall deep in the second half. Instead, he kept punting it upfield to Bigus Dickus who was in Oliver's pocket all night. Hall himself seems to have lost his first touch and so many of his corners didn't beat the first defender. Ferdinand wasn't really allowed to play well as the ball had snow on it for most of the time. Gilbert is good in defense but couldn't pass water - there really needs to be some competition in that position.
This was the players' big chance to show that they could play as a team without Mohsni but they didn't take it at all. He would, I feel, have made a difference if he'd been thrown up front near the end.

Why if Gilbert was so poor didn't Sturrock bring him off and perhaps put Prosser there or Leonard bring Grant into the back line. Sounds as if Gilbert was not up to the task mentally after our cup exit in the week and perhaps a few others were still feeling sorry for themselves.

Why if Gilbert was so poor didn't Sturrock bring him off and perhaps put Prosser there or Leonard bring Grant into the back line. Sounds as if Gilbert was not up to the task mentally after our cup exit in the week and perhaps a few others were still feeling sorry for themselves.

Best ask the manager that as he is the only one who knows the answer.

Not been for a while - Can now understand the issue about our style of play .

Morning .

Not seen a game for some time and have been obviously reading the ' is it direct football or Hoofball ' debate without being able to add any input, so I was keen to check it out for myself.

If last night is how we have been playing and I for one moment can't believe it is then I can understand the fans that are knocking this style of play . Sad I know but I was keen to see how good Ferdinand was and also seeing how much football was played on the deck last night .......kind of spoils the game but the players and the weather did a good job of that anyway !!

Ferdinand was non exsistant and just watched the ball sailing over his head time after time and not reacting quick enough to pick up the second ball and bits , I did however notice he tried coming short a few times to pik the ball off the CB's only to see them pump it straight down the giant of a man in the heart of Bradford's defence.
He seemed to give up hope of ever recieving the ball after that and just aimlessly chased shadows and was outmuscled by their midfield pairing . Timlin also was guilty and having more experience under his belt, felt he was more to blame . If these boys are demanding fees at this level then that is surprising and can only assume that at a higher level he will have teh ball at his feet a lot more to be able to create .

I reckon it was not until around the 35-40 minute mark when Kane finally gotr he ball to his feet and sprayed a ball out to our full back only for it to be fed to the giant again .

Know I understand the Defence clearing their lines ( and I actually thought they battled well )but surely a bit of savvy comes into it after seeing every clearances either come back at us from the big lad or the ball flying off for a throw on or goal kick ( which was a dissadvantage as their keeper had a huge kick and found their CF who I thought held the line quite well ).

If Sturrock has instructed this style then at least play or get on board a pacey striker who at least can make these ' Direct/punts' more effective , as Harris and Dicko are players who want the ball fed into their feet . This is a must if we continue to adopt this direct route of football .

I can fully understand the knockers of Harris as he came here with high expectations but how can you be expected to look good and score goals when the service you are getting is of Non League standard ,play the ball to feet or get crosses in and he will have more sucess , its not rocket science .

Finally Grant looked the most up for it player last night and he suits this style of play as he gets stuck in and challenges for the scraps , in his 20 minutes he ruffled the CM's up a bit and with a different referee may of even got their player sent off although it would of been a bit harsh .

Daniels 6 - did nothing wrong and had no chance with the goal
Clossenny 5 - average
Barker 5.5 challenged for everything but distrubution is poor
Phillips 5.5 As above
Prosser 5 - Average
Leonard 5 - Average
Timlin 4 - was second best all night
Ferdinand 4 - as above
Hall 5 - not his game , needs the ball at his feet but good couple of deliveries into the box
Harris 4 - no service and didn't win a header all night
Dickinson 4 -As above

Subs

Sawyer 5- we looked more up for it after subs came on
Grant 6 MOTM -done more in 20 mins than what Kane and Timlin did all evening.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. That is all I can think of to say about last night. Words fail me!
The team seemed to lack confidence, flair and creativity. No forward play, poor passing and second to the ball each time.
Are they tired? is there unrest in the back room. Who knows but, whatever it is - it has to be sorted out and quickly as we are now approaching the second half of the season and we need to get out of this league ASAP

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. That is all I can think of to say about last night. Words fail me!
The team seemed to lack confidence, flair and creativity. No forward play, poor passing and second to the ball each time.
Are they tired? is there unrest in the back room. Who knows but, whatever it is - it has to be sorted out and quickly as we are now approaching the second half of the season and we need to get out of this league ASAP

Surely if they were tired then playing the ball on the deck would be better then pumping it forward and have to chase things down , if you want to wear a team out then jus keep the ball and make them do the running .

Poor performance and shocked at the level of ability ......My left back at my standard can clip a ball down the line to turn a defence around without finding touch or the goalkeeper everytime . IF a neutral was watching that they would of thought that Bradford were the Title chasing side and that we were teh team that couldn;t win an away game .

Harris man of the match?

In the words of Fenton the dogs owner.... Jesus CHRIST!!!

I too expected certain players to try to prove they dont need BM and against a very poor basement side who had failed to win an away game they had a great opportunity to do so. However they showed NO COMMITMENT, NO DESIRE, NO PASSION and WON NOTHING IN THE AIR. All the things (and more besides) that player brings to the side.

After just 10 minutes in I said our front two would win nothing from the balls hoofed...... oh sorry I understand we are supposed to call it 'long ball', to them. However we did not seem to have a plan B. I have no objection to putting the ball in the air from a deep wing position for our attackers to run to, but we did not play any pass and move to enable that to happen. I have every respect for Paul S but felt last night he left it far too late in changing it. Mid first half when his 2nd in command was warming up I found myself (unusually) screaming at him sort it out and change it. Most of us could see we were being out-played and out-fought by a side in danger of relegation.

Reallity check: We started and finished with 11 players at home against a side well below us in the league, so where is the
excuse now!

On this showing they should thank their lucky stars that they will not be at Anfield taking an embarising 'bigger' hammering than our youths did last year.

I hate and very rarely put a negative post on here but last night made me wonder why I was so keen to get tickets for our next away matches!

Words fail me. Such a pathetic performanced.

The last two league games have been actually painful to watch. I cant recall feeling as gutted as I did yesterday before.

Poor performances everywhere on the pitch. Only Grant and Sawyer showed any sort of attacking intent. Harris and Gilbert were truely woeful, Ferdinand a passenger and Hally looked like a pub player.

Whilst I dont normally like him I thought Prosser was ok, Phillips looked shaky without Barker alongside him. Timlin was my pick of the midfield which dosent say a lot as all of them were dismal.

The only positive I can draw is that a win might have papered over the cracks and PS can be left in no doubt we need to reinforce if we want to go up automatically.

If we continue with this style of play then we need someone up top like their number 9, i thought he was excellent all game, big nasty bully who won every single header or ball played up to him all night. Compare him to our front 2 and the difference was there for everyone to see.

Was too depressed to log on after the match last night and not much happier this morning.
Have not read all the post's as I would imagine it would send my mood on a backward spiral again.
For what it is worth it was by far the worst home performance I have seen for several year's and
that would include several relegation season's but maybe a bad game or two has been pushed to the back
of my mind and can only hope this game join's them soon.
Nobody IMHO put in even an average performance and most would only merit a 4 mark with only the subs possibly doing a bit better and personally feel changes should some times be used sooner by PS as he often seems reluctant
to freshen things up when we are playing poorly.
Ending on a positive note we are still second in the league and we have not a home game until next year !

Back