• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Morecambe FC

A continuation of the first 3 games where we play academy style football with no end product. It’s not nice to pick out individuals but it is clear that many of our young players are not good enough for this level and may never be. K Taylor kept the ball well but I did not see any evidence of the creativity we need to start making chances for our admittedly limited strikers. Well done Emile who held the ball up better to link up play and a committed performance from JD. Undercover shrimper got a roasting on here for suggesting that MM may not have been the best appointment - whilst I agree he does need time I think he does also bear some responsibility for our lack of tactical nous and plan B. Would like to see JD revert to RB and give Tom Clifford a go at LB as he showed real promise last season. As Cloughie used to say good teams are built from the back and unfortunately we seem to building our team on quick sand

Oxley - flapping as usual

Elvis - looks tired, made mistakes

Taylor - OK

Hobson - ok

Ralph - good

Egri - won free kicks, but ,,,

Taylor - loanee - good

JD - looked comfortable but not dangerous

Green - good

Goodship - tried but poor -

Acquah - mobility improved - average

wind affected game ,,,

we did not win ,

MM certanly seemed to be the Zoners choice ..

I think he has the squad to be getting results - we are not getting them ....

Hugely disappointing result. I thought first half, with a proper target man up top in Acquah, that we actually looked almost normal!

Goodship was playing well in support and what I assume is a more normal role for him. Demi alongside a quite impressive Taylor (K) was showing some bite and determination. Ralph and Green had our left wing quietly sown up.

The problem for me is Hobson and Taylor, and, also Elvis. Taylor (R) looked the more senior of the two central defenders today, which is ridiculous, and Elvis is back to where he was when he first broke into the 1st team and got blamed for a defeat away at Charlton. Egbri is not the answer in front of Elvis.

We desperately need Lennon or White back in that defence, or even Dieng.

Still, there were some positives - Kyle Taylor was our stand out player, and I look forward to seeing him alongside Macca. Nathan Ralph also showed some promise. We played some lovely one touch football at times and it is clear that they are working hard in training.

Like I said last week, I don't understand why Egbri starts ahead of Kinali and I would like to see some change in that area next week. Hopefully some more fit again players back in also. On the whole though, a huge improvement, and let's hope it continues.

My point was about the abuse towards Kelman and my reference to his age was to emphasise how damaging it can be to an 18 year old lad. Ted Smith retired due to social media abuse. It’s toxic and it’s certainly not going to be the catalyst for Kelman to turn into League Two’s top scorer. There’s nothing to be achieved from it.

For what it’s worth, no I don’t think Kelman has been as effective as he was last season. But the season has barely got going and he’ll still be adapting. Yes he misplaced passes, but that doesn’t automatically mean he’s sulking or has a bad attitude. Maybe he’s just a young lad low on confidence? He’s one of our own. We should be encouraging him and nurturing him. Not digging him out with abuse out after a few below par games.
I'm not sure how we're going to encourage him - we can't even cheer him at the moment.
As said, have never booed one of ours ever at a game, and have never been abusive towards a player.
BUT if a player plays badly then he deserves criticism.
If he wishes to avoid it when we're fighting for or lives, he shouldn't be involved in big boys football.
Allowing free rein to anyone just because of their age is not much of a motivation.
In fact, Kelman probably doesn't want sympathy because he's 18 - he might even deem it patronising.

Bloody sad to see how far our club has fallen. Just opened Youtube to see a highlight of Anthony Straker heading in a goal vs Burton Albion in the 2013/14 playoffs. Happier days.

Why are people surprised? The squad is non-league and in all honesty if we were in the National League now we’d still be fighting a relegation battle. It will take several years to repair the damage done to this club.

I'm not sure how we're going to encourage him - we can't even cheer him at the moment.
As said, have never booed one of ours ever at a game, and have never been abusive towards a player.
BUT if a player plays badly then he deserves criticism.
If he wishes to avoid it when we're fighting for or lives, he shouldn't be involved in big boys football.
Allowing free rein to anyone just because of their age is not much of a motivation.
In fact, Kelman probably doesn't want sympathy because he's 18 - he might even deem it patronising.

You haven’t, which is great, but others have. It’s not Kelman’s fault we’re fighting for our lives. What’s he supposed to say? “Gaffer I’m worried I might have a bad game, leave me out”. I’m not saying he should be exempt from criticism, I’m saying he shouldn’t be subjected to abuse. Nor should anyone for that matter. They’re two very different things. Unless you know him personally you have no idea what he wants. I’m sure some people thought Ted Smith didn’t want our sympathy.

Find it a bit weird that you’re still trying to make excuses for and justify people abusing our players. My post was never about asking people to give everyone a 7 rating even if they had a crap game, it was about asking people not to openly abuse our players. That isn’t unreasonable.

27th August 2004 we were bottom of L2 after 5 games and having played a game more than everyone else.

Griemink, Jupp, Prior, Barrett, Nicolau, Pettefor, Bentley, Maher, Gower, Dudfield Broughton Subs Flahaven, Edwards, Gray, Bramble Hunt.

I don’t think any of today’s lot would even get on the bench then apart from maybe JD.

Oh then we added Eastwood in October.

How times have changed. Hard to see any hope at all.

Last edited:
I'm trying to be positive in the slim hope that in a week or two our team could look something like this

Oxley
Elvis White Lennon Clifford
Macca
Green Taylor Ralph
Goodship Akinola

Bench from
Dieng
Egbri
Hobson
Taylor
Acquah
Philips
Gard
Seadon
Rush
Plus maybe 1 or 2 new signings, Assuming Kelman and Hutch leave
I reckon that team is 6 weeks away

Yep. Some of our fans are just completely toxic. I’ve seriously just had enough now. One search of ‘Kelman’ on Twitter brings up all sorts.

“**** off Kelman, literally no interest in playing for us anymore! Cash in now!”

“Bang on, the prick thinks he’s made it already”

“Kelman you useless idiot. You clearly don’t care just leave the club”

“**** off Kelman”

“One magical goal and two against a team below us last season in the cup, you can have all the ability you want but if you don’t have respect, desire and commitment for the club you are contracted too IMO you can Fcuk right off. Get rid of him ASAP!”

I could go on and on. Plenty more being said about others too. No idea what these clowns think they’re achieving.

That is incredibly depressing. Kelman is off form, in a disfunctional team, being asked to lead the line at 18 years old. I never realised it was as bad as this. Utterly unacceptable from so-called fans.

Open question, perhaps MM should stop trying to play Premiership academy style football and go back to what made Weymouth successful in the lower leagues...

I haven't seen a lot of Weymouth's games in the past two years so I have no idea what style of play they adopt.

I think a 4-5-1 might be a better way for us to set up, but MM needs to play the style he believes in. It might not be working now, but we have to play the long game here. We haven't given a manager a fair crack for a long time now.

Hugely disappointing result. I thought first half, with a proper target man up top in Acquah, that we actually looked almost normal!

Goodship was playing well in support and what I assume is a more normal role for him. Demi alongside a quite impressive Taylor (K) was showing some bite and determination. Ralph and Green had our left wing quietly sown up.

The problem for me is Hobson and Taylor, and, also Elvis. Taylor (R) looked the more senior of the two central defenders today, which is ridiculous, and Elvis is back to where he was when he first broke into the 1st team and got blamed for a defeat away at Charlton. Egbri is not the answer in front of Elvis.

Still, there were some positives - Kyle Taylor was our stand out player, and I look forward to seeing him alongside Macca. Nathan Ralph also showed some promise. We played some lovely one touch football at times and it is clear that they are working hard in training.

Like I said last week, I don't understand why Egbri starts ahead of Kinali and I would like to see some change in that area next week. Hopefully some more fit again players back in also. On the whole though, a huge improvement, and let's hope it continues.

I absolutely agree with your point about Kinali. He really should be in the current team. A skilful player who has a decent shot and also a very determined player that is willing to work hard to win the ball from opponents.

I think Hobson will come good with more games and more experienced players in the team

Ive said this on many occassion here in Shrimperzone ,anyone who calls themselves a supporter and boos or slags off at one of our players is NOT A SUPPORTER , and as far as im concerned they can F**k off and go support the sheep up the highway .Now to change the subject 3 games 3 defeats reading all the threads ( so disheartening ) only advice i can pass onto to MM is give the 4-4-2 away mate. Maybe the squad better suited to a 4-3-1-2 system ,seems the new lad K Taylor played well on limited time in getting to know everyone and has an eye for a pass ,

Oxley - flapping as usual

Elvis - looks tired, made mistakes

Taylor - OK

Hobson - ok

Ralph - good

Egri - won free kicks, but ,,,

Taylor - loanee - good

JD - looked comfortable but not dangerous

Green - good

Goodship - tried but poor -

Acquah - mobility improved - average

wind affected game ,,,

we did not win ,

MM certanly seemed to be the Zoners choice ..

I think he has the squad to be getting results - we are not getting them ....

good lord!.... one of the worst sides we've ever had, but... ok!

thought Ralph did ok on the left wing and if we can get Lennon in the back 4 next week, I'd be tempted to put Clifford left back and move Ralph forward to replace egbri for a bit.

Back