• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great result & excellent start, especially against a side tipped for promotion. Good signings made to strengthen
the squad, & really pleased to see Michael Kightly on the scoresheet. just got to do the same 45 more times!:smile:

Interesting discussion on white I've always thought he was an excellent defender....my issue has been his ability on the ball....not so vital at CB and showed he is an excellent defender.

1 game ! 3 points !! Yay !!!

Thought Blackbin Liners were rather average, expected much more from them - we were far superior for all bar the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, when we seemed to sit deep - which was soon rectified, but only after we conceded, should have been 3 up at H/t and had the chances to bury them late in the 2nd. Very impressed particularly by White, McGlashan and most of all Kightly.

Oxley - 7 - Nice save early on at 0-0, only fault was coming and mis-timing a ball midway through the first which could have cost us. Apart from that a solid display and good distribution.
Demetriou - 7.5 - I do love his energy, got forward well, but still needs to be a bit more decisive. Defended well though. Works well with McGlashan.
White - 9 - Confident and assured, never put a foot (or head) wrong.
Ferdinand - 8 - Just another classy captains performance, never really looked pressured
Hendrie - 6 - Still not convinced, looked OK defensively, but too many stray balls, although did improve in the 2nd. Didn't seem on the same wavelength as Kightly at times, but it will come in time.
McGlashan - 9 - Suprised that he started ahead of McLaughlin, but so glad he did. Fantastic throughout, highlight was making up 25 yards and winning the ball in the 2nd half.
Leonard - 8.5 - Well taken goal, just seems to have carried on where he left off last season. Please stay Lenny!!
Timlin - 8 - Good performance, got stuck in as usual, it's what he does! :-)
Kightly - 9.5 - MOM for me, looked a class apart from anyone else on the pitch, he could well be the difference this season.
Cox - 7 - Should have scored in the 1st? Worked hard, and looks in good shape - still reckon he'll eclipse that goal tally of last season
Fortune - 7 - Should have buried a 2nd half header, good hold up play to bring others into the game.

Subs:
Robinson looked a bit out of sorts, and somewhat lethargic TBH, would like to see Ba get a run out in the Newport game - as could need other options in the coming games until we know the deal with Ranger

McLaughlin looked good when he came on, not much time on the pitch but with McG on form today we'll have to see if he'll win his starting place back?

Last word to the elderly shrimper on the other side of block U, really sad to hear he had passed away. The only downside to what was a great day. RIP.

Like many of you have said, what a great performance. 2-1 wasn't a reflection of the game, in truth it could have been 3 or 4 and if we are honest the missed chances are the only slight downside. But, three points against the favourites for promotion in front of 9k plus is a brilliant start to the season. Blackburn were very disappointing but we gave them very little. Apart from a couple of spells in either half we dominated the game. For me the stand out players were White, Kightly, Anton and Timlin. Oxley also did very well and couldn't do much with the goal. Lenny certainly improved on Pre season and hopefully this result will help him realise we are the best place for him. Both full backs played very well, Hendrie had a shaky start but grew into the game, Deme had his best game for us. Mcglashan continues to frustrate, no doubt has the ability but needs the confidence and maybe a run of games to fulfil this. Upfront both Cox and MAF worked their sock off and both unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. With Rotherham, low on confidence and Plymouth just promoted there is no reason why we can't pick up a good number of early points. Bare in mind that this eleven didn't include, Wordsworth, Macca, Coker or Kiernan then we are looking very strong. Not sure what is happening with Ranger, but possibly another striker would be useful and depending on Lenny maybe another centre midfielder. All in all an excellent and very promising start to the season

I'm quite amused (reading Blackburns forum) how some of them think they're a big club and we turned up because they think they are. Though to be fare, those who think they're a big club were shot down by others.

I was actually disappointed that not more fans didn't turn up, they obviously agree with myself thinking they're not a giant in English football. Now Sheffield United are a big big club, not Blackburn.

Looking at there average attendance from last year, it's quite shocking, they even had a crowd of below 10,000. We averaged nearly the same as them when we were in the Championship and in a small run down ground.

Wake up call Blackburn big boy Charlie's, you're not a big club at all... Welcome to league 1 :smile:

Excellent team performance with special mention to John White and McGlashan.The only negative thought is the missed chances and the inability of MAF to win any balls in the air. In my own fantasy world how about we cut MAF in half, do the same with Nile Ranger and put Rangers' top half onto MAF, transplant the brain form MDF into Ranger and we would have one hell of a player!
Back in the real world, the team deserved to win and with it, will gain a lot of confidence fro the coming months

Excellent team performance with special mention to John White and McGlashan.The only negative thought is the missed chances and the inability of MAF to win any balls in the air. In my own fantasy world how about we cut MAF in half, do the same with Nile Ranger and put Rangers' top half onto MAF, transplant the brain form MDF into Ranger and we would have one hell of a player!
Back in the real world, the team deserved to win and with it, will gain a lot of confidence fro the coming months

The guy didn't stop all game and caused all sort of problems for Blackburn's defence, they couldn't cope with him.. How old is he :stunned: What a great signing he's turned out to be. Yet, the other clubs he's played for thought he was finished.

A good pre season and he looked like a 25 year old.

A result that neither my head or heart predicted but I am very happy to have been wrong. As always, with any realistic promotion push, consistency will be key. I am looking forward to seeing what we have achieved after the first ten games. Well done to the team and coaches for an opening day present for all the supporters.

Just an observation, when we had Bentley in goal we seemed to play out from the back more often. Oxley tends to kick long balls which he does well, and sometimes to good effect, however more often yesterday their tall CBs and CMs won the aerial duels. Should we not be using Demetriou's pace to bring the ball forward more often with the short pass from the GK?

Just say in' like...

Oxley 6.5 - moments of hesitancy particularly when he flapped for the cross that led to a free header ... also rushing out when the ball was clearly going to be nodded back to him (almost an own goal).

Demetriou 8 - looked very impressive going forward and defended very well.

White 7.5 - had a good day at the office and beat Graham to almost everything in the air.

Ferdinand 7.5 - calm and composed as always.

Hendrie 7 - took a while to get going and was maybe a little slow in reacting to certain phases of play. Definitely improved as the game went on and looked comfortable in possession.

McGlaashan 8.5 MOTM - direct running was a nightmare for the Blackburn defence who were literally standing off of him. If he can find some consistency he will be like a new signing.

Timlin 7.5 - reliable as always

Leonard 8 - took his goal well but it's his tactical awareness that's so impressive. Always makes the right decision when to go forward and when to stay. Very rarely dives in but he's smart enough to sense danger (and subsequently when to take a foul). Crucial we keep him.

Kightly 8 - oozed class and we're very lucky to have him. One of the most talented players in the division without doubt.

Fortune 7 - okay for the first 80 and brilliant for the last 10. He has proved a master-stroke of a signing given our initial reservations

Cox 7 - not too many clear cut chances but keeps defenders on their toes. His touch and hold up play for a little guy is impeccable.

Subs made an impact and get a 6.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As many have already said some great individual performances and very pleasing that John White has rightly silenced a few on here. He gets my MOM a head of Kightly because you don't win games unless you can defend. What was really good was they way he switched rolls with Anton. Last season Anton would sweep behind Thommo but yesterday if a Blackburn forward dropped into the space like a number 10 then Anton would just follow and stay tight whilst JW would simply drop in and sweep. Was one of the main reasons we made it look easy at the back.

A couple of things really stood out as a team performance. Firstly the work rate in the first half. The closing down by the boys up top was outstanding, Cox, MAF, Kightly and McG made sure they never settled and hurried their passes. Of course a poor pass meant Lenny and Tims could rob the ball off of their play makers and then would move with much more pace and energy once we had possession.

The second thing that really impressed me was how the team rallied after they scored. At half time we were saying lets have a good 10 minutes so they don't get back in the game to early. Fair play to them they came out and had a good go and we were struggling to keep the ball up front when we did clear. Once that kick flew in and the 1500 away fans livened up it looked like we could be in for along 40+ mins. However there was only one team in it from then on and Ox never had a worthy save to make. In the end 2-1 flattered them. As well as MAF, Theo also missed an easy header late on.

Still great performance all round. Good to see OX back, Hendrie and Deme having a solid 90 and Anton with his captains strut from the first game this season.

As I said the work rate of the 4 attacking lads meant Lenny and Tims spent far more time facing the Blackburn goal which is just what we want.

I think the crowd listen to Seventies rally call and produced a great atmosphere so well done to all those who made it. Credit to the Blackburn fans there was plenty of them in the Railway before and after and they all seemed OK.

Now do yourself a favour and get down to the Hall on Tuesday, Its only £10 and you will probably get the chance to see Yearwood make his first team debut as well as maybe Kiernan and that alone is worth £10.

Demetriou 8 - looked very impressive going forward and defended very well.

White 7.5 - had a good day at the office and beat Graham to almost everything in the air.

I'm not sure how can you seriously believe that Demetriou had a better game than White, I think there has been almost 100% agreement on here and on the public votes on Twitter that White was our best player - and 100% certainty that he was our best defender!

We were excellent yesterday except for 10 mins when they scored when we were seriously under pressure. Loads of positives that others have already mentioned. My only extra thoughts were, ref was very good, can we please not give free kicks unnecessarily within sight of our goal ( timlin unless I am mistaken) , we should have scored more which would have taken the pressure off. Finally the pitch, was it a deliberate ploy to keep the grass long, they seemed to under hit a lot of passes, or was that simply because we put them under so much pressure :smile:

i had john white as MOM, mate had Mcglashen.

looking forward to Tuesday, and first time ever in east stand (excluding boxes)

The second thing that really impressed me was how the team rallied after they scored.

I think the supporters could take a small slice of credit for this, nothing but encouragement from where I was sitting. :thumbsup:

The guy didn't stop all game and caused all sort of problems for Blackburn's defence, they couldn't cope with him.. How old is he :stunned: What a great signing he's turned out to be. Yet, the other clubs he's played for thought he was finished.

A good pre season and he looked like a 25 year old.

In all honesty he looked finished in a few games towards the end of last season. No question of his ability, but he really looked like he'd a had a long season and was really labouring, and he's the sort of player that needs to be at 100% to be effective.

Fair play to him though, he was outstanding yesterday, was constantly available, kept running and gave us exactly what we needed...looked shattered towards the end, but still had that burst of acceleration to skin Mulgrew and get the ball in for Robinson late on.

There were no weak links at all, and it would be very difficult to pick a MOM, but it would have to be White, Timlin, Leonard or Fortune for me...probably MAF if you held a gun to my head.

What is telling to me is that MAF was not happy at the end of the game. He wanted to score and he did not like the tactic of taking the ball to the corner.

For the record, I agree with MAF - we should have gone for the 3rd goal.

What is telling to me is that MAF was not happy at the end of the game. He wanted to score and he did not like the tactic of taking the ball to the corner.

For the record, I agree with MAF - we should have gone for the 3rd goal.

Agreed I get going in the corner in most situations like that...but we had something like 4 against 2 on that attack and there was no danger of losing possession. Kightly ( I think it was him) just ignored Fortune and Robinson who had only 1 defender with them. Bad decision, but if that's the only negative then we've had a good day!

Question.

Is the yellow goalkeeper kit the home one or is the Green one that was advertised with the home kit?

Very impressive start agree with most comments on here. A few additional observations

* Kightly takes a brilliant corner, I'm sure we'll get a few goals from them this season.
* Timlin - Don't let him take free kicks, a few poor decisions.
* McG - a real threat, need to see lots more of that this season.

Bring on Newport

Back