• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-1 Coventry City

I still think our attacking dynamic is a tad odd. We have ranger and Cox playing so well and causing carnage for the defense....without scoring themselves.
I love watching them play and they basically open up the opposition in the final third...for others to score the goals. I'm not overly aware of a 'strike duo' that are so effective without scoring goals....many positives...but possibly a worry too?????

It's odd but we're scoring a lot of goals now. I don't particularly care who scores them although it might get them some stick from some of our less educated fans who don't see what they bring to the team (see comment earlier about the guy slagging Cox). Cox has had the ball in the net twice this week with lovely finishes. Shame they were both offside!

Surprised that many suggesting Coventry were poor today. I tend to disagree. They were definitely second best but seen plenty worse teams here this season. They have a number of talented players who just look lacking in confidence and perhaps not fully functioning as a team.

It took a very commanding performance from our boys today.. where at least six or seven players were outstanding. Oxley; Wordsworth; Leonard; Ferdinand; Cox; Ranger and McLaughlin all could lay claim to MOM, and Timlin made up in character and bottle what he lost from being slightly up against it at full back.

The spine of that team starting to look Championship quality but couldn't help feeling looking at the bench at half time warm up that it wont take too much to derail us. We need to strengthen if we want to keep this momentum until May.

Referee managed game ok, but no yellow card for tackle on Timlin, and then the rugby tackle to follow on McLaughlin. Odd considering he opened the yellow card account early for something much more innocuous.

It's odd but we're scoring a lot of goals now. I don't particularly care who scores them although it might get them some stick from some of our less educated fans who don't see what they bring to the team (see comment earlier about the guy slagging Cox). Cox has had the ball in the net twice this week with lovely finishes. Shame they were both offside!

No complaints from me, results speak for themselves. Just an alternative slant on it

I feel sorry for the Coventry supporters, they sound a lot like many on here was when we were struggling at the beginning of the season,only difference being it appears to me that theres no light at the end of the tunnel for them.Personally i hoe they survive ,but have my doubts,reading between the lines ,it seems they are about to lose there academy and training facilities to developers,already dont have a ground it seems , so will be looking to share with some other club.Have a **** owner etc.I feel for them and hope they survive but cannot see a future for them at present.Need someone to come in and form AFC SKY BLUES.
:sad:

I feel sorry for the Coventry supporters, they sound a lot like many on here was when we were struggling at the beginning of the season,only difference being it appears to me that theres no light at the end of the tunnel for them.Personally i hoe they survive ,but have my doubts,reading between the lines ,it seems they are about to lose there academy and training facilities to developers,already dont have a ground it seems , so will be looking to share with some other club.Have a **** owner etc.I feel for them and hope they survive but cannot see a future for them at present.Need someone to come in and form AFC SKY BLUES.
:sad:

They should never have left Highfield road. Great stadium and more than adequate.

Yes and our post counts are high when things aren't going well.

True enough Andy. There are rarely posts on post match reporting from a number of high quantity post posters after a good win; YET when we get a spanking at a game they didn't go to, home or away, then those persons will be here and here and here again: especially if they can make sniping attacks at PB, Oxley, O'Neil or who ever.
Rarely, if ever a match report from THEM!

#postsisposts

True enough Andy. There are rarely posts on post match reporting from a number of high quantity post posters after a good win; YET when we get a spanking at a game they didn't go to, home or away, then those persons will be here and here and here again: especially if they can make sniping attacks at PB, Oxley, O'Neil or who ever.
Rarely, if ever a match report from THEM!

#postsisposts

Or if there's something (bad newswise) going on re Ron or Fossetts - they're all on the Zone then!

Something I noticed moreso yesterday was how, when Coventry had a corner, Anton organized everyone. Making sure everyone picked someone up and stayed stuck to them. Shouting at everyone "make sure you've got him tight. He's your man" and so on.

It can't just be a coincidence that, since we switched to 4-4-2 and Anton appears to have been given the full responsibility at the back, the number of goals we concede from corners is virtually nil now.

There wasn't a single Coventry player left unmarked, yet many of those horror goals we conceded last year and earlier this season, were when players were just left totally free.

This is not a slight on anyone else, but more a highlighting of his value to the side.

I think it's also given Oxley a free rein to come and punch crosses, which is one of his real strengths, while everyone else picks the runners up.

Well said that man. It is so easy to support a winning team not so clever to be loyal when we are struggling. Thank God for the patient fans. COYBB

Something I noticed moreso yesterday was how, when Coventry had a corner, Anton organized everyone. Making sure everyone picked someone up and stayed stuck to them. Shouting at everyone "make sure you've got him tight. He's your man" and so on.

It can't just be a coincidence that, since we switched to 4-4-2 and Anton appears to have been given the full responsibility at the back, the number of goals we concede from corners is virtually nil now.

There wasn't a single Coventry player left unmarked, yet many of those horror goals we conceded last year and earlier this season, were when players were just left totally free.

This is not a slight on anyone else, but more a highlighting of his value to the side.

I think it's also given Oxley a free rein to come and punch crosses, which is one of his real strengths, while everyone else picks the runners up.

Anton and the Ox have been key to our 9 game unbeaten run. They are obviously key positions for any team but with those 2 now enjoying the party we have given ourselves a real chance.

To link up to another thread one of those 137 staff members is now our full time keeping coach. When I was at Boots and Laces a couple of months back, they were working on Oxley's punching. You might think it should come natural to a keeper but I have to say Ox's technique was not the best.

He has clearly improved even in his relatively short time with us. He gets something on it and clears the area. This has given him more confidence to actually come for the ball in the first place. Credit to Oxley and the goal keeping unit, including Ted because after Northampton most fans had written the season off. So there's one extra wage that has paid for its self.

Ox clearly now feels part of the team, so much so he ran 70yds up the pitch at Walsall to get involved in the end of game brawl. When your keeper gets to the brawl before their keeper despite having to cover an extra 30yds, you know its safe to start thinking top 6 rather than bottom 6.

I cannot disagree with your summary of how things appear. Anton has brought his experience to the party and everyone is benefiting. What amazes me though, is how for years, the team seemed to not pick the opposition up on set pieces, despite it being one of the practices drummed into all players since they were kids. It looked previously as though the players were following instructions and it made them look confused and poor at defending. If Anton has played a part in sorting this out then more power to him. We certainly seem a more solid defensive outfit now and that augurs well.

Let me start with Coventry. Did you know they have not finished in the top 6 of any division they've played in since they were promoted to the top flight in 1966? But even so, they spent 30 odd years in the top flight and really shouldn't be struggling at this level. But they are. They're clearly a mess. You only had to listen to their support to notice that. Its a shame to see.

As for us. This is a completely different team from the one I watched as recently as early October and a frankly appalling performance at Rochdale. We ooze confidence, attack at pace, look a threat, are solid at the back and our keeper seems to have learned his job. You have to credit the management team for most of that.

Cox and Ranger look, at times, unplayable. Cox is so clever and is so fortunate to have Ranger there with him. In the past we've seen players like Freedman, Harris and Hunt look out of place because they were playing with people who didn't have the mental acumen to see what they did. Cox does, and we are starting to see why he was rated so highly when he came in.

I've said in the past McLaughlin is the best footballer we have at the club. Thay may not be the case now we have those guys up top, but that was the best I've seen him play at this level. They didn't know what to do with him.

Ferdinand just looks class at whatever he does. He reads the game so well and Thommo is learning so much so quickly.

The really impressive thing about yesterday was the number of times we won the ball back. In the past we'd have sat back and waited for the ball to be given away. Now we hunt it like a pack.

Its a testament to how far we've come when you leave a game disappointed that we only got three :)

................. and when Anton went off we conceded.

I'm not Ron's biggest fan (for off the field matters), however I think he deserves praise for backing PB when the chips were down. He said he thought results would improve once PB got in the players he wanted and they were all fit..and so it proved :thumbsup:

Ox clearly now feels part of the team, so much so he ran 70yds up the pitch at Walsall to get involved in the end of game brawl. When your keeper gets to the brawl before their keeper despite having to cover an extra 30yds, you know its safe to start thinking top 6 rather than bottom 6.

Not that I condone that type of behaviour but I remember Corr away at Hartlepool running from the other half and all the way back to our penalty area to tell the referee what he thought about the decision to award a foul against us. I suspect all professionals must have a large "desire to win" quotient otherwise they would just end up in the lower leagues - and that is the manager's job to tap into that in a positive way.

Back