• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thought Robinson made a massive difference when he came on, pace made wallsall sit back more

Don't know if anyone has said but rep to anyone who can, from my check, tell the last time we came from 2-0 at half time to win.

Boston United at home, when Rob Newman substituted himself after 28 minutes. About 2004.

I actually thought we did ok until they scored (out of nothing) then we went to pieces for a while and conceeded a stupid second.

However in the second half we took our chances and though I didn't think anyone played too badly we looked so much better when Robinson and Cox (how class is that guy!!) came on.

Agree with MOM, Leonard was superb, but liked the look of Amos and Atkinson put in an excellent shift as usaul.

Did anyone else notice how upset /emotional Ferninand was at the end ? He walked over to the Walsall supporters , I didn't see if anything happened, but when he walked back to the West he clearly looked overwrought, maybe the goal and win meant that much?

Probably the best sub today was taking off Innis (who was awful, his strength in the air masks how clueless he looks when the ball is on the ground) for Demitreou, not only did we look stronger at the back (giving us more time on the ball) but it also gave us more options going forward from the back, and Walsall weren't able to cope with that.

Did anyone else notice how upset /emotional Ferninand was at the end ? He walked over to the Walsall supporters , I didn't see if anything happened, but when he walked back to the West he clearly looked overwrought, maybe the goal and win meant that much?

I think he said that it was the first game his daughter has watched him in.

After the last few home games at Roots Hall we all hoped for drama and excitement in this game and finally both were provided. I say finally as Mr Brown chose to set the team out a little differently today with Ranger leading the line as a lone forward and he also chose not to select Cox Thompson, Robinson, Demetriou Timlin or Fortune to start. Instead John White retained the right back slot and Inniss partnered Ferdinand at the back and Amos got his first start of the season. Maybe PB chose to change the formation to nullify Walsall’s diminutive play maker Oztumer. If that was the case the formation worked as a tackle from Woody (identity confirmed by Jay and OBL as I thought it was Lenny) ended his involvement after 15 minutes but heralded the arrival of Franck Moussa, back to the Roots Hall pitch. How does he repay us for all our love in the past? He scores twice within 10 minutes, the ungrateful git. Seriously, the formation change appeared to unsettle the team and we were nothing like the team we have been. Second to the ball more often than not, misplaced passes and our defending for both of the Walsall goals was woeful. Surely professional footballers should be able to handle a change of tactics? Not the team I saw in the first half couldn’t. So 0-2 down and there endeth the first half with much despondency all round in the West Stand, including the West Stand gents. Even a fresh coat of cream paint in there could not lift spirits.

So onto the second 45 minutes and no obvious changes had been made to the team or formation. And off we went again until the 50[SUP]th[/SUP] minute when Demetriou and Robinson were bought on for Amos and Inniss and immediately there was far more urgency and pace about our game. An honourable mention for Amos by the way. I thought he was one of the few players to come out of the first half with any credit. Then on the 63[SUP]rd[/SUP] minute the goal I have been banging on about for ages happened, a header from Ranger and we were sort of back in it. You would have thought that Ranger’s first goal at the Hall would have signalled mad hysteria but it was nowhere near the crowd explosion I was expecting. Anyway, next into the goal scoring action was Mr Ferdinand in the 76[SUP]th[/SUP] minute and after that it was game on. Everything changed, the players’ attitudes, the crowd’s backing, the lot, all for the better. In the 83[SUP]rd[/SUP] minute we were awarded a direct free kick and up stepped Cox who had come on for Atkinson. Nobody can say that a player will definitely score, but you just knew that Coxy would smack it in, maybe to prove a point to PB for leaving him out? Who knows. Anyway, up he steps and bosh, back of the net and 3-2 to us. Cue mad celebrations all round. There was five minutes added on which we saw out comfortably, so in the end well done Blues, me and her went home very happy people. Play-offs still a possibility, but please Phil, don’t keep dicking about with the formation, stay with what the players know best. Well done for the substitutions but maybe we would have won comfortably if you hadn’t tinkered?

ps - Wordsworth worked his nuts off this afternoon and I also thought the Ref was one of the best I have seen at the Hall this season.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has said but rep to anyone who can, from my check, tell the last time we came from 2-0 at half time to win.

I seem to remember a game under Tilly during our promotion season in league two when we we came back to win 3-2 having been 2-0 down at half time. Can't remember the opposition. Would have been around 2004- 2005 I think. Mark Gower got one in that game I'm sure.

Make no mistake we got away with that.

firstly the tactics and formation were wrong. To play one upfront at home against a team that hasn't won away this year was baffling. Inniss playing ahead of Thompson again baffling. Despite this we did create decent chances, the diff first half was they took their two chances we didn't take ours. Second half started slowly and we seemed to be lacking ideas. The subs made a massive diffference. Cox is simply class and makes such a difference when on the pitch. Theo I thought was excellent, did everything but score and had Ranger passed as he should have then he would have had the goal he deserved. Demetriou I see so much better going forward than defensively so the game was suited for him.

amos I thought looked ok and quite tidy, Lenny rightly mom, Wilo struggled to get in the game and woody the same as of late. In and out the game but needs to get stuck in more

so a great afternoon in the end but PB needs to pick his best 11, in the right formation and go for it.

Wombles next week will be a very tough test, Cox needs to start next to ranger for suree and thommo defo needs to come back in. Would stick with white at right back as think we will be under the cosh a bit. Midfield of Macca, Lenny, Wordsworth and willo

Right. Let's get the bad stuff out of the way, first.

As most people will have gathered, I will support PB more than not on most things, but what on earth was the thinking behind today's starting XI. Absolutely ridiculous. Everyone said it before the game. Why would you even consider changing a system and leaving out three of the best players this season, to accommodate a loanee and change the style of play.

I think PB knows it, as he disappeared down the tunnel at the final whistle. His players got him out of jail today, without any doubt whatsoever. Crazy thinking.

RATINGS :

Smith 6.5 - Poor kick out for their second, but generally was fine.

White 6 - Better at centre-half, but overall was OK.

Inniss 5.5 - Not one of his most impressive displays. Will be amazed if Thommo doesn't come back in next Saturday.

Ferdinand 7.5 - Solid and commanding, in general and popped up with an invaluable equalizer.

Coker 7 - Bit in and out. Please can he work on taking dead-ball situations and not chip them in like some golfer playing an approach shot.

Leonard 7.5 - All-round Lenny display. What we have come to expect.

Atkinson 7 - Thought he had a good game and did well for our first goal.

Amos 7 - Showed glimpses and struck the best dead-ball of the first half. Quality delivery.

Wordsworth 7.5 - Much more like his old self, but was hamstrung by the ludicrous set-up of the side.

McLaughlin 6.5 - Nothing seemed to quite come off for him today.

Ranger 8.5 MOM - Best performance from him. Got a good, strong 90 minutes and he was a menace all afternoon. Really high quality commitment.

SUBS :

Robinson 8 - Made a huge difference.

Demetriou 7.5 - Likewise and that shot was really travelling. I think that was the catalyst that really lifted us.

Cox 8 - How on earth is this guy on the bench. What is the thought process behind the non-selection. Nuts!

WALSALL :

Losing Oztumer, you'd have thought, would be a bit of a dagger to the heart, but Franck Moussa entered centre-stage. Overall they were tidy and neat, but were completely over-run in the end.

Their keeper pulled off three outstanding saves.

REFEREE :

Excellent, I thought.

OVERALL :

Of late, the players have copped a bit of stick, but they got us out of jail today. Big time.

Last 20 minutes we were outstanding.

The rest is at the manager's door, this time, I'm afraid to say.

All I can say is it's game on :thumbsup: We're back in the play offs, lets stay there :happy:

Smith [6] - unusually poor distribution led to the second walsall goal.

White [6.5] - more comfortable at CB, not as dynamic as Dimi moving forward which doesn't compliment Atkinson's role.
Innis [5.5] - has some of the attributes to be an excellent CF at this level however poor decision making will ultimately cost him as proved today. Correct decision to substitute him.
Ferdinand [7] - marked up for the goal contribution, some wayward long passing needlessly giving away possession particularly in the first half, needs to look for short passes more often.
Coker [6.5] - solid game, contribution improved during the second half and became more of an attacking threat.

Lenny [7.5] - cannot question his work rate and determination, good all round performance, should not be rested unless injured!
Atkinson [6.5] - hasn't looked quite the same player since he came back into the team, that being said he's overall attitude and effort remains unquestionably good. Can't help that the team would benefit from a natural winger particularly if JW starts at RB.
Wordsworth [7.5] - improved contribution compared to recent weeks, unlucky not to score in the first half with an excellent half volley well saved by the Walsall keeper. Positive attacking run in the second half rewarded with the winning free kick. PB justified in his selection.
McLaughlin [6] - an unusually quiet performance; that's not to say that he wasn't involved in any positive play however I'm not sure the result would have been any different if another squad member had starter in his position. Perhaps the 4-3-3 didn't really suit his game today?
Amos [6.5] - personally I felt that his passing and general composure on the ball was exactly what PB would have expected which is why I was surprised that he was substituted so early in the second half. Definitely has a future in the top two divisions, just needs some game time . . . which is unlikely to come at SUFC between now and the end of the season if PB's post-match comments carry any substance.

Ranger [7.5] - perhaps should have score a couple today, that being said his first home goal couldn't have arrived at a more crucial time in the game. A fit and firing Ranger will give us half a chance at progressing through the play-offs.

Subs
Dimi [7] - I personally questioned this sub, it must be said however that his introduction was one of the key turning points in the game offering direct pace which Walsall had little response to. Fairly sure that PB will revert to starting Dimi next week.
Robinson [7] - tireless work rate, great pressing, excellent attacking threat throughout the 35+ mins he was on the pitch, I would be surprised if PB didn't find a place in the next starting line-up.
Cox [7.5] - marked up for the game-winning goal, quality always shines through as demonstrated by his stunning free-kick.

PB [6.5] - why change a winning team? tactical naivety? over-analysing the opposition? definitely a get out a jail free card played today. Please stop tinkering with the team!

After the last few home games at Roots Hall we all hoped for drama and excitement in this game and finally both were provided. I say finally as Mr Brown chose to set the team out a little differently today with Ranger leading the line as a lone forward and he also chose not to select Cox Thompson, Robinson, Demetriou Timlin or Fortune to start. Instead John White retained the right back slot and Inniss partnered Ferdinand at the back and Amos got his first start of the season. Maybe PB chose to change the formation to nullify Walsall’s diminutive play maker Oztumer. If that was the case the formation worked as a Lenny tackle ended his involvement after 15 minutes but heralded the arrival of Franck Moussa, back to the Roots Hall pitch. How does he repay us for all our love in the past? He scores twice within 10 minutes, the ungrateful git. Seriously, the formation change appeared to unsettle the team and we were nothing like the team we have been. Second to the ball more often than not, misplaced passes and our defending for both of the Walsall goals was woeful. Surely professional footballers should be able to handle a change of tactics? Not the team I saw in the first half couldn’t. So 0-2 down and there endeth the first half with much despondency all round in the West Stand, including the West Stand gents. Even a fresh coat of cream paint in there could not lift spirits.

So onto the second 45 minutes and no obvious changes had been made to the team or formation. And off we went again until the 50[SUP]th[/SUP] minute when Demetriou and Robinson were bought on for Amos and Inniss and immediately there was far more urgency and pace about our game. An honourable mention for Amos by the way. I thought he was one of the few players to come out of the first half with any credit. Then on the 63[SUP]rd[/SUP] minute the goal I have been banging on about for ages happened, a header from Ranger and we were sort of back in it. You would have thought that Ranger’s first goal at the Hall would have signalled mad hysteria but it was nowhere near the crowd explosion I was expecting. Anyway, next into the goal scoring action was Mr Ferdinand in the 76[SUP]th[/SUP] minute and after that it was game on. Everything changed, the players’ attitudes, the crowd’s backing, the lot, all for the better. In the 83[SUP]rd[/SUP] minute we were awarded a direct free kick and up stepped Cox who had come on for Atkinson. Nobody can say that a player will definitely score, but you just knew that Coxy would smack it in, maybe to prove a point to PB for leaving him out? Who knows. Anyway, up he steps and bosh, back of the net and 3-2 to us. Cue mad celebrations all round. There was five minutes added on which we saw out comfortably, so in the end well done Blues, me and her went home very happy people. Play-offs still a possibility, but please Phil, don’t keep dicking about with the formation, stay with what the players know best. Well done for the substitutions but maybe we would have won comfortably if you hadn’t tinkered?

ps - Wordsworth worked his nuts off this afternoon and I also thought the Ref was one of the best I have seen at the Hall this season.

I think you'll find it was Wordsworth that ended Oztumer's game, not Leonard

Comments about formations, tactics and Wordsworth's work rate are welcome on here tonight with total exemption from 'Empty Head' prosecution guaranteed.:thumbsup:

Sounds like PB got it wrong initially - but the players got it right in the end.
Well done all! 3 more valuable points!

Back