• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very entertaining game, excellent and much-needed 3 points and a pretty good performance to boot. The first 25 mins was the best I’ve seen us play this season, including Blackburn. We were intense and fast out of the blocks, up in their faces and doing everything right. I’d largely apply that review to the final 15 mins too. The half hour or 40 mins in between concerned me a bit. There does seem to be a bit too much of a “comfortable” attitude and, some might say, a lack of ruthlessness and desire to put teams to the sword. At the 25 minute mark we took our foot off the gas. I thought a competitive nature and the knowledge that our GD needs drastic improvement would be enough to make the boys maintain the intensity and bag as many goals as possible when we’re as dominant as we were at that stage. People will talk about Karl Robinson’s half time team talk and Charlton being a different team in the second half but surely by taking our foot of he gas and letting them see more of the ball and have more time, we’re sending down the tunnel at half time thinking they have a chance? That’s where mentality and attitude comes into it. If we’d kept up the pressure we’d have almost certainly got a 3rd, and then even if Charlton still came out a different team in the second half at least we’d have had a 3-goal cushion and a less nervy 2nd half.

Nice simple 4-4-2 today, playing to the strengths of our players. We need to keep at this and build on it! Brilliant win.

Well that was a game of three periods! Totally dominated the first half. Completely outplayed for the first 25 mins of the second half then finished strongly again. Outstanding down the left flank, Ranger had a fantastic first half though should have done better when he had a 4 on 2. Fully deserved the 2-0 HT lead. Second half I know it is expected that the opposition will have a go but we went completely into our shells. We were crying out for JW to get on long before he did because Deme was getting ripped apart by Holmes not helped by a lack of covering midfield. Turner won almost nothing in the air and Nile had gone off the boil. It took their goal and a couple of substitutions to wake the team up. Quality bit of composure for the 3rd from Cox came at the perfect time. Anything less than 3 points would have been an injustice when measured over 90 minutes. I know this is my first game of the season but reading the match reports and from what I've seen today the team we have isn't capable of the Brown trademark keep it tight at the back and nick the game by the odd goal or two. If Brown can let the team dictate the pace, use the width and attack he may surprise himself at how capable the team is with that formula. There's enough creativity in that midfield tied with enough bite to keep the opposition on the back foot. Look at how many times they gave the ball away in the first half.

I don't understand the low marks for Ferdinand, I thought he had a solid game. Cox edges man of the match for me with Coker not far behind him.

I may be the lucky mascot the club needs. I'm happy to come back more often if you can put a collection together for the airfare. :smile:

stan33

Good report nice to hear from someone who understands the game

It's been a hard first half of the season at home. We may only have lost once, but its not been pretty nor particularly entertaining. We generally struggle to create chances, mainly because we don't look at going forward. As a consequence (as I said in the Scunny thread) forwards get chances so rarely, they panic.

Today, we started on the front foot and tried to stay playing that way for most the game. We dominated the first half. Charlton didn't play well, but frankly, they weren't allowed to. We were first to pretty much everything, didn't give them any time on the ball and the front two bullied their defenders out of possession several times. Two up in ten minutes. Happy Christmas.

Fair play to Charlton, they came back at us in the second half. Holmes looked the pain in arse he is every time he plays against us. When they pulled one back I thought "here we go again". But, fair play Blues. They dug in and didn't really give Charlton any opportunity to sneak a point. The third goal, nice finish Cox, put the game to bed and Fortune should really have had a fourth very late.

A very satisfying three points against a team who've so often taken points here.

Positives (and there are many)

Cox scored two goals. Two poacher's goals. He didn't spend his time tracking back to the get the ball. The way we set about the job today allowed him to do what he is paid for.

Ranger. Don't understand some of the low marks here. Best game he has had for us this season. Won most of the headers he was involved in, held the ball up superbly and they really struggled with him. When Nile comes to the party, we are a much better team.

Coker. Just makes the defence complete. Offers an attacking option.

Ferdinand. Has come in for some stick - and rightly so - this season. Today, he looked like the bloke who wore that shirt last year.

Charlton Athletic. If they are play off contenders. So are we.

Negatives

That pitch is dreadful.

And dya know, if the state of the pitch is the only negative. Its been a GREAT day.

Sort of not surprised by today. Firstly our home form is fantastic and up there with the best. Not the first time PB has come under pressure and the team performed. But, why oh why can we not produce away from home. Huge game against a very good Shrewsbury coming up and then away games against Wombles and Northampton both of whom are bottom 4. These next three might well set the tone be for the remainder of the season.

as for today, defence and oxley solid
midfield worked hard
upfront, collectively the best Cox and ranger have played this season

as predicted Charlton are a very one man team, everything goes through Homles, stop him u stop Charlton

a great three pointscabd a great Boxing Day

MATCH REPORT :

Thought we were excellent the first 25 minutes. As others have said, right on our game, winning every second ball, putting the man in possession under pressure and creating chances.

Excellent work by Coker and Macca created the first opening and Ranger did well when the ball was played back in for Coxy to fire comfortably home. Great start and Charlton were all at sixes and sevens.

Then the second. Top delivery from the right set-piece taker and Turner rises to head home. Felt, as soon as I saw him, that he would give us goals or goal chances from set-pieces and so it proved.

After this, as 'JTSB' says and others too, we took our foot off the gas. I think it's our way of trying to game manage, but we aren't great at it and do invite pressure.

Lenny got three really high quality tackles in to thwart Ricky Holmes, who was starting to have an influence and the Ox pulled off a good save, but I did fancy we might get a third, so felt we were still a threat going forward.

As the half wore on and indeed for most of the second half, Demi wasn't able to make his marauding runs forward, like he does, due to the Holmes issue and Josh Wright wasn't having the impact going forward, either, but on the left, Cokes and Macca were combining well and Coxy was linking play up like we know he can. Ranger was being a nuisance, too.

I was in the South Upper and watched Ferdy and Turner closely in the first half and they really do work well as a pairing.

Second half, we lost our way a bit and the goal was a bit inevitable, though it was a good finish.

At that point, we were being over-run a bit down our right, so when JW came on to give extra protection and Demi moved wider and slightly further up, I felt that worked a lot better. McG for Macca was the right call, for me and it was he and Coxy who combined superbly to create the 3rd for us from Josh Wright's excellent header back into the danger zone. Great finish from Coxy.

That kind of knocked the stuffing out of Charlton and we held on comfortably.

Good to see the players being applauded off and appreciating it from everyone there.

Really good win, that!

RATINGS :

Oxley 7.5 - Steady game and pulled off a couple of good saves. His kicking really is a bonus for us, as well.

Demetriou 7 - Had a tough game and did get caught the wrong side a couple of times, but that wasn't an easy game for him.

Ferdinand 7.5 - Commanding and organized as we know he can be. Just seemed really up for the game and it showed.

Turner 7.5 - Always quick to get in front of MaGennis and get a header or foot in and defended well. Capped with a fine goal.

Coker 7.5 - Yep, slowly getting back to his best. Linked up well with Macca.

Wright 6.5 - Didn't really do enough for me. Needed to be Demi's double up cover on Holmes, but often felt he wasn't quite there. Did OK, but kind of drifted out of the game when we didn't have the ball.

Leonard 9 MOM - Easily the best out there. Those first half tackles alone, plus a couple of driving runs and always available. Ran the centre midfield.

Wordsworth 6.5 - Did OK, but not as influential as he can be. Plays a lot better when he is driving forward with the ball.

McLaughlin 7 - Good first half, but faded when we came under the cosh a bit and was substitiued at the right moment, for me.

Cox 8.5 - Quaility, as ever. Two good goals, tireless running and skillful thinking and movement.

Ranger 7 - Marked him up for commitment, but I watched him closely in the second half and you can tell why he doesn't score goals. He is always reacting to everything. Waits for a ball to be played and then runs the channel to get it. Has zero confidence going forward on the ball. Looks almost like it's the last thing he wants. He just hasn't got a goalscorers instinct. Never seems to run into an area where he might get on the end of something. Seems on his heels, waiting for something to happen and give him a chance. As Andy Gray used to say. You need to "gamble" in the penalty box.

SUBS :

McGlashan 7.5 - Made a difference and did really well for the goal.

White 7 - Solid and shored up the defence when he appeared.

Fortune 7 - So much more awareness than Ranger, but fluffed his lines with that chance at the end.

REFEREE :

Did OK, overall. Not great, but didn't cause too many problems.

OVERALL :

That is pretty much our best side. Kightly for Wright and Fortune for Ranger, for me. If we can keep that spirit together and play that system, we'll be fine.

My lad had the honour of being a ball boy and had a suprb day out, gleaming from ear to ear. He did mention Karl Robinson was ripping his Charlton a new one at half time. Really pleased to see the team dominate in spells. With these experienced players they need to do that, but you have to get the goals first to turn on the style. So it was pleasing to finally see us put a team like Charlton to the sword. It does make you wonder where have these underperforming players been this season, BUT i have noted we have been on top for quite a few games this season but not stuck it in the onion net and go on to dominate. There's a very good team in there, but they cant do it every week at the moment. Must be the Shrimperzone Brown in/out poll we run, they always start winning it seems after one of those (Brown made me eat my words last year). Defence looked solid apart from Demi who just didnt like to get tight to his striker and gave him far too much room. Wordsworth was another let down for me. He has to go to the ball, putting in half a shift and i dont care when Brown says he runs miles in a game, he has to shut the ball down when we havent got it. Just has to. Want to see Ranger shoot more. Cox was floating on air and quite willing to shut the ball around their defence, his tail was up and a joy to see. Stephen Mac was on fire in front of the West in the first half, twisting and turning, creating all sorts of problems for Charlton. I'd just like to see him cut in and shoot at times, but it was great to find Stephen quite willing to nick the ball off them instead of shy away like he does a lot. He had a great game. Largely, they all had a great game. My boy said there was a lot of cheering from the home dressing room at the end. Good old Southend. I'll still believe.

On the pitch condition, at the end I walked down from the South Upper behind the goal, so I shuffled out along the front of the South Lower and so was at pitch level as I left the ground

Seriously, what a mess. It looked like they'd just completed a round at Hickstead or the Badminton Horse Trials.

Huge divots and way too many players lost their footing at key moments in the game.

Really has to be sorted for next season, regardless of the cost!

MATCH REPORT :

Thought we were excellent the first 25 minutes. As others have said, right on our game, winning every second ball, putting the man in possession under pressure and creating chances.

Excellent work by Coker and Macca created the first opening and Ranger did well when the ball was played back in for Coxy to fire comfortably home. Great start and Charlton were all at sixes and sevens.

Then the second. Top delivery from the right set-piece taker and Turner rises to head home. Felt, as soon as I saw him, that he would give us goals or goal chances from set-pieces and so it proved.

After this, as 'JTSB' says and others too, we took our foot off the gas. I think it's our way of trying to game manage, but we aren't great at it and do invite pressure.

Lenny got three really high quality tackles in to thwart Ricky Holmes, who was starting to have an influence and the Ox pulled off a good save, but I did fancy we might get a third, so felt we were still a threat going forward.

As the half wore on and indeed for most of the second half, Demi wasn't able to make his marauding runs forward, like he does, due to the Holmes issue and Josh Wright wasn't having the impact going forward, either, but on the left, Cokes and Macca were combining well and Coxy was linking play up like we know he can. Ranger was being a nuisance, too.

I was in the South Upper and watched Ferdy and Turner closely in the first half and they really do work well as a pairing.

Second half, we lost our way a bit and the goal was a bit inevitable, though it was a good finish.

At that point, we were being over-run a bit down our right, so when JW came on to give extra protection and Demi moved wider and slightly further up, I felt that worked a lot better. McG for Macca was the right call, for me and it was he and Coxy who combined superbly to create the 3rd for us from Josh Wright's excellent header back into the danger zone. Great finish from Coxy.

That kind of knocked the stuffing out of Charlton and we held on comfortably.

Good to see the players being applauded off and appreciating it from everyone there.

Really good win, that!

RATINGS :

Oxley 7.5 - Steady game and pulled off a couple of good saves. His kicking really is a bonus for us, as well.

Demetriou 7 - Had a tough game and did get caught the wrong side a couple of times, but that wasn't an easy game for him.

Ferdinand 7.5 - Commanding and organized as we know he can be. Just seemed really up for the game and it showed.

Turner 7.5 - Always quick to get in front of MaGennis and get a header or foot in and defended well. Capped with a fine goal.

Coker 7.5 - Yep, slowly getting back to his best. Linked up well with Macca.

Wright 6.5 - Didn't really do enough for me. Needed to be Demi's double up cover on Holmes, but often felt he wasn't quite there. Did OK, but kind of drifted out of the game when we didn't have the ball.

Leonard 9 MOM - Easily the best out there. Those first half tackles alone, plus a couple of driving runs and always available. Ran the centre midfield.

Wordsworth 6.5 - Did OK, but not as influential as he can be. Plays a lot better when he is driving forward with the ball.

McLaughlin 7 - Good first half, but faded when we came under the cosh a bit and was substitiued at the right moment, for me.

Cox 8.5 - Quaility, as ever. Two good goals, tireless running and skillful thinking and movement.

Ranger 7 - Marked him up for commitment, but I watched him closely in the second half and you can tell why he doesn't score goals. He is always reacting to everything. Waits for a ball to be played and then runs the channel to get it. Has zero confidence going forward on the ball. Looks almost like it's the last thing he wants. He just hasn't got a goalscorers instinct. Never seems to run into an area where he might get on the end of something. Seems on his heels, waiting for something to happen and give him a chance. As Andy Gray used to say. You need to "gamble" in the penalty box.

SUBS :

McGlashan 7.5 - Made a difference and did really well for the goal.

White 7 - Solid and shored up the defence when he appeared.

Fortune 7 - So much more awareness than Ranger, but fluffed his lines with that chance at the end.

REFEREE :

Did OK, overall. Not great, but didn't cause too many problems.

OVERALL :

That is pretty much our best side. Kightly for Wright and Fortune for Ranger, for me. If we can keep that spirit together and play that system, we'll be fine.

Pretty much how I saw it!
Good point on Ox's kicking feel confident with back passes more than I have in a long time.

Charlton had 5 regulars out including both centre halves but totally dominated for the first 25 minutes of the second half. This wouldn't have been the case if Ranger finishes in last minute of first half but that's football, he doesn't mean to miss of course not but he should be finishing chances like that. That said I thought he had a very good game with no protection from a very poor referee, his booking because he was sick and tired of being kicked.
Turner looks like a good player and he needs to stay fit till the end of the season for us to have any chance of making the play offs.
Big test against Shrewsbury coming up who didn't concede away to Wigan, going to have to play better than today.
Final word about the pitch, it's a disgrace and the worst I've ever seen at Roots Hall in over 30 years. Someone could get a career ending injury playing on that cow field.

By the way. We have a lot to be thankful for from the ref. Lenny should have walked in the 2nd half with maybe half hour to play, ref went to pull out the card after Lenny chopping their player down, but declined and gave him a talking to. Very lucky there. Another day and we'd have definetly thrown that game away. We all know how awful we are when down to 10.

By the way. We have a lot to be thankful for from the ref. Lenny should have walked in the 2nd half with maybe half hour to play, ref went to pull out the card after Lenny chopping their player down, but declined and gave him a talking to. Very lucky there. Another day and we'd have definetly thrown that game away. We all know how awful we are when down to 10.

I thought the ref was god awful but that's a fair point.

Watched the Ref talking to Lenny, seemed to me he was saying one more & your off. Should have booked their no.9, always complaining & moaning throughout, with both arms out wide.
But once we scored our 3rd, thought both him & Holmes gave up the battle.

I couldn’t believe how poor they were and in context, given their league position, I think they’re the worst side we’ve played at home this season. I ended up feeling sorry for Holmes as he was their only outlet and he was playing with 10 donkeys. Special shoutout to their number 23 at the back who evidently won a competition to play that game

First 20 minutes we were excellent, really excellent and if we could play that way all the time we’d genuinely be in the top 4. But it’s still the level of inconsistent which I think will see us stutter to a mid table finish

Oxley 6

Demetriou 6
Turner 7
Ferdinand 7
Coker 6

Wright 7
Leonard 8
Wordsworth 5
McLaughlin 6

Ranger 5
Cox 9

99 times out of 100 he would have had a red for that tackle ,he was a very lucky boy BBBL

Back