• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Kevin Maher on his side's recent results

KEVIN Maher insists Southend United will come through their “blip” in form stronger than before.

Blues head to Maidenhead United on Tuesday night sitting above the relegation zone on goal difference having gone four games without a win.

But Maher remains right behind his squad and knows they still have time to work their way back up the standings.

“We have 15 games left which is almost a third of the season,” said the Shrimpers chief.

“I don’t want to harp on about the 10 points but we would be just outside the play-offs with them with a couple of games in hand.

“I do understand exactly where we are in the league but give the players credit because these were the same players who have been unbelievable for the football club.

“Just because we’ve had a little blip it doesn’t mean I don’t believe in them.

“They’ve been brilliant and they will recover.

“What they need is support and they’ll get that from me.

“We’ll come out the other side stronger.”

The Shrimpers have also failed to score in their last four games.

And Maher insists Blues are doing all they can to get back on the score-sheet.

“It’s not for the want of trying,” stressed Maher.

“We look to tweak things but if we weren’t getting shots or chances it would be even more of a problem.

“We’re still getting in the right areas, we’re still getting balls in the box and still getting in the box too.

“We’ve hit the woodwork three times in four games so you’ve got to keep the belief and keep the negativity out.

“We'll make sure we’ll all stick together and keep fighting for the right cause.”

Harry Cardwell, Danny Waldron, Marcus Dackers and Henry Sandat will again be vying for selection in attack tomorrow night.

And Maher has urged his forwards to keep being positive in front of goal.

“We keep practising but we just need something to fall,” said Maher.

“We have to believe and keep being brave in the forward areas and hopefully it will change.”

But Maher is fully aware a lack of confidence could now also be playing a part.

“You can’t just whack someone over the head and give them confidence, it doesn’t work like that,” said Maher.

“I’ve seen loads of stuff these last few days about overcoming doubts and fears but what you do is prepare properly and go into the game ready.

“We believe in how we work and we believe in the players too.”

KEVIN Maher insists Southend United will come through their “blip” in form stronger than before.

Blues head to Maidenhead United on Tuesday night sitting above the relegation zone on goal difference having gone four games without a win.

But Maher remains right behind his squad and knows they still have time to work their way back up the standings.

“We have 15 games left which is almost a third of the season,” said the Shrimpers chief.

“I don’t want to harp on about the 10 points but we would be just outside the play-offs with them with a couple of games in hand.

“I do understand exactly where we are in the league but give the players credit because these were the same players who have been unbelievable for the football club.

“Just because we’ve had a little blip it doesn’t mean I don’t believe in them.

“They’ve been brilliant and they will recover.

“What they need is support and they’ll get that from me.

“We’ll come out the other side stronger.”

The Shrimpers have also failed to score in their last four games.

And Maher insists Blues are doing all they can to get back on the score-sheet.

“It’s not for the want of trying,” stressed Maher.

“We look to tweak things but if we weren’t getting shots or chances it would be even more of a problem.

“We’re still getting in the right areas, we’re still getting balls in the box and still getting in the box too.

“We’ve hit the woodwork three times in four games so you’ve got to keep the belief and keep the negativity out.

“We'll make sure we’ll all stick together and keep fighting for the right cause.”

Harry Cardwell, Danny Waldron, Marcus Dackers and Henry Sandat will again be vying for selection in attack tomorrow night.

And Maher has urged his forwards to keep being positive in front of goal.

“We keep practising but we just need something to fall,” said Maher.

“We have to believe and keep being brave in the forward areas and hopefully it will change.”

But Maher is fully aware a lack of confidence could now also be playing a part.

“You can’t just whack someone over the head and give them confidence, it doesn’t work like that,” said Maher.

“I’ve seen loads of stuff these last few days about overcoming doubts and fears but what you do is prepare properly and go into the game ready.

“We believe in how we work and we believe in the players too.”
100% spot on and we as fans must do the same and get right behind them

Sorry but that says what we are doing is right. Well other teams we play are doing it more right than we are. No change equals no chance. Lessons need to be learned.

Then stop bringing it up at every interview! It’s done, they’ve gone.

You're right mate, of course, but I think we can understand why he's particularly aggrieved about it (especially at the moment). Quoting it is also a way of publicly sticking up for his players, who will be feeling a bit of pressure at the moment in a very different way to all the pressures they've had this season already.

The first part of the sentence you quote acknowledges that its a broken record, to me anyway, but when he's being asked about it / our league position / if we're good enough etc particularly right now the deduction is going to feel particularly galling. He may well even have been directly asked about the 10 points again before he said that, for all we know....

Let's keep everything crossed for a win tomorrow so the team, and our chit-chat, can begin to turn the corner.

I am right behind Kev, and what he does.

But, they mention that we are still getting balls into the box.

Now, I am no football mastermind,

But I would love our centre mids to go steaming into the box, directly at the defenders and take a shot.

A lot of good goals against us have been from the edge or outside of the box.
Let us give it a go,
I do remember Wes scoring a cracker like that, bosh, bang, wallop, goal.

Come on you blues.

I am right behind Kev, and what he does.

But, they mention that we are still getting balls into the box.

Now, I am no football mastermind,

But I would love our centre mids to go steaming into the box, directly at the defenders and take a shot.

A lot of good goals against us have been from the edge or outside of the box.
Let us give it a go,
I do remember Wes scoring a cracker like that, bosh, bang, wallop, goal.

Come on you blues.
Yep, or at the very least mix it up , attack from the mid the right and the left. Not doing so is why we are so predictable.

All teams at all levels get crosses into the box and have shots towards goal or hitting the bar.

There is a difference between these stats and clear scoring chances. We don't create enough clear chances.

The data doesn't lie so the statement is tripe. This has been a problem since the start of his reign.

We have too many defensive players, play a safe formation with a safe mentality, ponderous in style, and have little creativity and pace.

Bridge the only creative player who is on the left and also has to defend.

Our strikers aren't creative players. Good strikers if you create clear chances perhaps.

We will win some I'm sure to the end of the season - we have some good players - but to the points above it is the definition of insanity if you think the same players and same formation are going to make a difference.

This is what I find frustrating as much as I love king kev

When I read that Kev “insists” something, I know it will all be fine!

Either change this defencive mode of play .Move the ball much quicker Keep playing the way we are at present and i fear that we will end up in deep doo doos .If we are not allready .

I really don’t get these comments about us being too defensive….it’s like people don’t actually watch us play.

The way we set up is with the 3 CBs and wing backs. When we are in possession, and particularly at home, the wing backs get so high up the pitch that we have at times had 5 players pushed up onto the opposition’s defensive line. That’s a pretty attacking formation.

Sadly what happens is that the wing backs then draw a marker back with them and it all gets a bit congested up there. Combine that with the loss of confidence and players opting for the simple option / backward or sideways pass it doesn’t make for good viewing at the moment.

Would definitely help if we had a runner from deep and I think there’s been plenty of calls on here for us to sign an attacking midfielder.

I actually think Kev + co are a very modern set of coaches that are deploying tactics seen in some of the top leagues around Europe. Bayer Leverkusen for example, who are running away with the Bundesliga, have full backs that almost act like attacking wingers and get really high up the pitch and have scored plenty of goals each this season.

We are in a worrying situation at the moment but us fans need to show some faith and know that we are trying to do the right thing….I’m sure it will all come good soon enough.

Getting his excuses in early to cover his arse down the line if we do go down. I agree he needs to stop going on about it and start winning games.

Hopefully we will soon get a wining run together otherwise we will be running out of matches also some long away trips to come up north where we don’t always do so well , plus all the teams around us are getting a run together so COYB

Getting his excuses in early to cover his arse down the line if we do go down. I agree he needs to stop going on about it and start winning games.
What is this attitude? Its bizarre - fact is, he is managing this season with a MASSIVE handicap of a point reduction and 75% of the season under a transfer embargo (plus all the other background nonsense).

How is it an excuse?

If you look at our record, until recently we were ranked 2nd best side behind Chesterfield in loads of metrics and without that 10 off, the results he has got us so far this season would put us just outside the playoffs.

What more do you want?

What is this attitude? Its bizarre - fact is, he is managing this season with a MASSIVE handicap of a point reduction and 75% of the season under a transfer embargo (plus all the other background nonsense).

How is it an excuse?

If you look at our record, until recently we were ranked 2nd best side behind Chesterfield in loads of metrics and without that 10 off, the results he has got us so far this season would put us just outside the playoffs.

What more do you want?
It's not an excuse but he and none of the players ever brought it up when were closer to the play offs than relegation.

It's not an excuse but he and none of the players ever brought it up when were closer to the play offs than relegation.
Not sure why you would. It must have been a factor internally "if we had those ten points, we'd be 2nd guys" etc

But now he's being questioned why we are "struggling at the bottom" and reminding people not to forget we are in a false position is valid.

As I say, without those 10, we've still got enough points this season to be sitting 10th right now. 6 off the play offs with 2 games in hand.

Now it "doesnt matter" really because we are not going to get those points back, but think its fair to remind people just because we are 20th, we are not a bad side. We are still a side that 6 months ago, fans were rabidly praising to the high heavens.

Yes, we need to be careful and I'm 100% sure we'll be fine come the end of the season, but cut the guys some slack. We going through a bad spell, happens to every team. Chesterfield were running away with it, but last couple of games;

1708421482634.png
And they are away to Halifax tonight who have won last 3 and heading for playoffs, so not a given Chesterfield will get a result tonight either. Assume they dont, 3 games without a win, would you advocate sacking Paul Cook cos they are in a dip in form?...

Back