• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Absolutely this, why should we fear anyone. I thought Stevenage would be tough on Saturday and we got the game won early. Many in the media think we are fancied to do well this year so why worry about Wimbledon. We have also signed some good players and improved an already good squad. It will be tough tomorrow and as others have said fat boy and tubbs may cause us problems but nothing the likes of Prosser and Bolger can't handle. Bolger has spent all preseason playing for Bolton against good opposition, I doubt these two will worry him.
That made me chuckle...

This talk of two other forwards being tough makes me chuckle.

We have another 44 games in the league against tough opposition - no team comes to Roots Hall to go home empty handed and no team wants to lose at home when we visit.

What we need to get rid of is complacency - this is a tough league to get out of and, as we know too well, every point counts when it comes to getting promotion.

RobB11 said:
Do people still think Akinfenwa is fat or is it a joke!?

Beast Mode.
Akinfenwa is the only opposition player I've ever applauded when he's been subbed off. It was when he was playing for Swansea, and he absolutely battered our CB's for 80 mins (think it was when we lost 2-1, the year before Freddy's game)

Do people still think Akinfenwa is fat or is it a joke!?

Beast Mode.

He's fat like a defensive lineman is fat. Unbelievable strength and surprising pace with it. I wish we'd signed him, he's such a threat and so unique to the lower leagues.

Wiki is probably slightly downplaying things - "Akinfenwa weighs around 16 stone and is noted for his above average strength"

He's fat like a defensive lineman is fat. Unbelievable strength and surprising pace with it. I wish we'd signed him, he's such a threat and so unique to the lower leagues.

Wiki is probably slightly downplaying things - "Akinfenwa weighs around 16 stone and is noted for his above average strength"

I can't believe we may be having this debate again, but how is he not fat? I'm not saying he isn't an effective dangerous player, but there's no denying he could do with losing a couple of stone.

On the topic of fat footballers, who the hell was that Luton defender that looked like a middle aged man?

I can't believe we may be having this debate again, but how is he not fat? I'm not saying he isn't an effective dangerous player, but there's no denying he could do with losing a couple of stone.

On the topic of fat footballers, who the hell was that Luton defender that looked like a middle aged man?

The fat (like a lineman) adds to his weight and his game (which is holding off defenders, playing with his back to goal and being a threat in the air). If he dropped two stone his game would suffer because defenders would find him easier to deal with.

I think McNaulty at Luton will get found out at this level.

So yesterday I forgot we had a game and agreed to come to Oxford for work today. That's good. :facepalm:

The fat (like a lineman) adds to his weight and his game (which is holding off defenders, playing with his back to goal and being a threat in the air). If he dropped two stone his game would suffer because defenders would find him easier to deal with.

I think McNaulty at Luton will get found out at this level.

Akinfenwa would still be 2/3 stone heavier than most players if he lost some timber - he's naturally a massive bloke. It would just make him a little more nimble to go with his sheer power. The fact he has generally been rooted to the lower leagues (where he has always scored a bundle of goals) probably emphasises that fact.

Akinfenwa would still be 2/3 stone heavier than most players if he lost some timber - he's naturally a massive bloke. It would just make him a little more nimble to go with his sheer power. The fact he has generally been rooted to the lower leagues (where he has always scored a bundle of goals) probably emphasises that fact.

I dunno, maybe. I think he's surprisingly quick over a couple of yards, which enables him to get into goal scoring positions. He doesn't need any more pace over longer distances.

Also I'm not sure how much extra pace he'd actually get if he was 14 rather than 16 stone, but the power and presence he'd lose would be substantial.

I think we have to bring in Payne for this game to do a man for man job on Akinfenwa.
It will be a great battle of their upper body strengths.

I dunno, maybe. I think he's surprisingly quick over a couple of yards, which enables him to get into goal scoring positions. He doesn't need any more pace over longer distances.

Also I'm not sure how much extra pace he'd actually get if he was 14 rather than 16 stone, but the power and presence he'd lose would be substantial.

Not a chance he is 16 stone - I'm close to 14 and fairly trim - and the guy dwarfs me by a lot more than 2 stone. He has the physique of a heavy weight boxer... similar to Chisora I'd say. But maybe you're right, he may not gain that much pace. I'd suspect he'd just be a little more agile. we'll never know though :)

I think we have to bring in Payne for this game to do a man for man job on Akinfenwa.
It will be a great battle of their upper body strengths.

Can you imagine :hilarious:

The photographs that I have seen of Akinfenwa show very large (huge) muscles like a body builder across the whole of his upper body - I doubt there is a scrap of fat on the man as it is all muscle, muscle and then more muscle.

Any suggestion that the man is fat is completely wrong - yes, he is large but that is a different matter.

He is definately not Fat! Have you seen him on Soccer AM? He is very big and very muscular!! Would guess he has a very low body fat content!!

The slimmer but still strong and muscular Akinfenwa we played when we won league 1 was a cut above the one now. He would of easily made the Championship if he had not obsessed with the body building.

Back