• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payne was playing as an attacking midfielder rather than a trequartista.

I had that in Croatia once ....... dose of antibiotics sorted it out pronto pronto.

Massive improvement from Prosser, who is a decent player now.

I think that is a more balanced statement than the "best defender the club" mentioned earlier in the thread. For me Prosser is a Division 4 defender ....... nothing more, nothing less. And since we are in Division 4 ......

Bentley , White , Barret , Prosser , Coker , Worral , Lenny , Timlin , Payne , Cassidy , Piggy ................. 3 - 1 to the blues.... Pig , Worral and Payne to score...... UTB!:smile:

Be nice to break a 1000 pre match and then take another few hundred on the day.

844 sold as of last nights club tweet. Expect that to rise today and with walk ups tomorrow maybe push 1200

I think there will be at least a couple of hundred turn up on the day especially as there's no price increase me being one of them !!

Probably not, still think they're a big club don't they

How do you measure the size of a club? Inside leg of the goalie? Width of pitch?

They (Portsmouth) do have the largest crowds at home in the division. For me, that means they (Portsmouth) are the biggest club in the division.

You still get 3 points for a win whether the club is "big", "medium" or "small" so I'm not that bothered as long as we win (and win in a sporting and entertaining way, of course). :thumbsup:

I had that in Croatia once ....... dose of antibiotics sorted it out pronto pronto.

I think that is a more balanced statement than the "best defender the club" mentioned earlier in the thread. For me Prosser is a Division 4 defender ....... nothing more, nothing less. And since we are in Division 4 ......

Should have said best centre-back - Coker is a better player, but Prosser is our best centre back by a long chalk (can't judge Barrett yet of course)

You can’t dismiss 1 up front completely, the problem was that Payne wasn’t playing close enough to the man up top IMO, he was playing as an attacking midfielder rather than a trequartista. I do think with the squad set up as it is that we should stick with 4-4-2 but I don’t see why 4-2-3-1 couldn’t work. I think it’s a popular misconception that 1 up front is negative, it isn’t always the case.
If we play 4-2-3-1 without Corr, then we wont be tempted to launch long balls to the lone striker as much to no avail. Hopefully we will play it along the floor a bit more and I really think Payne will shine in this formation. Not massively against 4-4-2 either though, it's just another idea.

One up front can be effective , and as pointed out , both Chelsea and Arsenal play this way and score plenty.
The problem is not the striker , it is the speed or 'lack of' which the support players get up alongside.
We haven't had too many players from our midfield busting a gut to get into the box this season and I think that is a big part in our problem with goalscoring.

If we play 4-2-3-1 without Corr, then we wont be tempted to launch long balls to the lone striker as much to no avail. Hopefully we will play it along the floor a bit more and I really think Payne will shine in this formation. Not massively against 4-4-2 either though, it's just another idea.

I think 4-4-2 deserves an extended run. I don't think Payne is doing enough to justify us fitting him in at the expense of a striker. Overall I'm not a big fan of 4-4-2, it seems at a higher level it is antiquated, I think the only premiership team that plays it is Hull and that speaks volumes. 4-4-2 just seems to get steamrollered by teams with more men in the midfield at the highest level. We obviously aren't at the highest level and I think 4-4-2 can work in the lower leagues. My preference is to fill the midfield more but you have to play to the strengths of your squad and with the influx of strikers I think 4-4-2 is our best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back