• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spurs in the Southend End

I'll second that. I was in the south lower and I've been supporting Southend for over 20 years now, anybody who wants to call me a p1$$ poor fan just because I go to a game to watch the football not shout abuse at the opposition fans is quite frankly a bit of a tosser.

Thats not the point, the point was the lack of singing not the lack of abuse towards the spurs fans!

Behind me were sat some Spurs fans in the Lower Tier, one of them complete in Spurs ski hat and this particular Julian ****s lookalike took great delight in celebrating the first goal.

Not condoning his actions in any way but for the record there are always 2 sides to a story.

Julian ****s lookalike came along to the game with me (though our tickets were no-where near each other). He lives locally and has put his hand in his pockets enough times over the years to watch a game of football at RH but Tottenham is where he was born, brought up and runs through his veins. He was a STH there for donkeys years before running his own business put paid to all that. From what he told me on the way home complaints were made, he was spoken to by a steward and asked to tone it down and turn his hat inside out (which he did), otherwise he would be ejected.

Should he have got a home ticket ? probably. Could he have ? With great difficulty because of work commitments. His wife queued up for his ticket. Could he have looked after himself ? Well clearly he'd have been outnumbered but he'd have taken a couple down on the way. :guns:

He'll be delighted to have been mentioned on here though. :D

Spot on, sir! This is a tired old chant that needs to be retired pronto because it only serves to DIVIDE our own fans (i.e. between those who stand and those who choose not to) rather than urge them to come together and join as one to support the team. I blame the death of the terrace ...

I blame pre-assigned seating. Let those who get in early and want to sit at the front in silence do so, and those who want to sit/stand (during exciting moments of play - I'm not suggesting people break the law....) at the back and sing do that.

I had a **** day out. **** games (was over inside 15 minutes as a contest), **** performance, **** view and couldn't even relieve the boredom with a bit of singing (unless I wanted to do a solo). The previous week during the Ar$enal-Man Ure game I'd scoffed at 'fans' watching in the pub who applauded as if they were in the ballet or the theatre. 'That's not what real football is about' I boasted to my mates, but our fans on Saturday were no better.

You'll never win such arguement Smiffy. The people on here, are the sit down, clap politely brigade.

And what is wrong with the sitting down politely clapping brigade exactly ? People have paid their £27 just like the rest. They have forked out on beers/grub/programmes/memorabilia just like the rest. They have probably supported the club just as long, if not longer than the rest. Because they don't want to join in every chant, particularly the mindless "Stand up if you love Southend" and "I'd rather be a Pikey than a Jew" does that make them any less a fan?

Post like these really irritate me. You don't have to be a p!ssed up mindless numbskull to be a complete SUFC fanatic. Oh, and you also get a chance to drink in a half decent pub beforehand.

Not condoning his actions in any way but for the record there are always 2 sides to a story.

Julian ****s lookalike came along to the game with me (though our tickets were no-where near each other). He lives locally and has put his hand in his pockets enough times over the years to watch a game of football at RH but Tottenham is where he was born, brought up and runs through his veins. He was a STH there for donkeys years before running his own business put paid to all that. From what he told me on the way home complaints were made, he was spoken to by a steward and asked to tone it down and turn his hat inside out (which he did), otherwise he would be ejected.

Should he have got a home ticket ? probably. Could he have ? With great difficulty because of work commitments. His wife queued up for his ticket. Could he have looked after himself ? Well clearly he'd have been outnumbered but he'd have taken a couple down on the way. :guns:

Congratulations ! How proud you must be that your mate could take a few down with him if he had to, right behind my seven year old son, a stray fist in his face, and game over. It could of kicked off big time, but it did not because that area was a bit of a 'family' stand as stated on this thread.

If he had sat with the people I was surrounded by for the Carling Cup game the outcome would have been completely different for your friend,but that's alright because he would have taken a couple of down with him,maybe my son and me innocently watching the game.

And what is it exactly about your friend that makes him walk in wearing a Spurs hat and celebrates so aggressively? I think he wanted it to kick off.

And through having a few friends who are Spurs regulars,and not all STHs,I know there were a 1001 ways to get tickets in the home areas yesterday,not difficult at all.

So I am pleased for you ORM, not sure if you will ever take your kids to football, but maybe one day you will understand.

I just look back to when we took huge amounts of supporters to FA Cup games at Sheffield Wednesday and Everton. Compare the atmosphere at those games to yesterday and there is a marked difference.

It seems that the intervening years have seen a gentrification of the game as a whole and our support reflects that. Does that mean that the fans who went to Hillsborough and Goodison Park were a bunch of rabid hooligans? Well no, not to my memory. Maybe there was more of a willingness to take an active participation in the game, for the crowd to really try and be the cliched '12th man'.

Nowadays going to a football match is heading more towards like going to see a play, the spectators are happier to sit back and watch the action rather than become a part of it.

Is either way right or wrong? Depends on your point of view of course. I personally found the atmosphere yesterday very dull and sterile and it spoiled the match for me to a certain extent. However I feel I am in a minority - I will just have to live with that, or decide that as a result being a football fan is no longer for me I suppose.

I just look back to when we took huge amounts of supporters to FA Cup games at Sheffield Wednesday and Everton. Compare the atmosphere at those games to yesterday and there is a marked difference.

It seems that the intervening years have seen a gentrification of the game as a whole and our support reflects that. Does that mean that the fans who went to Hillsborough and Goodison Park were a bunch of rabid hooligans? Well no, not to my memory. Maybe there was more of a willingness to take an active participation in the game, for the crowd to really try and be the cliched '12th man'.

Nowadays going to a football match is heading more towards like going to see a play, the spectators are happier to sit back and watch the action rather than become a part of it.

Is either way right or wrong? Depends on your point of view of course. I personally found the atmosphere yesterday very dull and sterile and it spoiled the match for me to a certain extent. However I feel I am in a minority - I will just have to live with that, or decide that as a result being a football fan is no longer for me I suppose.

Spot on mate!

How did you find the atmosphere in the QTR Final ?

Sorry but the atmosphere was bad this time because we essentially lost any chance of a result within 15 minutes.

Yes it would have been nice for the whole crowd to keep on singing and generate a 12th man atmosphere but in the real world its more common for the supporters of the losing side not to make that much noise.

I agree that the game was basically over after 15 minutes which did kill the atmosphere. As for the quarter-final I was in the top tier for that one (bottom yesterday) and I thought the atmosphere was OK nothing special.

Hmm. Can just see someone sitting in the 'shelf' end and being polietely told by a steward to turn his hat inside out can't you..?

Just like all the stewards & police showing no discrimination whatsoever in ejecting Southen fans from Lower Tier (for standing and making aggresive gestures) whilst turning their backs on the Spurs fans continued ability to stand throughout..?

How did you find the atmosphere in the QTR Final ?

Still not on a par with Sheffield Wednesday for example, where even when the game was out of reach we outsang a near to capacity Hillsborough.

Or even at Southampton where we conceded a very quick goal on the way to a clear defeat but still made a lot of noise throughout the game.

Considering we held a Premiership team for almost 120 minutes and were in with a shout of reaching the semi final of a major competition I actually felt the atmosphere for the Carlng Cup game was decidedly average. It was though decidedly worse yesterday, for the exact reasons you give.

Very interesting reading some of these posts mainly because we all obviously have different veiws! Personally, I cant tolerate the "stand up if you....." song because basically I dont want too. If that makes me a prawn sandwich supporter or mamby pamby jump on the southend band wagon season only chav...well tough, because I no, I am not!

Having gone to the carling cup game at W.H.L, it was a cracking atmosphere that night, but it was marred by a drunken idiot behind me constantly berating lewis hunt and saying how anyone thinks Freddie Eastwood is worth £3m is a joke. He was a pr*t, and I told him so, but you get them at most games, it seems part and parcel of supporting southend. When we are not doing so well he's the sort of guy who will renew his season ticket for Dagenham & Redbridge because they are top of the conference.

Judging by some of the posts on here, yesterdays game was totally different atmosphere. Why? probably because we had been there a month or so ago and new what to expect! It seems ( for some reason) to always happen that way. Just like the L.D.V Finals then the playoff at cardiff, it never seemed to emulate the first L.D.V Final.

Southend supporters in general are very tolerant, and "ORMS" friend obviously thought so, so fair play to him but its probably the only fans he could get away with it at, because anywhere else Im sure he would be minus a couple of front teeth!

Judging by some of the posts on here, yesterdays game was totally different atmosphere. Why? probably because we had been there a month or so ago and new what to expect! It seems ( for some reason) to always happen that way. Just like the L.D.V Finals then the playoff at cardiff, it never seemed to emulate the first L.D.V Final.

I thought the play-off final was the best atmosphere out of all three games at Cardiff, mainly because there was more riding on it and also because there was less 'day-trippers' than the LDV games.

Congratulations ! How proud you must be that your mate could take a few down with him if he had to, right behind my seven year old son, a stray fist in his face, and game over. It could of kicked off big time, but it did not because that area was a bit of a 'family' stand as stated on this thread.

If he had sat with the people I was surrounded by for the Carling Cup game the outcome would have been completely different for your friend,but that's alright because he would have taken a couple of down with him,maybe my son and me innocently watching the game.

And what is it exactly about your friend that makes him walk in wearing a Spurs hat and celebrates so aggressively? I think he wanted it to kick off.

And through having a few friends who are Spurs regulars,and not all STHs,I know there were a 1001 ways to get tickets in the home areas yesterday,not difficult at all.

So I am pleased for you ORM, not sure if you will ever take your kids to football, but maybe one day you will understand.

ORM, this thread had slipped to page 2 but can't believe you have been so silent on this one.

ORM, this thread had slipped to page 2 but can't believe you have been so silent on this one.

That's because I stated my case in the original reply - he piped down after being requested to do so so end of story AND I started by commenting that I didn't condone his actions. Next time perhaps people will read properly !

I thought the play-off final was the best atmosphere out of all three games at Cardiff, mainly because there was more riding on it and also because there was less 'day-trippers' than the LDV games.

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed! The 1st LDV was a great experience and the whole day was unforgettable, but the atmosphere at the Play Off final was great - and I don't just mean when we were winning! Possibly also because we were outnumbered 3-1 in terms of fans we felt that the team needed our support more than ever!

Back