• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

leeblue

Members⭐
Just a few days until the real footy starts, just wondering what peeps think our best 11 is, our best formation etc etc
I would like to see us play 4-4-2, my reasoning for this is that harris needs players around him to be effective, if the wide players are not supporting well enough he may as well not be on the pitch. Luggy has been tinkering with the back four of late, against norwich prosser got the nod at LB, phillips has done pretty well at CB too. But with dickinson coming through an hour against canvey and a week of hard training ahead maybe he will start on sat with mohsni returning to CB. If it were my choice this would be the team on sat

Morris
clohessy mohsni phillips barker maybe controversial with this back 4 I cant make mind up tbh

jonson grant kalala hall

dickinson harris

my indecision on the back 4 comes down to the mohsni factor, barker seems to be able to control him to a degree, can phillips do the same alongside him, then there is the fact hat barker is so good at CB. Still I think barker is the best LB we have so why not give the fit again phillips the chance to shine.

Just a few days until the real footy starts, just wondering what peeps think our best 11 is, our best formation etc etc
I would like to see us play 4-4-2, my reasoning for this is that harris needs players around him to be effective, if the wide players are not supporting well enough he may as well not be on the pitch. Luggy has been tinkering with the back four of late, against norwich prosser got the nod at LB, phillips has done pretty well at CB too. But with dickinson coming through an hour against canvey and a week of hard training ahead maybe he will start on sat with mohsni returning to CB. If it were my choice this would be the team on sat

Morris
clohessy mohsni phillips barker maybe controversial with this back 4 I cant make mind up tbh

jonson grant kalala hall

dickinson harris

my indecision on the back 4 comes down to the mohsni factor, barker seems to be able to control him to a degree, can phillips do the same alongside him, then there is the fact hat barker is so good at CB. Still I think barker is the best LB we have so why not give the fit again phillips the chance to shine.

Yep thats pretty much my team aswell , but i have a feeling we will line up as

Morris

Clohessy Moshni Barker Prosser

Grant Ferdinand Kala

Hall Johnson

Harris

With Dickinson and sawyer waiting in the wings

sturrock has pretty much said the dickinson wont play so,

Morris

Clohessey Phillips Barker Prosser

Johnson Grant Kalala Hall

Harris Mohsni

Subs
Bentley Coughlan Sawyer N'Diaye Crawford

Morris

jonson grant kalala hall

dickinson harris

It was interesting in the Norwich game the other night that when Moshni looked like he was about to lose it, it was actually Phillips that went over to him, put his arm round him and gave him a quick word before trotting off back to his defensive position. So maybe it could actually be Phillips alongside him that could keep him under control.

Personally I would go the same defence as yourself. I think you have to go with your best players and our best defence is what you have above (in my view).

I do think though that we may start 4-3-3, with Sawyer, Grant and Kalala in midfield with Harris, Hall and Johnson as a front 3. I think against weaker opposition and especially being at home, we will be able to make the front 3 work better and give Harris the support he needs. If it doesn't work we can change it at half time (which Sturrock isn't afraid to do)

It was interesting in the Norwich game the other night that when Moshni looked like he was about to lose it, it was actually Phillips that went over to him, put his arm round him and gave him a quick word before trotting off back to his defensive position. So maybe it could actually be Phillips alongside him that could keep him under control.

Personally I would go the same defence as yourself. I think you have to go with your best players and our best defence is what you have above (in my view).

I do think though that we may start 4-3-3, with Sawyer, Grant and Kalala in midfield with Harris, Hall and Johnson as a front 3. I think against weaker opposition and especially being at home, we will be able to make the front 3 work better and give Harris the support he needs. If it doesn't work we can change it at half time (which Sturrock isn't afraid to do)

Sturrock deserves a lot of credit for his willingness to change things round, always have a plan b. I do however think sturrock really fancies mohsni up front, a mistake in my opinion and would not be surprised to see him start up top. If its three in midfield I reckon you right with your pick.

Morris
Clohessy Mohsni Barker Gilbert
Johnson Grant Kalala Hall
Harris Crawford

subs: Bentley, Phillips, Ferdinand, Sawyer, Dickinson

I reckon it will be:

Morris

Clohessy Phillips Barker Prosser

Hall Grant Kalala Johnson

Harris Mohsni

Subs: Bentley, Gilbert, Sawyer, Ferdinand, Dickinson

Tricky and i've only seen 3 games - 2 of which were 0-0! I personally like the 4-3-3 but as has been said, it can leave Harris isolated and if the ball doesn't get out to Hall and JJ, then we will struggle. But given our lack of fit strikers, i think this is our best option especially as central midfield is our strongest area.

4-3-3

Morris
Clohessy Phillips Moshni Barker
Grant Kalala Ferdinand
JJ Harris Hall

If we go 4-4-2

Morris
Clohessy Phillips Barker Prosser
JJ Grant Ferdinand Hall
Moshni Harris

Mind you, if Ferdinand goes, as expected, then this could give N'Diaye or Asbo a chance to shine?!

Kev

Morris

Clohessy Mohsni Prosser Barker

Harris Asante/Crawford

Subs: Bentley, Leonard, Ferdinand/N'Diaye (if Kane's not here anymore), Sawyer, Asante/Crawford

I think Sturrock will go for one up front again as Dickinson's not fit but in my opinion, first game of the season at home we should be going for it and why not give one of the youngsters a start with all these injuries. Nothing to lose. Also, it's typical that last season when we had a threadbare squad we were allowed 7 subs but now that we have a squad that, if anything, is too big, they reduce the subs to 5. I'd be tempted to not have a sub keeper on the bench, how often is it that keepers get injured/sent off? I've left Gilbert, Phillips and Coughlan all out of that bench. It'll be even harder to pick when everybody's fit, although obviously a number of players will be leaving.

Morris
Clohessy Barker Phillips Prosser
Harris Mohsni

Mohsni upfront - NO. He is not a striker/forward. Starting with Mohsni upfront is different to throwing him up there during the game. He was effective during the Ipswich game when he switched and without seeing the Norwich game I heard reports he was no good up there. If Sturroch goes 4-4-2 he must play Crawford with Harris wth the intention of using Asante as a sub to change the game or by bringing on another centre half for Crawford and switching Moshni upfront. If its 4-3-3 then Hall and Johnson behind Harris. Harris was in effective upfront on his own against Ipswich who are a solid Championship team, Hereford are a struggling League 2 side. Harris will be much more effective against Hereford

With current playing staff available I reckon Sturrock will go 4-3-3. As stated, Hereford are a different kettle of fish compared to Ipswich and Norwich where Harris was "less effective". Reckon we should be too strong for them. Always have the plan B or putting Mohsni up top.

So many options I can't help but smile...

Assuming everyone is here and Kane and Dickinson are fit.

Morris
Clohessy Mohsni Barker Gilbert
JJ Grant Kane Hall
Harris Dickinson

If Kane isn't fit then Sawyer comes in. If Dickinson isn't fit then Mohsni up front and Phillips comes in.

Have to agree with ayrshire blue these are the players that took no part against canvey so i think that will be the line up.

Morris
Clohssey Barker Phillips Prosser
JJ Grant Kalala Hall
Harris Moshini​

As for subs id go Leonard,Bentley,Asante or Dickenson, Ferdinand and get the youth wide player who is superb Della Verde as wide cover.

Have to agree with ayrshire blue these are the players that took no part against canvey so i think that will be the line up.

Morris
Clohssey Barker Phillips Prosser
JJ Grant Kalala Hall
Harris Moshini​

As for subs id go Leonard,Bentley,Asante or Dickenson, Ferdinand and get the youth wide player who is superb Della Verde as wide cover.

My guess is we'll probably see nothing of Della Verde until January when he signs his pro deal - I'm sure PS and TB have learnt their lesson on that one after nearly losing Ferdinand.

Capelton

Booty
Coleman
Morley
Stimson

Clarke
Livett
Gooding

Burns
Campbell
Roach

Subs : Margetson, Beard, Unger, Fitzpatrick, Newman