• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last death throes or inspired move? Only time will tell but I won't begrudge PB for that. What I will say Phil is that the time for excuses is over. You've got what I would consider to be one of the strongest squads in the division. You've been denied next to nothing, particularly compared to your predecessors. The one target is promotion, auto or play off. Anything less than that and it's goodbye. That was your clear mandate.

Last death throes or inspired move? Only time will tell but I won't begrudge PB for that. What I will say Phil is that the time for excuses is over. You've got what I would consider to be one of the strongest squads in the division. You've been denied next to nothing, particularly compared to your predecessors. The one target is promotion, auto or play off. Anything less than that and it's goodbye. That was your clear mandate.

Probably a fair and accurate summary.

mclaughlin may be a quality player or a crock of ***** - I don't know. My point is that I've seen us squander leads at Places like Burton and Shrewsbury which is the type of behaviour that will probably cost us automatic promotion. From the game I'm watching, the issue isn't a lack of personnel - it's tactics and substitutions and maybe a bit of bottle. Brown can carry on signing people until he's blue in the face, but if he doesn't sort the other out were not going to improve.

I don't know much, and can't offer any better suggestions than have been made, but I am 100% sure that this is not possible...

We started the season poorly in both promotion seasons IIRC.

In terms of results yes, but we were actually playing good football. I remember arguing on here that we're actually playing well, and we just need to give it time...

I notice on another thread that 2011/12 has been voted our best recent season yet the turnover of players without any apparent long term plan was arguably worse that season: N'diaye, Johnson, Daniels, Dailly, Belford, Baldwin, Sampson, Benyon, Flood, Martin, Hills, Eastwood plus a number of barely used players on our books - Coughlan , Sturrock, Sawyer, Crawford, James-Lewis. I think Nesbitt and Asante were still with us too. We had a squad of around 35 at one point in the second half of that season.

If he goes, and we get the wrong guy in next, then we might end up wishing for the tedium of always being in or around the play-offs. A few clubs have got rid of a manager doing ok but not up to fans expectations and then found things got a lot worse afterwards.

I notice on another thread that 2011/12 has been voted our best recent season yet the turnover of players without any apparent long term plan was arguably worse that season: N'diaye, Johnson, Daniels, Dailly, Belford, Baldwin, Sampson, Benyon, Flood, Martin, Hills, Eastwood plus a number of barely used players on our books - Coughlan , Sturrock, Sawyer, Crawford, James-Lewis. I think Nesbitt and Asante were still with us too. We had a squad of around 35 at one point in the second half of that season.

Wasn't that the point at which we tailed off?

If he goes, and we get the wrong guy in next, then we might end up wishing for the tedium of always being in or around the play-offs. A few clubs have got rid of a manager doing ok but not up to fans expectations and then found things got a lot worse afterwards.

If you can't even dream what's the point of football?

It's certainly not for the entertainment this season.

Wasn't that the point at which we tailed off?

I remember that season as more of a rollercoaster than a tailing off! Regarding loans, I think since the transfer window was introduced there has been a move to more short term planning by many managers.

If you can't even dream what's the point of football?

It's certainly not for the entertainment this season.

Perhaps I've had my dreams crushed too many times. I just hope that, unlike both Sturrock and Brown, our next manager is someone all Southend fans can unite behind from the start.

Back