• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well I never another blank !

Phil is utterly hopeless,Williams never even started and never come on for Cox.

Feel sorry for our fans who travelled.

I'm sure they were told to go out and not get injured. Fair play to the 185 but if they expected us to be competitive they were naive.

Not sure how PB can be called hopeless for treating a glorified friendly as a glorified friendly, the aim tonight will have been to just see if any players knocking on the door are worth playing, based off the result the answer is no.

Not sure how PB can be called hopeless for treating a glorified friendly as a glorified friendly, the aim tonight will have been to just see if any players knocking on the door are worth playing, based off the result the answer is no.

Williams should have played in this meaningless game,just to see if over 90 he had it in him,Brown failed.

He was hopeless in your eyes before he won promotion and before he kept us up the season after. Ive followed this team for many years and whilst a few managers have bettered his achievements, most haven't come close.

Williams should have played in this meaningless game,just to see if over 90 he had it in him,Brown failed.
We were limited in the changes we could make. PB prioritised preparing players who will be needed for Saturday due to recent injuries and international call ups and youngsters who have actually shown potential (Kyprianou, Bridge, Smith) over Williams which is fine. He didn't fail anything.

This thread makes me chuckle, we always knew over a month ago, we were through to the next round, before the ball was even kicked for the 1st time tonight.

Pre-Thread chat, lots of people on here were basically wishing Phil would put out an experimental team, to give them some experience, game time, fitness etc... He did that.

What we learnt... (well it was actually nothing... of which we already knew)... despite having a 30 man squad, we really only have a core of about half that amount, that could compete at league 1 or 2 level.

Come January, I hope the club reduces the wage bill by getting rid of the "dead wood" by selling or loaning players out. and taking risks where needed with some fresh blood. That being said though, our scouts seem to have much luck as i do picking the national lottery numbers!

# notawinnerinyears!

We were limited in the changes we could make. PB prioritised preparing players who will be needed for Saturday due to recent injuries and international call ups and youngsters who have actually shown potential (Kyprianou, Bridge, Smith) over Williams which is fine. He didn't fail anything.

When he took Cox off then Williams should have been tried,he is after all a contracted Southend player who Phil deemed worth another contract,yet he doesn't get pitch time,we lose 4 zip and Browny is none the wiser.

When he took Cox off then Williams should have been tried,he is after all a contracted Southend player who Phil deemed worth another contract,yet he doesn't get pitch time,we lose 4 zip and Browny is none the wiser.
Why? Bridge has much more potential so surely it's better to give him the minutes than Williams.

You keep saying that Williams should be starting games because he has a contract which is ridiculous. Apart from King the whole squad have contracts so what makes Williams' contract so special that he must start games? His wages will be minimal so we haven't exactly wasted much money in keeping him on an extra year.

OK, yes I know I said I'd get this information last night but Babbage had sent me off to sleep and next thing I know, I'm having a dream that we are losing 4-0! :omg:

Anyway, my team of researchers* have been sifting through the wreckage and come up with who we are likely to play in the next round, so here they are :-

1) Swansea City U21
2) Oxford United
3) MK Dons
4) Luton Town
5) Reading U21 or Yeovil Town (Playing each other tonight. We'll play the losers. If it's a draw then it'll be Yeovil Town)
6) Coventry City or Wycombe Wanderers (Playing each other tonight. We'll play the losers. If it's a draw, we'll play the team that loses the penalty shoot out)
7) Crawley Town or Southampton U21 (Playing each other tonight. We'll play the losers. If it's a draw It'll be Southampton U21)
8) Brighton & Hove Albion U21 (I assume we can't play them, as they were in our group, but not sure on that)

So, a chance we could play an Under 21 side at home.

Free tickets for all those who went last night! :thumbsup:

*David Icke and 5scoops (Yes, I was shocked too)

Other nuggets of jollity from last night :-

Chelsea U21 won a 34 penalty shoot out against Oxford United and, naturally, Oxford United qualified and Chelsea U21 didn't.

... Best of all. Col Ewe won a penalty shoot out against Charlton Athletic when neither team could have qualified anyway! :smile:

Why? Bridge has much more potential so surely it's better to give him the minutes than Williams.

You keep saying that Williams should be starting games because he has a contract which is ridiculous. Apart from King the whole squad have contracts so what makes Williams' contract so special that he must start games? His wages will be minimal so we haven't exactly wasted much money in keeping him on an extra year.

Bridge is a midfielder whilst Williams is an out and out forward ,I'm just saying we have forwards who rarely score so any gaffer will shuffle the pack especially in such a pointless fixture,Williams must now understand it's all over for him here,feel sorry for the guy and his chance here has been very limited.

Diehard is a bit of a stretch, it's only an hour away.

Assuming you live in Southend. I rode up from Brighton in freezing cold, sleet and rain to watch a completely dis-interested set of players put in less effort than for a development squad pre-season friendly.

A guess there's a very thin line between diehard and very foolish!

I'm sure they were told to go out and not get injured. Fair play to the 185 but if they expected us to be competitive they were naive.

I didn't expect the same blood and guts performance from the play-off semi, but I expected the fringe players to put in a shift and show PB that they should be considered for the first team. Didn't happen I'm afraid; King, White, AB (sadly), Bridge, Kyprianou, and Ted Smith all showed why they don't get picked.

Back