• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Striker in The Sun

Apart from the obvious attraction of Page 3, the only reason I look at the Sun is to see the latest adventures of Nick Jarvis and Warbury Warriors, however it seems to have disappeared recently. Any ideas what has happened to it?

Funnily enough H, we were talking about this at work only yesterday. One of the lads found an explanation on the Wiki page:

Striker no more

In the last strip, the chairman was trying to get Nick Jarvis to take over at Newcastle (under Lyme) Town, but there is no sign otherwise that is was about to end.

Still, there's always George and Lynne.

SNF28GEORGE_461272a.gif

according to Wikipedia its been cancelled and the last strip was run on Friday.

You mean the only team in History to win the Champions League and then fail to find a buyer?

George and Lynne must be about 70 now, but she is still fit as ever and George's razor sharp quiff shows no sign of drooping

I remember when Nick was kidnapped during Mexico '86 and the kidnappers threatened to chop his foot off with an axe unless their demands were met.

gutted, absolutley gutted! I feel a need to write to the sun!

Very disappointed, though it was always going to end in tears, interracial relationships never work out and the non marriage of Nick Jarvis to Li Ming confirmed this.

Thouhgt it would have been nice to see Nick manage Newcastle Town along with Eric. Scrapper also had an offer on the land he bought off Fabian, what was happening there....so many loose ends.

I sent an email to the writers of Striker and this is their response:

Dear reader,

Thank you for your email enquiring about Striker’s absence. I have received hundreds of them and they are still arriving so I hope you will forgive me for not replying to each one personally. I have been warmed by so many kind comments and somewhat surprised by the strength of feelings expressed.

Last September I gave a year’s notice to The Sun that I felt the time was approaching to end Striker as it was becoming increasingly difficult to create fresh storylines for the characters and I did not want to run the risk of it becoming stale. There was always the possibility of re-launching it in the future and to this end I offered to create a replacement strip for The Sun or rerun earlier adventures showing how Warbury Warriors were formed when Nick and Eric first got together. Sadly, The Sun did not wish to discuss this possibility.

I ended the strip with a scenario that both wrapped up the storyline and kept open the possibility of resurrecting it at a later date. I had no idea The Sun would leave their readers in the dark by failing to announce the strip was ending.

For a long time now I have wanted to publish the entire Striker archive as a series of books and develop it into a movie or TV series. I shall now have the time to explore those possibilities and will keep you informed of any developments. In the meanwhile, I shall shortly be updating our website at www.striker3d.net where you can read some of the earlier Striker adventures free online.

With best wishes and thanks for your support,

Pete Nash

Recieved an email this morning:

Dear Striker fan,

Back in October, after The Sun allowed Striker to end without any announcement to their readers, I explained that I had wanted to finish the daily newspaper strip to give me time to develop Striker as an animated TV series or film. It just wasn't possible to come up with fresh ideas every day while trying to create a film and TV script at the same time. Pending a possible re-launch in the future, I had offered to rerun earlier Striker stories, but as you know, The Sun chose to go their own way.

I am now delighted to give you news of three exciting developments - firstly Striker will be re-launched next week in Nuts, Britain's biggest-selling weekly men's lifestyle magazine. It will have its own page and the story will enter a new era from where it ended in The Sun. The weekly format rather than daily means fans can still get their fix of Eric and the gang while I will have the time to develop the TV and film projects. For those of you who aren't familiar with Nuts, it's a lively magazine packed with girls, cars, TV, fun and football and will make an ideal home for the Warriors. Having said that, I accept that Striker in Nuts may not go down well with some of our older readers and female fans.

Secondly, significant progress is being made with plans to turn Striker into an animated TV series. I am hoping that this will also be a springboard to develop other TV and film concepts that are in the pipeline.

Finally, the Striker website, striker3d.net, will be undergoing a total re-launch in February. However, I must disappoint those of you who would prefer to follow Striker online as it will not be possible to show the new strips on the website. However, by the end of the year I really hope we will have the first of the Striker books on sale, both online and in the shops.

Thanks to all of you for your patience - exciting times ahead!

Best wishes

Pete Nash

Back