• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC CENTENARY

Shrimperstrust

Supporting SUFC
SUFC & The Trust are in the early stages of planning the Football Clubs Centenary Celebrations.

What events would you like to see?

Would it be a Centenary Ball, a Football Match against Top Opposition, Centenary Concert, Golf Day, Auction.

We would like your ideas on how the Club should Celebrate it's Centenary Season.

Email your suggestions to: sufc100@blueyonder.co.uk

For the match against top opposition I think (if the real real top teams failed) then Norwich would be a good idea as they were the first competitive match at Roots Hall.

SUFC -vs- SZFC

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimperstrust @ Sep. 07 2004,09:51)]SUFC & The Trust are in the early stages of planning the Football Clubs Centenary Celebrations.

What events would you like to see?

Would it be a Centenary Ball, a Football Match against Top Opposition, Centenary Concert, Golf Day, Auction.

We would like your ideas on how the Club should Celebrate it's Centenary Season.

Email your suggestions to: sufc100@blueyonder.co.uk
Like the idea of a SUSCT Golf Day....
smile.gif

How about a golf day on the friday, then on saturday have sufc-v-Norwich city and have the teams play in the retro kits from the first game.This would then leave a door open for an auction of the shirts, to raise money to bring me over for the golf tournament.

Surely a match should be played against our first opponents in the Southern League Second Division back in 1906 - 100 years ago; Norwich City were our first opponents at Roots Hall.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 09 2004,17:16)]Surely a match should be played against our first opponents in the Southern League Second Division back in 1906 - 100 years ago; Norwich City were our first opponents at Roots Hall.

WS
Next season should see a pre-season friendly at Roots Hall against the Canaries to celebrate 50 years at the ground - I believe the club have been in contact with NCFC.

As for the centenary match, many amongst our number want Swindon Town (dropping the 'Reserves') as the celebratory match, but as out inaugural meeting on Monday concluded, this would not be a big draw for the crowds. It's a case of purism against finances.

I would suggest that, seeing as Olympique Marseille (sic) and FC Berlin were among our first opponents, a match against either of those two sides would be quite a draw. After all, if Exeter City can attract Brazil .....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Sep. 09 2004,19:43)]I would suggest that, seeing as Olympique Marseille (sic) and FC Berlin were among our first opponents, a match against either of those two sides would be quite a draw.  After all, if Exeter City can attract Brazil .....
Sounds a great idea to me....
rock.gif

Maybe a legends wall, a wall at FF where every player to have played for the club is put onto a wall ?

Id like to see a special shirt though, perhaps as close to the first ever shirt as poss.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 12 2004,00:07)]Id like to see a special shirt though, perhaps as close to the first ever shirt as poss.
...which presumably was the hide from a grazing ox or some other neanderthal garment?
sorry!...I'll get me ...shirt

--
Hows a bout an evening meal with Alison crooning a few melodies and Mr Alderton cracking a few jokes and a few old players reminiscing for us?
A Southend Themed night no less.

...oh and a healthy supply of fine wines and real ales.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Oct. 12 2004,16:39)]Hows a bout an evening meal with Alison crooning a few melodies and Mr Alderton cracking a few jokes and a few old players reminiscing for us?
A Southend Themed night no less.

=
Would be nice to see Alison at the club !

A shirt is a good idea, if not the whole shirt surely they could just put something under/beside the badge that says 'Southend United, centenary season' or something like that ? We did it in the 1999,2000 season which said 'Millenium season' over the badge!

Either a one-off Centenary shirt, or as Dan said some sort of writing around the badge of that seasons shirt.

and I think an SUFC first team vs SZFC game should be compulsory

How about, to gain publicity for the centenary season, we sign half-rate comedians and pretend we're going to play them in goal?

How about for the whole season all the fans stop slating the club at every little thing they do, and start being more positive

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Oct. 13 2004,10:38)]How about for the whole season all the fans stop slating the club at every little thing they do, and start being more positive
Rubbish idea.

I agree on having a shirt that's as close in design to the original kit as possible. Any pictures available of what we wore in the first season? And yes, before any smart arse says it I do know the photo would be in black and white.....

Also, how about a Masters style 5-aside tournament? A Southend old boys team against a few other local clubs former players. It could be held at Roots Hall, just mark a smaller pitch out in the middle.

Back