• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He's had a couple of dodgy games, that doesn't mean his heart is no longer in it. On Boxing Day we probably would have been at least 2 goals down at half time if it wasn't for him.

No against a decent side with half decent strikers we would have been at least two down, its obvious to me not going to QPR has affected his game but thats a matter of opinion I suppose i still rate the guy highly.

Anyone who thinks Dan Bentley,s heart is not in it was clearly not at col ewe.some people have got very short memories

...and Championship football next season?

Although Sunderland always appear to be flirting with relegation, they are a massive club in terms of support and history. I don't think that this rumour has legs, but if he did go there he could do far worse, especially if the fans warmed to him.

Heart not in it ? Why do people come up with these wild accusations ? He's playing in a higher Division than he was last season, as well as some of the defenders in front of him. Give the young lad a break !

I would sell him and probably take £1.25M. He has been a different keeper this season (worse) and his heart is clearly not in it after us blocking his QPR move last year. Ted Smith is a great keeper with a fantastic future and has a good understudy even at 20 years old so now would be the time for me to sell. I like Bentley he has been superb for us over the years but its right for him and the club to sell now before we get next to nothing for him at the end of the season.

By waiting to the end of the season we will probably get more money long term with higher sell-on clauses etc.

Be amazed if he played with Mannone and Pantillon ahead of him.

And they've just recalled a keeper from a loan spell at Preston due to his performances in the championship

No against a decent side with half decent strikers we would have been at least two down, its obvious to me not going to QPR has affected his game but thats a matter of opinion I suppose i still rate the guy highly.

Haven't you kind of proved your own point wrong. Isnt he playing against better strikers this season in a higher league?

If anything the saves against Colchester showed his heart is in it more than any world class save diving across the goal. He put his body on the line with his head where the strikers feet were.

Why would his heart not be in it anyway. Surely the better he plays the more chance of a move to a better club.

Haven't you kind of proved your own point wrong. Isnt he playing against better strikers this season in a higher league?

If anything the saves against Colchester showed his heart is in it more than any world class save diving across the goal. He put his body on the line with his head where the strikers feet were.

Please explain how I have "proved my own point wrong"?. I merely said his heart doesn't seem to be in it like before as well as the Colchester strikers being poor and their team as a whole. I don't think he wants to be at Southend anymore and wanted to go to QPR which was blocked, this clearly made him a bit unhappy due to the fact he had been a good keeper for us over the years and perhaps deserved his break.

We have an England under 20 keeper who can step into his shoes, with the money from Bentley we can perhaps buy a decent striker and another player simple. Your point about playing well and getting a chance to move to a better club, well he did just that and his opportunity was not taken up by the club was it?.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOW quick people jump into Bentley because 7 goals go past him in 2 games, perhaps its because the 10 players in front off him didnt have their hearts into it ,how many of them goals was he at fault with.Seems to me that some of the players just arent up to league one and maybe have been playing above themselves,if so sooner or later its going to show and i think it has.PB and RM really need to get into the January transfer window if they serious about mounting a challenge for promotion. Yes sell Bentley if they can use the money for new players

Now that Sunderland have recalled highly rated Jordan Pickford and them having another 3 1st choice goalkeepers on their books (before looking into their youths)
This rumour is dead in the water surely.

I highly doubt that they would be looking to splash the cash on yet another keeper, especially when it is widely reported (on sky news sports anyway) that they are looking to shore up their defence, and other positions to make premier league survival possible.
Most likely is Bayern Munich defender & ex Germany u21 player Jan Kirchhoff, Joel Matip defender at Shalke & Cameroon international, as well as Andros Townsend from Spurs and england international of course.

Anyway hey ho.. what do we know... thats the beauty of the transfer window, i guess... knowing our luck Barry Corr and Joe Pigott will end up sharing the golden boot in the Premier League!!... At least it will make an interesting 138 page thread enititled "what if" on our beloved zone! :smile:

UTB

Just seen that Rob Green looks set to leave QPR this month, ideal opportunity for Bentely to go QPR in all honesty.

Dan deserves his chance at a higher level.

Has his form dipped,maybe but remember it appeared the club stopped any move for whatever reason.

Dan deserves his chance at a higher level.

Has his form dipped,maybe but remember it appeared the club stopped any move for whatever reason.

Because he's under contract? Yeah, how dare we! :facepalm:

Because he's under contract? Yeah, how dare we! :facepalm:

Cash strapped FC turn down bids for their player preferring to allow the player's contract to conclude when the player can walk for virtually nothing apart from potential tribunal fee.

Just seen that Rob Green looks set to leave QPR this month, ideal opportunity for Bentely to go QPR in all honesty.
True, although they did sign Smithies in the summer so you'd assume he'd step up. Not sure of his situation and of course it's possible that Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink doesn't fancy Smithies as first choice.

Cash strapped FC turn down bids for their player preferring to allow the player's contract to conclude when the player can walk for virtually nothing apart from potential tribunal fee.

Show's how little you know. Ron Martin isn't stupid despite what some people think of him

We received an official bid in the summer of £1.25m from QPR and because of DB's age if it goes to a tribunal he will not go for less than £1.25m as long as he doesn't move abroad.

Show's how little you know. Ron Martin isn't stupid despite what some people think of him

We received an official bid in the summer of £1.25m from QPR and because of DB's age if it goes to a tribunal he will not go for less than £1.25m as long as he doesn't move abroad.

Nothing will be guaranteed at the tribunal,they will look at his playing career and potential and any bids tabled,if QPR actually bid your figure then I agree with you that Ron will receive a nice payment.

It might be a Guardian link, but this is very interesting:

The Guardian

The interesting parts for me are that:

a) Any contract offered by us is taken into consideration, so even if DB doesn't sign one it is is worth us making a very good offer, which we have done, apparently.
b) Career so far is taken into account.
c) The contract given by the buying club is taken into consideration.
d) Any other interest is taken into account. Unfortunately the article doesn't state if this is current interest or previous interest.

The most likely outcome is an upfront payment and money after an incremental number of appearances, caps etc.

If the interest is true then that just suggests that the black cats are stocking up on players ready for the championship.

On the QPR front, Jimmy Floyd always spoke highly of Bentley when at Burton. He may want him but as others have said Smithies is a better keeper at this moment in time.

If the interest is true then that just suggests that the black cats are stocking up on players ready for the championship.

On the QPR front, Jimmy Floyd always spoke highly of Bentley when at Burton. He may want him but as others have said Smithies is a better keeper at this moment in time.

That's a matter of opinion. Smithies is probably a bit "ring rusty" given that he's been on the bench since he moved.

Back