• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worrying thing is how are the youngsters going to get league experience? Cup games are one thing....

Worrying thing is how are the youngsters going to get league experience? Cup games are one thing....

By taking their chances when they come and proving they can offer more than the older established players. Bentley did this when Paul Smith was injured. Ted Smith did ok last year when Oxley was injured or out of form but hardly yelled pick me.

Harry Kyprianou has taken his chance and is keeping fit again John White out of the team.

Elvis has another chance to impress this weekend and I am sure both he and Yearwood will feature in league games this year.

This is the first year for a number of seasons (under both Sturrock and Brown) that we have not got any loanees so there is clearly a desire to promote the youth.

I really don't get where this fixation about the age of our squad comes from. Surely if a player is good enough to play league one football, then it doesn't matter about age.

We all know PB is a fan of the more experienced player and every season he's improved our league position, by introducing them to the squad. He's done the same thing at most clubs he's managed. He must be doing something right.......

Also, the younger guys gain experience by having the older guys around them. Don't forget, the younger guys are playing as well which is great for the club.

I personally can't name one of the older guys who isn't at least a league one player and doesn't warrant playing at this level.

We have a good mix, some youngsters, some in their prime, and some older - 'tis a good blend.

I really don't get where this fixation about the age of our squad comes from. Surely if a player is good enough to play league one football, then it doesn't matter about age.

We all know PB is a fan of the more experienced player and every season he's improved our league position, by introducing them to the squad. He's done the same thing at most clubs he's managed. He must be doing something right.......

Also, the younger guys gain experience by having the older guys around them. Don't forget, the younger guys are playing as well which is great for the club.

I personally can't name one of the older guys who isn't at least a league one player and doesn't warrant playing at this level.

I agree with the above, and believe we have a good balance. We have some good older players, who are maybe past their prime - however still offer a lot to the team and the younger prospects coming through our excellent youth set up. And let's also be realistic if the older players were still in their prime they wouldn't be playing for us in league 1 !!

Two of our younger guys have been playing regally at the back and are playing again today. As OBL said, it's a good balance :thumbsup:

We have a good mix, some youngsters, some in their prime, and some older - 'tis a good blend.

We really don't have a good balance and are incredibly top heavy as the diagram shows only too clearly.

Whilst rates of improvement and decline vary, generally young players improve faster and old players decline quicker (see Ferdinand, Anton). This means whilst our rivals are all improving quicker than us, whilst we decline faster. Our model is therefore the least sustainable in the division.

We might not be able to fully see this now, but we'll certainly feel the consequences of our short-term approach in a few years' time.

Back