• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Team to play Forest

CC51DAS

President
Methinks Tilly has a few tricky decisions to make for Tuesday. Doubt he will tinker with the defence but feel on a big pitch in front of a large crowd it may be best to leave the Moose on the bench and find a place for Captain Kev .But then Francis on the right of midfield could strenghten things up a bit and he always seems to do well with the overlaps when there is a bit of space .

So could we go 4-5-1? If so we will need Kev's pinpoint passes for Leon C to run on to and the ball played to his feet. Maybe Maher could play in front of Clarke and Barratt .How about ?

----------Collis
Hunt Clarke Barratt Hammell
---------Maher------------
Francis Bailey Macca Gower
---------Clarke-----------

If he sticks or switches to 4-4-2 , then Harry has to get the nod over Hooper - until he came on at Northampton we hardly won a ball in the air all afternoon up front , so lets get behind him if he plays.

Cant leave Hunt on his own protecting the right flank, Commons will skin him alive... Either Black features or Francis comes in for the Moose as Franck is no right winger.

Only other change i'd make would be to bring in Foran for Hoops.

Think I heard that Black is injured . In any case he's not the best at protecting his full back , so even more reason to recall Francis

I know people on here don't approve of 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2 come to that) but I was thinking on the journey home last night how well the defence & midfield we currently have could be setup to play in this way.

Assuming 3-5-2
Centre back trio of Clarke, Barrett & Richards
Wing backs of Hammell & Francis
Midfield trio of Maher, Macca & NickyB

However, Forest is obviously NOT the kind of game to experiment in, but I definitely agree (unless there's stuff going on we don't know about behind he scenes) Maher probably needs to come back in, purely for his experience. Bailey doesn't deserve to be dropped but he did look tired and/or carrying an injury at points yesterday, so maybe stick him on the bench & unleash him with half an hour to go?

You cant have clarke up front on his own either, he's not a target man. whenever he's played in that role we've looked far more ineefective. Pains me a little to say this but for me it has to be Harrold and Clarke up front

I know people on here don't approve of 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2 come to that) but I was thinking on the journey home last night how well the defence & midfield we currently have could be setup to play in this way.

Assuming 3-5-2

However, Forest is obviously NOT the kind of game to experiment in, but I definitely agree (unless there's stuff going on we don't know about behind he scenes) Maher probably needs to come back in, purely for his experience. Bailey doesn't deserve to be dropped but he did look tired and/or carrying an injury at points yesterday, so maybe stick him on the bench & unleash him with half an hour to go?

Some interesting thoughts there Glasgie . I thought Bailey was quiet possibly because of the booking . He is now on four so maybe it will affect him again .

Overall it looks like we favour two up front and I agree Clarke will play better with Harrold to support . It also looks like we favour a recall for KK

I think Maher has to come back for Forest. We will need all the experience we have up there to gain anything. I'd be more than happy with a scrappy 0-0

why bring maher back?! whats the point in changing the central midfield? - maher was rightly dropped - his standard in his last few games was poor. baily and macca in the middle for me

gower and foran on the wings

why bring maher back?! whats the point in changing the central midfield? - maher was rightly dropped - his standard in his last few games was poor. baily and macca in the middle for me

gower and foran on the wings

Dont agree with Foran. He looks and plays like a lost schoolboy. Maher has been a legend for the Blues the past 9 years and think that Tilly dropping him hasnt been one of his better decisions. We need someone that can hold onto the ball and bring others into play. I cannot beleive you would rather have Foran in the starting X1 over King Kev. I would choose Maher, Francis, Moussa and Black over Foran.

My team would be

Collis
Hunt Clarke Barrett Hammell
Maher Macca Bailey Gower
Clarke Harrold

Subs : Sub Keeper(Youth Keeper? Loan?) Francis, Moussa, Hooper, Foran/McDonald

I cannot beleive you would rather have Foran in the starting X1 over King Kev.

My team would be

Collis
Hunt Clarke Barrett Hammell
Maher Macca Bailey Gower
Clarke Harrold

Maher right wing? He's about as adventurous as a night in with Menzies Campbell... That's just inviting pressure.

If Bailey or Macca are carrying knocks and/or tired, then bring Maher in. If not, then there is absolutely no reason to change a winning combination in the middle of the park.

I'd have Foran in the first 11, but that's not to play in Maher's role in midfield funnily enough, the same way I wouldn't have Foran in midfield ahead of Maher.

Foran needs to be given a chance. Leon's the only forward scoring consistently for the first team, and Foran is scoring goals for fun in the Stiffs... Like i've said in other threads, It's not exactly rocket science to see the next move.
I have visions of Foran taking the same route as Paynter... not being given a chance and we're left with yet another £250k going down the drain.

Assuming 3-5-2

I can see the attraction of playing 3-5-2 - the prospect of Garry Richards in the Beckenbaur role as the spare man stepping into midfield to utilise his range of passing (surely the biggest in the club - who else's range of passes includes pedestrians in Shakespeare Avenue?) is mouthwatering. That is if its actually 3 man at the back and not 4 because maher sits so deep. How better to hide Francis' poor positioning and woeful concentration than to play him in a position that requires exceptional positioning and concentration. As for Hammell, I think people confuse the ability to swing in a good corner with being good going forward. Plus I'm not convinced hammell has the pace to get back and defend.

Maher right wing? He's about as adventurous as a night in with Menzies Campbell... That's just inviting pressure.

I can see it now. Maher picks the ball up on half way hugging the touch line. With a blistering turn of pace he absolutely roasts the left back and whips in a cross straight along the 6 yard box which Leon lashes in at the far post.

:angel:

i'd go with
collis
hunt-clarke-barrett-hammell
macca-baily-maher-gower
clarke-foran

harrold and hooper have had their chance upfront. i'd pick foran over macdonald because he has been scoring for reserves.

also when will macca face his suspention, he got his fifth yellow at northampton.

Think playing 2 wingers is a high risk strategy for Forest. When we were last in this division we played by and large with just Gower out wide. Lee Bradbury played on the right side with Juppy providing the width. No reason why Kevin can't play there or indeed one of Bailey or Mac.

Ok im off in a few hours to catch my flight to nottingham...should have net access at the hotel but just in case Tilly is short on ideas i thought id put up my team selection now :fart:

Collis

Hunt AB Clarke Stevie H

Macca Maher Bailey Gower*

Leeeeon, My main man Richie Foran*

I have a sneaky feeling tho that Foran will be played on the wing in place of Gower, with either Harrold or Hooper partnering Leon up front.

In case i don't get online again before the match Tuesday night - safe trip up to nottingham everyone and say hello at the city ground if you see a geezer holding an irish flag with a jupp shirt on :D

Back