• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
Ok, I have been criticizing Paul for the last few weeks and had a one man boycott of the last two games. I have a season ticket, so it has not cost the club money, but I just was getting so frustrated I could not watch. From what I have read about yesterday’s game (and I have read everything) we are at least trying to play some football and that’s all I ask. Paul knows who the hoofers are and he can work on them, though as me and many others have said these guys need an easy option. Get the midfield guys asking for the ball and coming short to pick it up. 'If in doubt hoof it son' is what I believe they are told. Well maybe that’s ok if there is no option. So try to create easy options and that must mean the better players standing up and being counted. Too many times every one runs away from the ball and the hoof is inevitable.
The last time we played a league game on a Saturday was Bristol Rovers and 6200 turned up, only 5200 yesterday. I think 1000 people got turned off by the hoof ball. Like me I believe they will come back and hope for better now.
So keep up the good work and well done so far with new signings.

Ok, I have been criticizing Paul for the last few weeks and had a one man boycott of the last two games. I have a season ticket, so it has not cost the club money, but I just was getting so frustrated I could not watch. From what I have read about yesterday’s game (and I have read everything) we are at least trying to play some football and that’s all I ask. Paul knows who the hoofers are and he can work on them, though as me and many others have said these guys need an easy option. Get the midfield guys asking for the ball and coming short to pick it up. 'If in doubt hoof it son' is what I believe they are told. Well maybe that’s ok if there is no option. So try to create easy options and that must mean the better players standing up and being counted. Too many times every one runs away from the ball and the hoof is inevitable.
The last time we played a league game on a Saturday was Bristol Rovers and 6200 turned up, only 5200 yesterday. I think 1000 people got turned off by the hoof ball. Like me I believe they will come back and hope for better now.

PS changed the tactics that had taken us into automatic spots just to appease fans?! Really, you believe that?! There wasn't any drastic change that I saw.

1000 less the difference between Bristol Rovers' support and the handful from Port Vale.

way way over the top. We were never a hoofball team. It's been debated so much I'm surprised it's consisdered an issue. As for PS listening to fans I nearly laughed my socks off. Look he's a top top manager. He really knows his stuff. I cannot believe the penny hasn't dropped. It's quite clear that he has started to plan for next season "following promotion - fingers crossed" which requires a slightly different type of football. Direct, passing up the wings and less knocking it to a big front man although this will happen but less often as it's a legitimate tactic.
PS I wish Timlin had played real hoof ball before he gave the ball away in the D&G game.

Whilst I also doubt that PS has changed things in terms of his system to appease fans, the OP does still make a valid point. Our great sides under Tilson also contained players with limited ability on the ball. Think back to players like Pettefer, Che Wilson, Duncan Jupp. These guys have gone down in Southend folklore as integral parts to promotion winning sides but were pretty limited as ball-players and soon slipped down through the leagues after leaving us. However whilst at Southend they had Kevin Maher playing alongside them and he was never more than 10 yards away from these players when they were in possession giving them the option of the easy pass. If Timlin could offer players such as Kalala and Gilbert such a service then we'd be much more likely to play more football IMO.

1000 less the difference between Bristol Rovers' support and the handful from Port Vale.

Bristol Rovers support was 288

Dont know what they came with yesterday but lets say 88 then there was 200 difference and a 1000 lower crowd so yes your right . Only 800 decided they could not watch and not the 1000 I originally said.
Thank you for pointing this out. :Worthy:

Good to hear we played it on the floor, was this made easier by the opposition though?

way way over the top. We were never a hoofball team. It's been debated so much I'm surprised it's consisdered an issue. As for PS listening to fans I nearly laughed my socks off. Look he's a top top manager. He really knows his stuff. I cannot believe the penny hasn't dropped. It's quite clear that he has started to plan for next season "following promotion - fingers crossed" which requires a slightly different type of football. Direct, passing up the wings and less knocking it to a big front man although this will happen but less often as it's a legitimate tactic.
PS I wish Timlin had played real hoof ball before he gave the ball away in the D&G game.

Just can not agree with any of this.
First off all 'way way over the top'. What to congratulate the manager on a job well done?
'Never a hoofball team' The team was bood at half time at Swindon game at full time at Swindon game at half time at Oldham game and at full time and at Dagenham game. Why was that? Because we were over playing the ball around the park or we were hoofing it continuously and every one was sick of it. I think the latter .
P.S. does not listen to fans. Trust me all managers listen to fans. Do you really think he comes on here and does not get upset at fans telling him we are sick of hoofing Paul. With out the fans on board the club is nothing, it would not exist. So yes he doe's listen.
Planning for next season? He is an experianced manager, thats the only bit I do agreee with and he will know that there is a long . long way to go this season before we start worrying about next.
Timlin should have played a hoofball- Timlin picked it up and turned and was facing his own goal when he missplaced his pass. The only way he could have hoofed it is over his own bar for a corner. Is that what you wanted him to do. Watch the video and your see what I mean.

Re the support

Dont forget some are waiting for their 1st pay packet following their December / xmas expenses!

So insulting to sturrock this. As if he would change years of playing successful lower league football that gets results because a few fans moan.

Think of this situation. Imagine he DID think, "oops, fans moaning, better completely change how we play and what I know gets results". We start trying to play football, start losing and slip out of the promotion picture. Who would you blame then? Sturrock would get both barrels - it wouldnt be your (moaning fans) fault for changing the style of play??

No way would any manager risk what we have now, a point off top, to change his philosophy to please the fans. Christ, wake up and smell the coffee.

He knows what works, knows how to get out of the lower leagues and yes, sometimes the style doesn't work and games are dull, but come August when we are kicking off in league 1 at home to Coventry, will you care? Really?

If (and hopefully when) we do go up, then Paul can reassess and get more ball playing types in, but for now, I'm delighted with what he has done and how he has done it.

The team was bood at half time at Swindon game at full time at Swindon game at half time at Oldham game and at full time and at Dagenham game. Why was that? Because we were over playing the ball around the park or we were hoofing it continuously and every one was sick of it. I think the latter .

Because we didn't win?!?!

More football was played because of the new players in the squad, it was becoming more and more pointless to play football with hall being marked out of the game. Now we have 2 wingers as a real outlet to use the flanks and work the ball into the box it becomes easier. I said after the AFC game, sturrock had to change the style of play or bring in big lumps to shove up top. He's made it clear with his 3 signings his thinking for the future is to play football.

To say sturrock changed the style of play because of the fans is ridiculous, he is an experienced manager and with a few more additions I'm sure we'll be in a good position to gain promotion.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.378589,-0.519325

Can't believe I was reading this. Would think the most obvious reason for the lower crowd on Saturday it was the 2nd Home game of the week. Football isn't cheap to watch even at our level. Thankfully I have a season ticket otherwise I may well not have been there.

I just want to support a successful team and say what you like PS. has produced a winning team against most of the odds. We are averaging over 2 points a game Scored more goals than most, conceded less than most and won 8 away games out of 11. A time for applause me thinks.

As for the flowing football everyone craves, just take a look at the pitch. I would say it is almost in the poorest condition I have seen. It most certainly isn't a billiard table just look at the way the ball bobbles around.Not really suitable for intricate passing.

Personally I am a little more worried about the forthcoming fixtures, which could see us playing 7 of the next 9 games away from home. Assuming Aldershot is arranged in the near future and the Swindon match can't be re-arranged until March. Bear in mind Swindon are in the JPT still.

Certainly we could be playing catch up come March but at least it gives the Club time to work on the pitch.

Can't believe I was reading this. Would think the most obvious reason for the lower crowd on Saturday it was the 2nd Home game of the week.

Saturday's game was the second home match in a week, but so was the Bristol Rovers game, albeit with cheaper prices for the first one.

I'm sure the lack of both entertainment value and results has caused the crowd to drop lower than it would have been if either home results had been better or the football more entertaining (or preferably both).

Bristol Rovers support was 288

Dont know what they came with yesterday but lets say 88 then there was 200 difference and a 1000 lower crowd so yes your right . Only 800 decided they could not watch and not the 1000 I originally said.
Thank you for pointing this out. :Worthy:

Wasn't trying to be picky, I thought the difference would have been greater. As I said, I think it's the home results as much as the hoofball which has kept some people away. Most people will, sadly, tolerate anything as long as it leads to a win.

Because we didn't win, at half time.
Dagenham also was a draw , so no, not just because we didn't win.
And I am so sorry to the mighty Paul Sturrock for offering my opinion. He must feel sooo insulted.

So if Daggers hadnt equalised you reckoned people would have booed ?

They would have gone home thinking it wasnt a great game, but they would never boo a win....

So if Daggers hadnt equalised you reckoned people would have booed ?

They would have gone home thinking it wasnt a great game, but they would never boo a win....

You are probably right , I think the fans would have found it difficult to boo when the team has won. But you are also right that people went home thinking that was not a great game. win lose or draw.
Do you think there would have been booing after the - 1-1 as there was had we knocked it about and looked to play football and Dagenham scraped a draw at the end. I do not think so. We would have been gutted but no boo's.
It is the style of play that is frustrating the hell out of most people and then there are others who don't care what they watch as long as we accumulate enough points.
Its all a matter of opinions I guess. Sorry to say we will never be any more than a lower league team, so to me its more important to enjoy what I see. I would rather see a nail biting 3-3 with great passing and goal mouth action than southend winning 1-0 by hoofing it at every opportunity.

Back