• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That corner

Against a team like Huddersfield then definately keep the ball in the corner. We couldnt have afforded to risk being caught on the counter attack, especially with Barrett and Eagle both up

At that stage of the game, with 10 men and a point to gain (no longer 2 lost after Eastwood was dismissed with the score level) I'd have opted to play to the corner. Home advantage was countered by numerical advantage.

Without question, keep the ball in the corner and this is what I was screaming at Maher to do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Aug. 21 2005,13:08)]I would have gone for the goal and probably lost the game.
I've completed your sentence for you.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 21 2005,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Aug. 21 2005,13:08)]I would have gone for the goal and probably lost the game.
I've completed your sentence for you.

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

That's what I would have done, we might have scored or got another corner putting more pressure on them, I felt there would be more chance of us scoring then Huddersfield running down the other end and scoring.

I feel the piece of the jigsaw that has been missed is what happened after we lost the ball in the corner, it resulted in Huddersfield going straight down to our end and having three corners in the last minute, which resulted in a tense 60 seconds for both players and crowd, what would the posts have been like then if they had scored from one of these
It was ahard call to make, but believe a cross from the corner area could have resulted in a goal or another corner or throw into us and relieved some of the pressure to waste time

We will never know now
rock.gif

How many goals have we scored from corners recently? We had defended the 1-1 superbly with 10 men, and at the end it was a great point to win. Imagine if the ball had come into the box been cleared and Huddersfield had scored on the break. People would have been on this site slating Maher for not holding the ball up.

Also this set of players are working really hard for each other I can think back to some of our more recent teams where we would have lost this game 2 or 3 one.

I say well done to the lads keep going we are behind you except the guy in the Blue and White sripe shirt of course.

It was great watching Tilly come over to that half life in the striped shirt and shout 'what the f%&k is your problem' whilst holding to fingers up to show 1-1. I said before the game I'd be happy with a point and I'm happy now.

1993 France v Bulgaria. France needing only a draw to qualify for the world cup decide to make a late subsitution. On comes David Ginola with the instruction to dribble the ball into the corner and keep it there just to run down the last couple of minutes so France get the result they need. instead of following out his instructions Ginola dribbles into the corner and crosses the ball right into the keepers eager hands. Keeper quickly throws the ball out, Bulgaria counter attack and lo and behold score. France fail to qualify for the world cup. Ginola never played for France again.

A couple of times yesterday from free kicks/corners H'field went stright down the pitch and put us under pressure (also got their goal this way) Therefore in the circumstances we did the right thing. Also the ref played more that the additional 3 mins indicated, probably because he felt we were wasting time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Aug. 21 2005,11:35)]Would you have settled for the ball-in-the-corner thing or gone for the goal?
well I put £2 on Eastwood to score first and 2-1 southend at 25/1 so I would of gone for it!

I would have put it into the box. We're at home for goodness sake and who knows what might have happened, we could've nicked a winner. We had people in the box. What's the point of Edwards and Barrett going up if we're just going to muck around with it in the corner?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ Aug. 21 2005,13:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Aug. 21 2005,11:35)]Would you have settled for the ball-in-the-corner thing or gone for the goal?
well I put £2 on Eastwood to score first and 2-1 southend at 25/1 so I would of gone for it!
I had that same bet, although I put £5 on it!

I'd have sent up Flavs, crossed the ball to outside the area and watched as Flavs creams it first time into the top right hand corner from 25 yards. Then, of course, defend like mad.
Robert's your mother's brother.

Back