• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What has happened to those clubs or what will happen is excatly what we need..............brings a freash start to everything and could even bring more fans out the wood work for what could be an epic adventure

We need what happened to Darlington to happen to us ?

They have all but ceased to exist have they?

And that lasted for how long ?

Do you honestly think that we would be able to sustain a 100% increase consistently over a long period ?

Our accounts arent showing anything more than they have done for years, we lose money, we always have lost money.

Unless we increase our attendances permanently thats not going to change.

The new stadium is the only thing that will affect our ability to make funds, and my concern is it wont even do that, especially with 3 sides.

Im not dismissing your concerns but you are reacting to the figures that are showing the same thing they always have and any thing that could be done by fans is very limited and short term only.

Well there attendances have not dropped that low since! ok granted new stadium and rise up the leagues but drop them down and there core will be still 6+

I admire the romance of it and the adventure - but its a HUGE gamble

And pointless surely.

If we are saying being a non league club and starting from the bottom is a good thing then going bust is nothing to fear...

Id rather limp along struggling than have to go down that avenue.

Well there attendances have not dropped that low since! ok granted new stadium and rise up the leagues but drop them down and there core will be still 6+

But they had new owners put money in and get the new stadium. They turned up and stayed for success, as would our fans.

We would no doubt get the same gains if we had that. We are getting the new stadium so lets hope it helps in the way it did for Hull...

But they had new owners put money in and get the new stadium.

We would no doubt get the same gains if we had that. We are getting the new stadium so lets hope it helps in the way it did for Hull...

Reason I use Hull as an example too is I see them and Brighton as the benchmark for us

id love to know how many season ticket holders we have this season, i bet its well down on last season, 2,200 maybe ? anyone got any ideas ?

id love to know how many season ticket holders we have this season, i bet its well down on last season, 2,200 maybe ? anyone got any ideas ?

Maybe make a list? :winking:

Here we go ill start, just add a number and your name and we'll have a figure in no time! :hilarious:

1. Paddysat

I actually think that Scott has a couple of good points re attendences

The club has cut expenditure , which is great . But we are ding nothing/very little to attract new fans, or old fans back . Even our play off crowd was poor. The club have made a decision not to actively attempt to increase crowd size and revenue (I say this as their is little/no marketing of the club ). I apprecaite that this costs money and I hope that the club are making the right decisions. A 10% increase in attendence figures would not solve everything, but it would help bridge the gap . I can recall two seasons ago when we were fined over £10,000 for a tax paymanet that was 24 hrs la te . The club knew it was late ,and knew we would be fined but we simply did not have the funds to pay it . That brought home to me just how hand to mouth we are

The club has cut expenditure , which is great . But we are ding nothing/very little to attract new fans, or old fans back . Even our play off crowd was poor. The club have made a decision not to actively attempt to increase crowd size and revenue (I say this as their is little/no marketing of the club ). I apprecaite that this costs money and I hope that the club are making the right decisions. A 10% increase in attendence figures would not solve everything, but it would help bridge the gap . I can recall two seasons ago when we were fined over £10,000 for a tax paymanet that was 24 hrs la te . The club knew it was late ,and knew we would be fined but we simply did not have the funds to pay it . That brought home to me just how hand to mouth we are

To be fair, they've recruited Brian Wheeler back who, according to marketing bods in the industry is a proper visionary.

Not really, Att: 8,190 which compared to 9,100 when we played Doncaster in the league one play-off. It was a midweek game on TV remember.

The club do try to increase attendances, we had a game for a fiver last year which brought in 10,000, yet most didnt return.

The only way to increase attendances medium to long term is by getting results and climbing leagues.

We all know what will happen this season anyway. We will struggle to pay a few bills (eventually pay them) and finish mid table and then the same thing will happen again the next season. The life of a lower league club

We all know what will happen this season anyway. We will struggle to pay a few bills (eventually pay them) and finish mid table and then the same thing will happen again the next season. The life of a lower league club
yep thats the way its going to be for the next two seasons i think or untill or if we get into the new stadium

Not really, Att: 8,190 which compared to 9,100 when we played Doncaster in the league one play-off. It was a midweek game on TV remember.

The club do try to increase attendances, we had a game for a fiver last year which brought in 10,000, yet most didnt return.

The only way to increase attendances medium to long term is by getting results and climbing leagues.

You're only allowed a few special games like this per season according to League rules.

The Doncaster game was the first leg, this time wound was the second leg. That should make a massive difference in my opinion- so you are not comparing like with like.

We used to phone people to 'remind them' that there was a game on- we don't now
We used to phone people whi had not renewed season tickets- we don't now
We used to have 'Blues Country' advertising boards- we don't now
We don't advertise Southend united outisde of Southend i.e Wickford etc
We don't advertise the soccer schools (get them while they are young) outside of Southend
We don't have the Bluebelles advertising games at railstations - we ahve done so in the past.

I am not in marketing so there must be lots that we could be doing - but dont' . As I said I accept that this could just be down to money . But to imply that the marketing dept can not , given the correct budget and the correct team get up attendences is dumb in my opinion. There have been threads on this before where people have said that they did not renew season tickets, but a phone call and 'feeling wanted' might/would have been enought to ahve made them renew.

Marketing was massively cut when we were two years ago in an attempt to live within our means

''We used to phone people to 'remind them' that there was a game on- we don't now''

Have to say I dont have a S/T but when the young lady used to call me up at 7.30pm a few years back I always bought a couple of tickets she right was a charmer on the phone :-)... sadly I not heard from her lately :-(:thumbdown:

''We don't advertise Southend united outside of Southend i.e. Wickford etc ''

Since Karen Brady and co took over west ham we get cheap half price quid for a quid offers monthly through our doors in Wickford.... regrettably Southend United have gone back under there Rock here and lost drifting Fans to the hamsters once again

Back