• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the BIG questions

im far from an expert but we must be in a better fininacial posistion than previous years.

We are, we are not spending more than we get in.

That is basically it...RM is making sure that we do not spend more than we get in, and that is not enough for some , whom I assume feel that he should be putting his hands into his own pockets and making donations (Even Roman is calling them loans at Chelski ) to buy players and pay their wages.

Without getting us further into debt with no visible way of repaying it we are not going to be able to splash out.

The new stadium is planned to produce enough income to both pay back the financeing required to build it as well as provide additional revenue streams for the club. Until that is in place I can not see where there will be sufficient money to sustain anything other that mid table League 1 football.

We got very , very, lucky a couple of years ago and had several players performing considerably above what we were paying them, we over achieved and now those players are elsewhere , earning thier true worth we are left with players af the level we can afford , whilst trying to uncover a few more gems so we can repeat the feat.
And without a fairly substantial increase in our regular income this is all we can achieve.

We are, we are not spending more than we get in.

That is basically it...RM is making sure that we do not spend more than we get in, and that is not enough for some , whom I assume feel that he should be putting his hands into his own pockets and making donations (Even Roman is calling them loans at Chelski ) to buy players and pay their wages.

Without getting us further into debt with no visible way of repaying it we are not going to be able to splash out.

The new stadium is planned to produce enough income to both pay back the financeing required to build it as well as provide additional revenue streams for the club. Until that is in place I can not see where there will be sufficient money to sustain anything other that mid table League 1 football.

We got very , very, lucky a couple of years ago and had several players performing considerably above what we were paying them, we over achieved and now those players are elsewhere , earning thier true worth we are left with players af the level we can afford , whilst trying to uncover a few more gems so we can repeat the feat.
And without a fairly substantial increase in our regular income this is all we can achieve.

As much as it is the blind leading the blind on here........we can only guess as to what is going on behind the scenes.......I would probably accept the sitation that you have painted above.
Those gems are extremely hard to find and the little money that may be available has obviously not, yet, matched the quality of player we wish to bring in. Those shouting the loudest for permenant signings will no doubt be the first on here complaining if they don't live up to expectation. In my view we need bodies in to help secure our position in this league but it won't worry me if these are loanees........as long as they do the job. If we can find one or two little gems that will sign permenantly, so much the better..............but that's not the essential........the essential is survival!
Some tend to forget that real problem we have at the moment is not Ron but the credit crunch........which is not exactly Ron's fault. I think patience is the key word. We are going to have to wait for the financial storm to pass in order to advance. That is not to say that I'm not worried about playing in Sainsbury's cark park in a couple of years time!

After reading this thread I have to admit that my views on the moeny side of things have changed.

Initially I thought hold on - we have all this money from cup runs, players sold etc etc and we are yet to see it. But there are some very good points here and it is obvious that now is not the time to splash out.

There's a recession which is above all the main point and the reason that most companies all around the country are struggling. Forget the football, we are still seen as a business. Ron has always been known to be a shrewd businessman and I'd like to think this is exactly what he is being now - shrewd. If he is not spending more money than is coming into the club, then quite frankly that is fantastic news. I don't know much about the accounts of the club, neither do I have in depth knowledge about the costs of running a football club. One thing we have to be sure of is that our club is in a far greater position financially at least, than it was 5-7 years ago.

I like it that we have got a chairman that has the best interests of OUR club at heart. What sort of an idiot would he be if he went splashing out all our hard earnt cash in the January transfer window during a recession?! People would be calling for his head. If SUFC gets in trouble then no banking institution of any kind is going to want to lend out money in these times. Sitting on anything that we have gained in the last few years is surely complete sense and perhaps something the government of our country should have done when times were good. For the club at the moment, money coming in has been great, but we have to remember it isn't always like that and we should nest these money eggs for harder times - because no doubt there are many ahead.

Now to the footballing side of things. Yes we are in a bit of a pickle and personally I think it won't be long before we find ourselves staring relegation in the face. I am though however confident that we will stay strong and pull through it. This might not be with proven CCC players but with more prudent loan signings which will help us survive this season so that we can build a better team during the summer.

Let's not start calling for anyone's head especially that of Ron or Tilly who I fail to see what more they could do. They have always worked well together and while Tilly might be frustrated at the lack of funding I am sure he realises that it is in the interest of everyone involved in the club. Hang in there people.

Last edited:
Now to the footballing side of things. Yes we are in a bit of a pickle and personally I think it won't be long before we find ourselves staring relegation in the face. I am though however confident that we will stay strong and pull through it. This might not be with proven CCC players but with more prudent loan signings which will help us survive this season so that we can build a better team during the summer.

Let's not start calling for anyone's head especially that of Ron or Tilly who I fail to see what more they could do. They have always worked well together and while Tilly might be frustrated at the lack of funding I am sure he realises that it is in the interest of everyone involved in the club. Hang in there people.

Why............where will the money come from in the Summer ????

I didn't mean the money will come in the summer, I just meant that when we are home and safe and have (hopefully) survived this season still in tact in League One then at least we have longer over the summer to build a team. It doesn't mean we have to splash the cash but at least we can look over targets more carefully.

When you are at war it's easier to gather and re-group at base rather than in the middle of the battlefield.

Last edited:

I think that once the future revenue streams are a bit more concrete ('scuse the pun) it may be prudent to borrow against them in order to ensure that we are in a position to maximise the potential income.

What I mean is that we will need to borrow (knowing that we should be in a far better long term position to pay it back) in order to strengthen the team and push on into the CCC in order to get more bums on seats in the new stadium, greater footfall for the retail outlets etc etc.

If the Stadium Finances are not in place (and probably the groundwork not started) by June, then I would anticipate it being a bargain basement summer and a struggle next term too

I think that once the future revenue streams are a bit more concrete ('scuse the pun) it may be prudent to borrow against them in order to ensure that we are in a position to maximise the potential income.

What I mean is that we will need to borrow (knowing that we should be in a far better long term position to pay it back) in order to strengthen the team and push on into the CCC in order to get more bums on seats in the new stadium, greater footfall for the retail outlets etc etc.

If the Stadium Finances are not in place (and probably the groundwork not started) by June, then I would anticipate it being a bargain basement summer and a struggle next term too

I fear that you could well be right there.............as I said, patience.....I think we're in for a long haul.

Bailey money
WHERE THE HELL DID THAT GO?
One point on this one as it is the most recent transfer of the lot. How do we know we've actually got the money? Charlton are in financial turmoil. There's no guarantee we'll ever get the money if we are one of their creditors.

One point on this one as it is the most recent transfer of the lot. How do we know we've actually got the money? Charlton are in financial turmoil. There's no guarantee we'll ever get the money if we are one of their creditors.
If they go into administration Football related creditors get preference. That was one of the changes made in the wake of Leicester (I think , may have been Forest ?)
I think it was done to protect the game and stop a domino effect where one club insolvency could lead to another

Okay, I have no HARD evidence the club has seen record inflows over the last season OTHER than that of the fact we were promoted to L1/Won the L1 title/ Spent a year in the CCC/ Record season card sales/ Record player sales/Money spinning FA cup run/several full houses inc Man U. inc Donny. Record TV money for SUFC.

Agree no one can guess the level of available funding from a one side view -THE SAME as you can't guess the level of 'non-funding' from your one sided view - THAT'S WHAT MAKES SHRIMPERS CHIT CHAT SOOOO MUCH FUN :)

So what is the HARD evidence besides all those factors you mentioned above?

If they go into administration Football related creditors get preference. That was one of the changes made in the wake of Leicester (I think , may have been Forest ?)
I think it was done to protect the game and stop a domino effect where one club insolvency could lead to another
Preference yes, but preference is only a beneficial thing if there is actually still some money remaining. Plus and I might be wrong here, but there were issues with that ruling as it does not comply with UK law. No doubt it'll be challenge sooner rather than later by the EU courts.

Preference yes, but preference is only a beneficial thing if there is actually still some money remaining. Plus and I might be wrong here, but there were issues with that ruling as it does not comply with UK law. No doubt it'll be challenge sooner rather than later by the EU courts.
very true, if there is not any money remaining then Charlton would go into Liquidation as opposed to Administration . I am sure that someone will challange the legalities of it soon, I am just surprised that the IR didn't when Leeds tucked them up

Back