• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big Bad Barry Corr

First XI⭐
I am sorry if this has actually been covered but can't see any reference to it if it has but can somebody please expalin why we are playing the Brentford friendly at Boreham Wood's ground?

I take it that this is supposedly a home match for us, so is the Roots Hall pitch after it's recent refurbishment not going to be used for a friendly or indeed any other friendlies before the start of the season? No announcement from the club (apart from the utter rip off prices) but no surprise there really.

Not going to be much of a crowd there for a game that must be 50 miles from Southend.

Why Boreham Wood and not perhaps Canvey, Concord Rangers or even GWR? A non league ground is more than sufficient for the amount that will turn up for the game so why not one in the Essex area at least? I'm sure that those clubs would have let us have the use of their ground as a one off if the money was even half decent? Perhaps I just answered my own question in that last sentence eh?

Its a practice run for when we get kicked out of Roots Hall and have that as our home ground.

Its a practice run for when we get kicked out of Roots Hall and have that as our home ground.

Might have a point there Westy perish the thought. Mind you, it could be worse, despite my saying about going there for a one off fixture, could you imagine the club sinking much lower than getting chucked out of Roots Hall and then announcing a groundshare (till the new stadium is built :nope: and we all know exactly when that will be eh? A big fat never) with Canvey Island? Imagine having to hot tail over to that dump to watch football.

That has to be an ultimate nightmare.

Maybe Borehamwood has been picked out of the neutral ground options as its sort of halfway between us and Brentford.Plus its not a bad ground.

Brentford are also playing Boreham Wood at Boreham Wood. Tickets are the same price. I reckon therefore that this is not a home game for us, but more a home game for them, or some sort of arrangement with between Brentford and Boreham Wood.

I've played at Boreham Wood's ground. It's not a bad set up. They also have an artificial practice pitch that was used by some club in the PL before they played away in Russia in the European Champions League because it is the same kind of artificial surface. It was pretty damn good, except that it ripped the studs away from the sole of my boots...

Boreham Wood also have an annual pre-season friendly against Arsenal. I think they get about 2-3000 for that. At these prices I think it is pretty much that that keeps them going each season.

Brentford are also playing Boreham Wood at Boreham Wood. Tickets are the same price. I reckon therefore that this is not a home game for us, but more a home game for them, or some sort of arrangement with between Brentford and Boreham Wood.

I've played at Boreham Wood's ground. It's not a bad set up. They also have an artificial practice pitch that was used by some club in the PL before they played away in Russia in the European Champions League because it is the same kind of artificial surface. It was pretty damn good, except that it ripped the studs away from the sole of my boots...

Boreham Wood also have an annual pre-season friendly against Arsenal. I think they get about 2-3000 for that. At these prices I think it is pretty much that that keeps them going each season.

Thanks for that London. I think that the Arsenal Ladies team plays there too if I'm not mistaken.

I am sorry if this has actually been covered but can't see any reference to it if it has but can somebody please expalin why we are playing the Brentford friendly at Boreham Wood's ground?

I take it that this is supposedly a home match for us, so is the Roots Hall pitch after it's recent refurbishment not going to be used for a friendly or indeed any other friendlies before the start of the season? No announcement from the club (apart from the utter rip off prices) but no surprise there really.

Not going to be much of a crowd there for a game that must be 50 miles from Southend.

Why Boreham Wood and not perhaps Canvey, Concord Rangers or even GWR? A non league ground is more than sufficient for the amount that will turn up for the game so why not one in the Essex area at least? I'm sure that those clubs would have let us have the use of their ground as a one off if the money was even half decent? Perhaps I just answered my own question in that last sentence eh?

I see in yesterdays Echo we are playing Ipswich at a neutral ground due to both Southend and Ipswich grounds being unavailable, anyone know where that might be held?
So it sounds like our only 'big' home friendly might be against Peterborough.

I see in yesterdays Echo we are playing Ipswich at a neutral ground due to both Southend and Ipswich grounds being unavailable, anyone know where that might be held?
So it sounds like our only 'big' home friendly might be against Peterborough.

Same reason that we are playing the match at Boreham Wood, neither Brentford's ground or ours will be ready. Nothing to do with us playing better away from Roots Hall. :nope:

It seems many clubs will be in this situation due to the earlier season start.

Back