• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Gilbert & Rose West Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for those offended by this, (rather than doing what I did as an initial reaction which was to burst out laughing), how would you feel if we signed a highly promising youngster going by the name of James Savile (or Jimmy to his mates).
Bin him, or force him to change his name?

It's not exactly rocket science call the stand:
1 The Gilbert and Rose Estate Agent West Stand. Thereby putting as much distance between the two key words as possible.

Or...

2 Do as the FA do with the FA Cup and refer to it simply as The West Stand sponsored by Gilbert and Rose.

Simples

1 The Gilbert and Rose Estate Agent West Stand. Thereby putting as much distance between the two key words as possible.

Or...

2 Do as the FA do with the FA Cup and refer to it simply as The West Stand sponsored by Gilbert and Rose.

Simples
Or just remove North, East, South & West from everything. They are all sponsored so just call the stands by the sponsor name only. Not sure what the point is of keeping the directional aliases. The fans will always use them, but for sales/marketing reasons I see zero point of it.

So the club are in discussions with Gilbert & Rose. What (helpful) suggestions for alternative names could we offer? I'm guessing that as it is hardly ever in TV view then the value of the sponsorship is not quite as high as the other 3 sides? Just a guess.

So the club are in discussions with Gilbert & Rose. What (helpful) suggestions for alternative names could we offer? I'm guessing that as it is hardly ever in TV view then the value of the sponsorship is not quite as high as the other 3 sides? Just a guess.
The Gilbert & Rose Stand. Done.

Or just remove North, East, South & West from everything. They are all sponsored so just call the stands by the sponsor name only. Not sure what the point is of keeping the directional aliases. The fans will always use them, but for sales/marketing reasons I see zero point of it.
I agree...I think by now we all now which way is north/south/east/west. But then again the North Bank will ALWAYS be the North Bank...and the South Stand will ALWAYS be where the South Bank used to be.

Or...

Simples
Can't really do number 1. We don't describe any of the other sponsors company. It's called the Solopress North Stand not the Solopress commercial printing service North Stand.

Number 2 could be an option, but would need to be for all stand sponsors not just those with potentially offensive naming combinations

A question for those offended by this, (rather than doing what I did as an initial reaction which was to burst out laughing), how would you feel if we signed a highly promising youngster going by the name of James Savile (or Jimmy to his mates).
Bin him, or force him to change his name?
A good question.
Attached, is what a documentary maker found when he searched for people called Hitler.

Thank god the footballer Peter Sutcliffe is unlikely to be interested in the North Stand

although the divorce lawyers Ditcher, Quick and Hyde might fancy going for the South Boom boom ?!

Lay down time

I don't know whether this has been posted already, but a Blades supporter suggests this:

"A spokesman for Southend United has told Sky Sports News that the mistake has since been corrected and an alternative sponsor for the stand has been found.
They look forward to their exciting new partnership with BetFred".

Seriously can’t believe the fuss over this. Don’t recall the makers of Gavin & Stacey getting too much flack for calling the two families in the comedy show the Shipman’s & the West’s. Give it two days and it will all be forgotten.
It was a comedy show. The point of this is that it is indeed comedy rather than offensive

Pardon?

OK, let's just change the name for argument's sake to the Wayne Couzens Stand because that also happens to be the name of a local plumbing merchant who are sponsoring us.

This is nothing to do with the silly season or the Conservative election.
This would have been flagged up at any time of the year, and on any day.
I'd be surprised if the solicitors think it funny to be associated with a serial killer who murdered 10 young people.

Forgotten? Every time the stand is mentioned, it'll get a chortle.
They are estate agents not solicitors. Solicitors would have proof-read it first whereas the estate agents will have been chasing the club asking why it hadn’t completed yet even though the club had told them they’d need to sign the agreement first…

We have had a lot of focus on this today but I would love to see the extra traffic that Gilbert and Rose get off of this. The fact they are an estate agent in a large area will mean people will now think of this name first when looking to buy or rent due to the publicity.

All the club need to do now is remove west from the name so it is Gilbert and Rose Stand and no one will think anything of it.

Its a tax write off anyway i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back