• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
This is not yet another name your best Southend United XI thread. This is more of a name an XI that helped shaped Southend United history by performing or achieving something in a single match that gives them some form of legendary status. This might be through a single event in a match. You can line them team up in any formation you choose, but include a line outlining what, in your opinion, they did, to become the History Men.

My lot are lining up in 4-3-3 (could have had six strikers easily)

Daniel Bentley - that penalty save at Wembley

Duncan Jupp - the second goal at the Millennium. still not sure what the RB was doing up there with us just 1-0 up
Adam Barrett - BANG! that Wembley penalty that said to Wycombe it is us that is going through
Peter Clarke - despite him costing the club £1m per hour he is in for the injury time equaliser at Wembley
Johnny Herd - for having such a long throw that Peter Clarke was able to do the above

Michael Timlin - despite 246 stitches in a head wound he carried us into the Wembley play-off final
Kevin Maher - lifting two trophies (if the League 2 play-off can be counted as a trophy) as a Southend captain
Tony Hadley - scoring the equalising goal to win Southend United its first ever piece of silverware

Wayne Gray - the goal that won Southend United League One
Freddy Eastwood - that free-kick to beat Man U
Ian Benjamin - who put the ball in the Bury net?

Well Joe Pigott has to be in - just has to. I will take that moment with me to the grave.
Paul Smith for the performance in the replay at Brentford - said it before but simply the best keeping display I've seen from a Southend keeper - some of the saves were breath taking.
David Crown for his two goals at home against Wigan.
Roy the Donut for his overhead kick at home against Blackpool
Andy Sussex for a amazing strike at home last game of season against Brentford.
Ben Reeves getting us to Wembley for the first time.
Big Brett for the cheeky back heel away in the anglo Italian

Add in Drewe Broughton for his goal v Col Ewe that got us to our first ever national final

As a player he was a bit, well. League Two. But he had his moment in the sun in terms of our history.

King Billy Best for the magic and the goals that he scored and all the memorys he gave supporters of a certain age .:happy::happy::happy:

Surely Crowny gets in for his two goals at Peterborough! :thumbsup:

Darryl Flahavan for his MOTM performance against Ronaldo? Tough call between him and Bentley!

Flahavan

Jupp Moody Barrett Powell

Gower Maher Timlin Campbell-Ryce

Eastwood Best

Bench: Sansome, Prior, Tilson, Bentley, Collymore ....

Notable Mentions I couldn't fit into my squad... Paul Clark, Bart, Che Wilson and the rest of the squad of the 2005/06 season!

For me the squad built from 2004 - 2007 was one of the most entertaining teams I've watched still to date. It was like you knew you could turn up at Roots Hall, what Gower whip a ball in and Eastwood would have it in the back of the net...

Andy Polycarpou for his goal against our old rivals Watford, that put us through to the famous match in the snow against European champions Liverpool in the FA Cup.
I dont remember him doing much else for us though!! :stunned:

Andy Polycarpou for his goal against our old rivals Watford, that put us through to the famous match in the snow against European champions Liverpool in the FA Cup.
I dont remember him doing much else for us though!! :stunned:

you'll be pleased to know he's a neighbour of my old boss and he mentions this goal a lot.

I think Andy Polycarpou scored in my first ever Blues match 1-1 vs Harlow Town in the Cup.

Flahavan

Jupp Moody Barrett Powell

Gower Maher Timlin Campbell-Ryce

Eastwood Best

Bench: Sansome, Prior, Tilson, Bentley, Collymore ....

Notable Mentions I couldn't fit into my squad... Paul Clark, Bart, Che Wilson and the rest of the squad of the 2005/06 season!

For me the squad built from 2004 - 2007 was one of the most entertaining teams I've watched still to date. It was like you knew you could turn up at Roots Hall, what Gower whip a ball in and Eastwood would have it in the back of the net...

I loved Gower too , but I preferred him in the left hand side and instead of crossing the ball in, I loved it when he cut inside on his right foot for a shot, you always sense something would happen from that shot, be it a direct goal or a deflection or something into someone else's path. Whilst on the right I just loved Bentley and his raw power and strength, one of the toughest men to ever don a Southend jersey for me !

Back