• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The season starts now

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Worst start ever, etc. etc.

It's been horrible.

But whether it's the blue tinted optimism coursing through my veins, the SUFC shaded goggles or just the pure, unbridled hope that you get when you've followed a lower league team for 50 years, I do actually think we may have turned a bit of a corner.

Yes, I know it was a meaningless cup game in a competition we couldn't progress any further in against a side playing a load of kids. But we won a game! And there are some other signs.

Firstly - we have - by fortune, not design - had a version of a mini winter break. Usually at this time of year, the games come thick and fast but we have - I genuinely believe - been smiled upon. Our new fitness regime will have had a couple of weeks to work with the players and get them fitter. It wasn't that they weren't fit - they weren't fit ENOUGH. Hard work will improve that.

Secondly, Sol seems to be starting to impose himself and has made some biggish and very visible decisions, plus I'm wagering some even bigger and invisible ones behind the scenes. It's clear that certain people have been identified who have no place here (and informed). Ron has said he will back Sol - and to his credit, he has backed every manager, so I don't see why he shouldn't again - so I think we can expect several changes in January. Of this I have no doubt; quite separately, my colleague has tried to arrange something with Sol for January and we have been told that his instructions to the staff are to schedule NOTHING for that month as he will be spending it dealing with transfers. So there seems to be a reasonable commitment to that particular cause.

But thirdly and finally, we are seeing glimmers of hope on the pitch. The goal v Portsmouth had 28 passes in the build up and one of the goals v Wimbledon had 22 passes which involved every outfield player. Bad players don't do that. Confidence is low but stuff like that will improve confidence no end and things can change very quickly.

So for me, the season starts now. It's a tall order but not one which is impossible. There's over half the season left and we are trying to climb above teams who are also not going to pick up points. It's a tall order, but not as tall as everyone might believe.

I'll be there on Saturday as usual, I'll try and find someone to bring to take advantage of the freebie ticket offer and I'm sure, as supporters, we can get right behind the team again.

Blue army!

Great post @fbm :Clap: Let’s try to reboot the positivity on and off the Zone. It’s clean slate time again, for everyone’s benefit.

I’m doing my bit to bolster the numbers - nephew indoctrination is well under way (7th birthday present):B2D86E62-11D2-45CC-82E9-5086B180DB1A.jpeg

We'll both be there, how could we not. Mind you, I did watch their last win as well, so I'm still pumped up by that. COYB.

It'll be really interesting to see and hear Sol speak at the Trust AGM. If you're a member, I do suggest coming along.

And FOURTHLY, fbm, there is the Hall of Fame Event the night before the Oxford match to remind ourselves what a great club we have and that the good times in our past remind us that things will turn good again

Back