• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

threat from the bench??

non exsistant, 3-0 so lets bring on lee bradbury cough cough because he can change a game. not over yet we can do it :)

he did change the game though, i though he played really well when he came on. however i know what you mean. we would need someone to create a sparke to get everyone going. why did we let mitchell cole go.

I agree, here we are a championship side, for the time being, and not aproven goal scorer in the side or on the bench. No plan B. Absolutley appalling.Now who's fault is that? We the supporters or the management who put their jobs on the line with their faith in their signings.This season. Foran 6 appearances 1 goal. Harrold 12 appearances 3 goals. Bradbury 29 appearances 3 goals. Total 47 appearances 7 goals.That would mean 6.71 games before any of our so called strikers would score!

I'd imagine more goals have come from midfield than up front. Shocking state of affairs.

of course it doesnt help that all 3 fit strikers at the club are all target men. We need a striker that looks to get in behind the defence. i.e. hooper

stick barrett up there.

yesterday though was actually terrible how we had nothing on the bench. no attacking threat what so ever. why have we put all our strikers on loan, even if they aren't the best in the world we still need strikers

I've said it befiore and I'll say it again, Adam Barrett has all the makings of a decent Paul Warhurst-esque emergency striker. He's strong, he's good in the air, he can hold the ball up and he knows where the goal is. And whilst he isn't the paciest player we have I'd back him in a sprint ahead of Foran, Bradbury and Harrold.

Bring Spinner back in alongside Clarke and stick AB up top. We were a different team when he went up front yesterday.

Not sure about Barrett up front but it really is worth a try in situation we now find ourselves in. He'd provide a much better attacking threat than Harrold did all game yesterday. If Freddy's fit again though, stick him back in immediately. He's still our best hope going forward.

So we are not struggling much having to put one of our two best centre halves up Front ?

Why all the talk about putting centre halves up front ? AB up front would be interesting if only to play head lottery with points scored for guessing which direction the ball's going in if AB manages to get his head onto it.

Looking at our options yesterday we looked less clueless when Bradders came on. I was surprised Moussa wasn't thrown into the mix in midfield exposing him to the heat of the big time pushing JCR on to see whether his pace made a difference. If you're good enough age isn't an issue.

I must admit I didn't realise Hoops was injured as I've been away but high time to call Paynter back methinks (though it's almost certainly much too late to save us). Nothing would please me more than to see him silence the critics.

I must admit I didn't realise Hoops was injured as I've been away but high time to call Paynter back methinks (though it's almost certainly much too late to save us). Nothing would please me more than to see him silence the critics.

That's the infuriating thing for me. We have a goals crisis and shipped out two strikers on loan, one of which is now injured (which is fair enough). The other has been netting for Bradford and could come back to us with renewed determination to prove his critics wrong yet there is no sign from any of the management team that such a move has even been contemplated.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that Bradbury is simply not good enough at this level. Harrold has barely played really and normally comes on with about 10 minutes ago and therefore cannot be expected to be match fit and looks deserving of his former Yeovil 4th choice status. The jury is still out on Foran but Tilly's earlier reluctance to play him as a striker appears to be well-founded on the basis of what I have seen so far. With Eastwood injured we have zero attacking threat and have to rely upon spectacular goals from the midfield (à la Monday at Preston)!

I've said it befiore and I'll say it again, Adam Barrett has all the makings of a decent Paul Warhurst-esque emergency striker. He's strong, he's good in the air, he can hold the ball up and he knows where the goal is. And whilst he isn't the paciest player we have I'd back him in a sprint ahead of Foran, Bradbury and Harrold.

Bring Spinner back in alongside Clarke and stick AB up top. We were a different team when he went up front yesterday.

i actually agree, ab did really well when he played up front.

the thing i love about him is that he plays with so much passion and always to the best of his ability.

ab is god!

The jury is still out on Foran but Tilly's earlier reluctance to play him as a striker appears to be well-founded on the basis of what I have seen so far. )!

That is possibly one of the most worrying things someone has ever posted on here, and yet alarmingly, possibly quite true.

Foran was bought in as a striker, and yet Tilly has been incredibly reluctant to play him and now it would appear why that is.

Well why the hell did he sign him then?????

If it is true, and he isnt playing him there because he doesnt think he can cut the mustard, then someone wants locking up for spending money on him in the first place!

That is possibly one of the most worrying things someone has ever posted on here, and yet alarmingly, possibly quite true.

Foran was bought in as a striker, and yet Tilly has been incredibly reluctant to play him and now it would appear why that is.

If it is true, and he isnt playing him there because he doesnt think he can cut the mustard, then someone wants locking up for spending money on him in the first place!

I've put this on here before and I believe others confirmed it - when we signed Foran , the blurb on him stated he had mostly been playing wide left midfield from which position he had scored 14 times . it did not say but i have read since that only 3 of those goals came from open play . the blurb also said he could play up front as an alternative . I stand to be corrected on this if anyone knows more

Only three of Foran's goals were league goals from open-play. He's apparently a very good penalty taker so he took all of Motherwell's pens, plus he scored quite a few goals in the cups.

EDIT - just checked Soccerbase, and he scored seven cup goals this season, five of which were from open-play

Last edited:

I thought Foran was signed to offer some cover, particularly in left midfield, a position we were lacking cover for and the position he'd been playing all season for Motherwell.

I don't think Foran was brought in as a striker, though. He was brought in because he is versatile and can provide an option either up front or on the wings. Remember that he played almost exclusively on the left for Motherwell so it's not as if Tilly has been deliberately playing him out of position.

Again, some of the fickle comments on this board are laughable. Foran was seen as a God and "money well spent" when he first arrived. Now all of a sudden he is useless and should "bugger off back to Scotland".

Admittedly he has been poor in his last couple of appearances (at Roots Hall at least) but overall I think he has what it takes to be a good signing in the long run.

Again, some of the fickle comments on this board are laughable. Foran was seen as a God and "money well spent" when he first arrived. Now all of a sudden he is useless and should "bugger off back to Scotland".

Admittedly he has been poor in his last couple of appearances (at Roots Hall at least) but overall I think he has what it takes to be a good signing in the long run.

I certainly haven't read many comments saying he should "bugger off back to Scotland", nor is that my belief. I was just making the point that his best position may not be as a striker and he is not the solution to our problems up front, in my opinion.

I certainly haven't read many comments saying he should "bugger off back to Scotland", nor is that my belief. I was just making the point that his best position may not be as a striker and he is not the solution to our problems up front, in my opinion.

Well we haven't tried him in the defence or goal yet , so he could turn out to be a good signing , I suppose ....

Back