• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

I’d cautiously say that the only thing we’re struggling with this season, is our injury crisis. If that continues, then yeah we could be in a bit of bother.

Either way, I still wouldn’t blame Powell for it.
I'd cautiously say that consistency is also a bit of a struggle this season. Maybe Chris Powell might share some of the responsibility for that.

I'd cautiously say that consistency is also a bit of a struggle this season. Maybe Chris Powell might share some of the responsibility for that.

Maybe. But if you’ve got to keep changing personel week in, week out, then it’s always going to be hard for the starting XI to build any kind of consistency, as it’s constanly changing.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell celebrated his first year in charge of the Shrimpers this week.

More...

Handy table from the Echo in this article, showing win ratios of all SUFC managers in their first 12 months in charge, with Powell second in the table (sack him!).

Interestingly, you can see Eddie Perry - my manager in the All Time Draft where I wuz robbed of victory in the final - third in the table.... :Cool:

Nearly every other game we cant have consistency for 90 minutes because of an injury. That of course means your also guaranteed a change for the following match.

The problem with the 'out' brigade is they wanted PB out PS before that, now CP and of course the moment we aren't in the top 6 with the next manger, it would be the same names on here.

We have a worse than some none league clubs commercial set up at RH whilst the FF dream sits on a council desk on planning paper. We have Championship size debts, which means even if got to the championship it could be a disaster financially.

There is no smaller clubs doing better than us and none of our local rivals are exactly ripping it up. So my advice is grab a ticket for tomorrow if your still dithering and show the players and CP that we can get behind OUR team. We have some big games still to come at the RH and their is no treason why we couldn't finish like we did last season with players manager and fans alike all glad they are part off it.

Handy table from the Echo in this article, showing win ratios of all SUFC managers in their first 12 months in charge, with Powell second in the table (sack him!).

Interestingly, you can see Eddie Perry - my manager in the All Time Draft where I wuz robbed of victory in the final - third in the table.... :Cool:

The problem with win ratios is that back when it was 2 points for a win, a draw, especially away from home was a good result.

Unless the you the loss ratios next to them you cant compare managers from decades ago to the present.

Last edited:
The stats are for each managers 1st 12 months in charge so wouldn’t include Tilly’s championship season, or league 1 seasons for that matter!

Managers 1st 12 mouths at Southend United table

View attachment 7121
Never understand this obsession with "win percentage" stats. If you are going to measure relative performance of managers, do it on Point percentage (giving 3 points for a win for all years, including when it was only 2 for a win).
Otherwise you get incorrect placings like in the above table.
Ernie Shepherd would have 77 points in 50 games, and Eddie Perry would have 75 in 50 games. Yet Perry appears above Shepherd..duh........

Nearly every other game we cant have consistency for 90 minutes because of an injury. That of course means your also guaranteed a change for the following match.

The problem with the 'out' brigade is they wanted PB out PS before that, now CP and of course the moment we aren't in the top 6 with the next manger, it would be the same names on here.

We have a worse than some none league clubs commercial set up at RH whilst the FF dream sits on a council desk on planning paper. We have Championship size debts, which means even if got to the championship it could be a disaster financially.

There is no smaller clubs doing better than us and none of our local rivals are exactly ripping it up. So my advice is grab a ticket for tomorrow if your still dithering and show the players and CP that we can get behind OUR team. We have some big games still to come at the RH and their is no treason why we couldn't finish like we did last season with players manager and fans alike all glad they are part off it.

I agree.

Its been one of those seasons, a bit of an up and down one so far, with lots of injuries.

But i'm not sure, on this occasion, you can blame the 'Queer Dean' for our misfortunes...

I'll get my coat...

:Whistling::Whistling::Whistling::Whistling:

If you rank it by points per game, and assuming 3 points for a win, the ranking ends up like this:

David Webb 1.68
Ernie Shepherd 1.54
Chris Powell 1.51
Eddie Perry 1.50
Steve Tilson 1.48
Harry Warren 1.48
Phil Brown 1.38
Dave Smith 1.36
Paul Sturrock 1.35
Paul Clark 1.34
Rob Newman 1.32
Arthur Rowley 1.29
Tom Mather 1.28
Alvan Williams 1.23
Ronnie Whelan 1.17
Peter Taylor 1.17
Alan Little 1.16
Ted Fenton 1.08
David Jack 1.04
Bobby Moore 1.04
Alvin Martin 1.02
Ted Birnie 0.98

Chris Powell drops to 3rd if you measure it that way. Still pretty impressive considering all the injury problems this season.

If you consider this season alone he would still be on 1.36 PPG, in 9th place in the list, snuggled between Dave Smith and Paul Sturrock.

Happy to see Fry didnt get a look in ,hes a judas as far as im concerned

Seeing Adam Barrett firing up the Millwall team as the come out....give me that please

I think John White is under rated he had played his heart out for Southend and scored vital goals as well you want better cost a lot of money

I didn't say John White is a bad defender. I said he can't play it out of the back. Passing is easily his weakest area, which leads to a lot of 'hoofs' forward.

Back