• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[/B]

How about not stopping play at all for subs, let the 4th official handle it and they new player just goes on when the other player comes off.

I do think this is all bit hypocritical though, whilst Morecambe and Burton last year really went for it all teams do it it to an extent.

Yep, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Totally agree.

How about also blowing for a free kick for ungentlemanly conduct if a team takes the ball into the corner? I hate that tactic.

How about also blowing for a free kick for ungentlemanly conduct if a team takes the ball into the corner? I hate that tactic.

How about shooting the player:smile:

It is a ridiculous tactic when you consider the cost of watching and I hate it with a passion even when we do it.The must win at any cost attitude can sometimes go too far.

No thats taking it a bit too far. Youll then get people complaining they are passing it along the back four too often.

I do remember one occassion though not long after the keepers were stopped picking up passbacks when a team were just repeatedly kicking it back to the keeper who then passed it to the other fullback and the referee did blow up. Never seen it since though.

I can never understand why a keeper can take a goal kick from either side of the goal irrespective of where the ball goes behind. An opportunity to waste few more seconds.

Believe it or not, FIFA brought that rule in the speed the game up. It used to be that you had to take it from the side the ball went off, but 'keepers would take as long as they can. They then changed the rule so that 'keepers can take it from either side. This way a 'keeper in a team that is chasing the game can take it from the closest side.

If this were an honest world that would have worked, but even before that rule came into force I could see that a 'keeper of a team defending a lead would use it to their advantage. What FIFA should have done, and still should do, is make a 'keeper take the goal kick from the side closest to them.

No thats taking it a bit too far. Youll then get people complaining they are passing it along the back four too often.

I do remember one occassion though not long after the keepers were stopped picking up passbacks when a team were just repeatedly kicking it back to the keeper who then passed it to the other fullback and the referee did blow up. Never seen it since though.

Unsurprising. That referee was probably removed for making up his own rules.

It is very annoying, and when you think £21 to watch league two fare, then only actually see about 60 minutes worth of football, you can see why people don't bother.

It is part of many clubs 'game' ours included, but Burton, and Morecambe are possibly among the worst I've seen. I have no gripes about Morecambe's victory as they were the better team , and in the goalscoring number 7 possesed the best player on the pitch (Bentley aside). Had they not wasted so much time they might have won by a bigger margin (as their manager refers to) But they have to taket their one v one chances and have more nous in front of goal, oh and actually have the ball in play instead of in their goalkeepers arms for minutes on end during a game.

All this doesn't mask the fact we were offensively clueless. And until our forwards, or anyone who is forward of the ball is taught to 'move off the ball':smile:, then goals will be hard to come by.

60 minutes is actually the FIFA calculated time that the ball is 'expected' to be in play for. Football is basically a 60min game with a continuous clock.

There's a good article here about a stop-clock for football.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/197559043606719/

An experiment to see if it does slow the game down would be interesting.

I do agree with some comments on here that we're a little naive to some of the dark arts. It's nice that we are a fairly sporting team, but I do miss the Lewis Hunt ability to gain about 20 yards on a throw in!

An example is the York game a couple of weeks ago. We were 2-1 up and Coulthirst was subbed. The sub happened when he was literally next to the bench. It doesn't take much more than a whisper for him to swap over and get on the far touchline. Lots of teams and players do it!

It does make me laugh when players who can run sub-11 seconds 100m suddenly take about 3 hrs to run the width of the pitch when subbed! Or when they decide they want to shake peoples hand!

Frustrating when it's the other team.

Don't forget that they were feigning injury to stop us building up a head of steam. How many of their players mysteriously had injuries and then a few moments later were running around as fit as a fiddle again?
One rule I absolutely hate is this passing the ball back to the opposition (usually by giving the opposing goalie a goal kick) when play has been stopped because of an injured player. I suggest that when the ref stops the game because of an injured player, he should award a throw in to the team in possession at the time of the stoppage and have it taken level with where play was stopped. That way you don't lose possession through no fault of your own. Another rule that needs changing is if a player receives an injury as a result of a foul on him, then he needn't leave the pitch to come on again. This would stop the team that has been fouled having to start the play again with the offended player off the pitch and thus put them at a disadvantage because of the foul. This is especially important if the free kick is near the box.
Come to think of it, I should rewrite the laws of the game!

This is a convention rather than a rule.

I do agree with some comments on here that we're a little naive to some of the dark arts. It's nice that we are a fairly sporting team, but I do miss the Lewis Hunt ability to gain about 20 yards on a throw in!

You're as one-eyed as OBL!

Morecambe did exactly what we had done the previous week when we scored early and then killed the game. When was the last time a team took a quick free-kick against us? How many times does John White make the clearance and in doing so goes down in a heap to get his opponent booked? How many times does Ryan Leonard fall on the ball? How many times do we run up to the ref and try and get someone booked? How many opponents do we get sent off?

Let's not kid ourselves that we're sporting: this team is as skilled in the dark arts as I've seen a Southend side and is every bit as bad as the worst teams to visit Roots Hall.

This is a convention rather than a rule.

You're as one-eyed as OBL!

Morecambe did exactly what we had done the previous week when we scored early and then killed the game. When was the last time a team took a quick free-kick against us? How many times does John White make the clearance and in doing so goes down in a heap to get his opponent booked? How many times does Ryan Leonard fall on the ball? How many times do we run up to the ref and try and get someone booked? How many opponents do we get sent off?

Let's not kid ourselves that we're sporting: this team is as skilled in the dark arts as I've seen a Southend side and is every bit as bad as the worst teams to visit Roots Hall.

Hmm it's my view that we're less bad that other teams. Others have said the same. However this could be a manifestation of an inherent bias towards SUFC.

As you say, there are lots of things we do still do which aren't particularly sporting. My point was mainly about time-wasting, stealing yards, pestering the ref.

And we played the clock down in the corner in both of our recent home wins. Or at least we tried to. When a goal kick is the outcome the objective isn't achieved.

And we played the clock down in the corner in both of our recent home wins. Or at least we tried to. When a goal kick is the outcome the objective isn't achieved.

I find that practice (taking the ball to the corner) to be rather odd.

I would have said that keeping the ball in the back four and playing it out to the midfield and back again could easily take up more time - plus it has the benefit of keeping the team playing the ball rather than the mind set of hoofing out any ball that comes into our half in the last few minutes.

Or more simply, why not go looking for another goal?

I don't think you can punish a team (or a player) for taking the ball into the corner...the whole of the playing area can of course be used...I think you're on a slippery slope if you start doing that.
HOWEVER...what you can do is immediately blow for obstruction and show a yellow card as soon as the player puts the ball in the corner and shoves his backside and arms out to stop the opponent reaching it. It's obstruction for goodness sake, there's no intention to play the ball, the only intention is to stop the opponent reaching it and it should be punished.

I don't think you can punish a team (or a player) for taking the ball into the corner...the whole of the playing area can of course be used...I think you're on a slippery slope if you start doing that.
HOWEVER...what you can do is immediately blow for obstruction and show a yellow card as soon as the player puts the ball in the corner and shoves his backside and arms out to stop the opponent reaching it. It's obstruction for goodness sake, there's no intention to play the ball, the only intention is to stop the opponent reaching it and it should be punished.

Actually, it may well not be obstruction. Players are allowed to shield the ball so long as it's within their playing area, i.e. within reach of their feet. (It's much the same as when a defender runs the ball out under pressure from a forward.) It becomes an issue if they are so far away from the ball that it's not within their playing area, and I have noticed recently that referees in general are much quicker to penalise that.

Actually, it may well not be obstruction. Players are allowed to shield the ball so long as it's within their playing area, i.e. within reach of their feet. (It's much the same as when a defender runs the ball out under pressure from a forward.) It becomes an issue if they are so far away from the ball that it's not within their playing area, and I have noticed recently that referees in general are much quicker to penalise that.

I thought that playing area also applied to penalties, i.e. if the ball was not within playing distance of the player or the player was going away from goal then in is not a penalty decision?

Back