• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

as well as the sentimental side I still think he did a job on the pitch. Seeing him play attacking midfield away to Charlton was just odd but back in the middle he's been a rock. Powell implied Timlin wouldn't play that much and so has let him go for that reason. Fair enough I guess but I would still kept him. He may feel that he wanted to spend his last couple of years on the pitch rather than in the stand which is fair enough.
All the very best to an absolute Southend Legend

Timlin: "Things happen in football both good and bad. You just have to take the positives and do the best you can. I’m in a state of disappointment. I’m hurt and frustrated it’s come to this but I still think I’m finishing on a positive with Southend."

Timlin: "I hope Southend do well and achieve everything they want to. I’ll keep an eye on things and I’ll still feel it’s my club. It’s going to be weird living here and playing elsewhere."

Timlin: "I don't want to be remembered for someone who just ran around. I do have a lot of ability, you just don’t see it a lot of the time!"

Timlin: "I probably didn’t please a lot of fans but I knew there were fans who appreciated me and liked what I did for the team. That’s part and parcel of football though, you can’t please everyone."

Timlin: "Dru has been fantastic and he was one of the youngsters I got to know. He’s had a remarkable progression but there are so many good young players at the club. I’m hoping Harry Phillips will be next to come through."

Tims: "Social media is needed in football because fans should be able to interact with players but I think players get caught up in wanting to know the good things getting said. They don’t want to know the bad things and then they get affected by them. That’s why I’m not on it."

Timlin: "I haven’t had the opportunity to say goodbye to the fans. They know how I used to act and they know I appreciated all of their support, especially when I was injured. I would like to say thank you to them all and I’ll definitely be back to watch when I can."

This has all been copy and pasted from Chris Phillips twitter. https://twitter.com/CJPhillips1982?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Big respect to Michael Timlin and the things he said. It's quite moving even tho I wasn't his biggest fan the last season. When he was at his best he was a fantastic player who always gave his all for Southend United. He clearly loves the club as well.
Chris Phillips says you can tweet on there and he will pass on your good luck messages on as it doesn't sound as tho Michael Timlin will read anything on Shrimperzone. Hopefully quite a few of you will take the time to post a nice message to Tims.

Question should be asked, if footballers need to show example so should others and TV shows.How many of the lying cheating and murdering characters in East Ender's show the wrong example to kids.

I love these people who claim footballers are there to set a model example to their kids. If you want perfection why involve kids with football in the first place.

Why take them along and then abuse players from your own team? Why call your own club captain a c***? Why make it uncomfortable for players wives to sit in the stand.

At the very top we have sep Blatter, world cups in Russia and Qatar. At kids level, every coach or ref who quits names parents as the number one reason.

I couldn't care less if Timlin was speeding or if he lied about it. Unlike Ranger at least he tried to get to training on time.

I love these people who claim footballers are there to set a model example to their kids. If you want perfection why involve kids with football in the first place.

Why take them along and then abuse players from your own team? Why call your own club captain a c***? Why make it uncomfortable for players wives to sit in the stand.

At the very top we have sep Blatter, world cups in Russia and Qatar. At kids level, every coach or ref who quits names parents as the number one reason.

I couldn't care less if Timlin was speeding or if he lied about it. Unlike Ranger at least he tried to get to training on time.

I take my kids to football. I don’t abuse players. I don’t call the club captain a c***. I don’t make it uncomfortable for players wives to sit in the stand.

Kids love football, it’s good for them in terms of enjoyment, physical exercise and learning about playing as a team. As kids they will naturally look up to their football hero’s. To that end, the more player act as good role models the better.

Timlin made a mistake, probably through being dumb for a moment more than anything. In terms of role modelling, my young kids won’t follow in his footsteps with this one (well not for 10 years and if they did it would be nothing to do with timlin). It’s MAINLY offences on the pitch which kids will be copying... the tales of biting in the playgrounds when Suarez did his thing for example.

So back to Timlin. He did a stupid thing. He got caught (many don’t for that offence). He took his punishment. He apologised. Aside from that, he was generally a great servant to the club and I wish him all the best.

Chris Powell did have an small hint that Timlin could come back in the summer, maybe to prove himself again.

Chris Powell did have an small hint that Timlin could come back in the summer, maybe to prove himself again.

When? I haven't seen that :unsure: Great if so, we know he had an operation on a toe right at the end of the season so that may have had an impact on him.

Fortune’s message on Instagram

6zft313.jpg

Attachments

• 07F70EB0-B494-439B-A8A2-A81B9E58BFB2.jpg
    07F70EB0-B494-439B-A8A2-A81B9E58BFB2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 25
When? I haven't seen that :unsure: Great if so, we know he had an operation on a toe right at the end of the season so that may have had an impact on him.

I cannot imagine Timlin hanging around on the ‘Off Chance’ of earning a contract, which are likely to be very slim. As of July he will not be earning a wage and like anyone will be very keen to rectify that.

Well done MAF. Whenever I saw you play I was seriously impressed by your fitness and by your footballing skills. I also appreciated your professionalism and continued commitment to each game when PB was sinking and one or two of your fellow players gave up as soon as we went a goal behind. You're a top bloke. Thanks for your service to Southend United and the very best of good fortune in the future.

Last edited:
Well done MAF. Whenever I saw you play I was seriously impressed by your fitness and by your footballing skills. I also appreciated your professionalism and continued commitment to each game when PB was sinking and one of two of your fellow players gave up as soon as we went a goal behind. You're a top bloke. Thanks for your service to Southend United and the very best of good fortune in the future.

Very Good:smile:

I take my kids to football. I don’t abuse players. I don’t call the club captain a c***. I don’t make it uncomfortable for players wives to sit in the stand.

Kids love football, it’s good for them in terms of enjoyment, physical exercise and learning about playing as a team. As kids they will naturally look up to their football hero’s. To that end, the more player act as good role models the better.

Timlin made a mistake, probably through being dumb for a moment more than anything. In terms of role modelling, my young kids won’t follow in his footsteps with this one (well not for 10 years and if they did it would be nothing to do with timlin). It’s MAINLY offences on the pitch which kids will be copying... the tales of biting in the playgrounds when Suarez did his thing for example.

So back to Timlin. He did a stupid thing. He got caught (many don’t for that offence). He took his punishment. He apologised. Aside from that, he was generally a great servant to the club and I wish him all the best.

Yes that's why w love the game. Sadly we seem obsessed with stopping the 'jumpers for goal posts' fun that kids love. You have to be organised and 'coached' by adults no matter what the sport or what level the children are at.

With Football as soon as you point the moral finger at players, You have to be careful what standard you set. I didn't ever witness anything Timlin did on the pitch that would not be a good example to any young fan.

Sad to see them both go, with a combined age of nearly 70... maybe not such a tough decision for Chrissy to make? Two excellent pro's who I enjoyed watching.

Whilst the majority of posts have been complimentary about both players contribution , more seem to have been about Timlin.
Personally whilst I admire his approach and attitude over the years , I do feel that his attributes ( hard work , endeavour etc ) are ones that can be replicated by several other L1 / L2 / Non League players and therefore , apart from the loyalty element , I don't think the loss will be huge in terms of the overall team advancement.
I don't mean that as a negative to him, but an honest appraisal of what he brings and what we can probably get as a replacement.
I honestly feel the loss of MAF may be a bigger one to fill.
I thought his contribution in terms of movement and hold up play were excellent , and given his age ( which is probably the main reason SCP let him go ) his performances were largely very good.
I guess it can be argued that we can also find a similar replacement , with similar attributes , but I for one was a huge admirer of this guy and would love to have held on to him for one more season.
Good luck to both though and I'm sure they will do well at their next clubs.

If his age had been a secret, there was no way anyone would have guessed MAF was as old as he is. If anything, his stamina and strength seemed to be increasing towards the end of the season judging by his performances. His intelligent use of the ball, his hold up play where it really matters at the sharp end and his mature professional demeanour at all times will be nigh impossible to replace. We were very lucky to have him and I hope the decision to let him go does not come back to haunt us.

I'm not at all convinced that CP is going to replace these with non-league gems or youths from Premiership teams.

Back