• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Torquay United 0-0 Southend United

Playoffs it is. As long as Duncan Jupp resigns we'll be fine.

EDIT: That's re-signs, not resigns, just to clarify.

Playoffs it is. As long as Duncan Jupp resigns we'll be fine.

EDIT: That's re-signs, not resigns, just to clarify.

But surely he'll have to resign his current role to re-sign? Or are we resigned to the fact that he won't resign to re-sign.

My head hurts. :'(

Playoffs playoffs playoffs.

Soooo, it's important now to not lose, and to play well in the next few games. A nice little run would help the confidence in the playoffs.

I'm not so sure the next 3 games will have much of an influence over the play offs should we be involved in them

In 2004/05 we had 1W 1D 4L heading into the plays offs, yet we DWW without conceeding a goal

In 2007/08 we had 9W 5D 1L before facing Doncaster, you don't need reminding what happened next :sad:

I thought today was a very decent performance from the boys and we deserved more than a point for our second half performance.

The first 20 minutes Torquay had much of the ball but our back four were absolutely magnificent - particularly Phillips and Barker who put in the best 90 minutes I have seen from him all season. Therefore they created very little. We grew into the game and Hall hit the crossbar from a great free kick and Moshni had a header disallowed.

Towards the end of the first half Bilel went down dramatically after a cross. The Torquay player tried to pull him up and Bilel swept away the players legs. Some refs would have sent him off and I was grateful for the half time whistle because he was a racing car. Even then he was in the refs face arguing and I honestly thought he was going to be taken off which would have been a shame because he was a continual nuisance to the opposition. Whatever Luggy said to him worked because he showed great discipline despite being continually man handled by the opposition to produce another good second half.

The second half began with a short spell of pressure from Torquay before Southend took control and it was half an hour of pressure. Half chances were created with the ball not quite falling. Clohessy got forward nicely and Ferdinand began to get beyond Harris. Timlin missed a very good chance shooting wide when the goal was pretty much at his mercy. The keeper saved well from Moshin when clean through. One final chance went begging with Freddy millimetres away from connecting to a Ryan Hall cross. So unlucky not to take all three points.

Man of the match would be a battle between our centre backs who dominated the game despite not getting any assistance from the referee who continually put up with Rene Howe pushing and shoving them all throughout the game. Phillips himself had a stone wall penalty turned down when he was pushed by two hands when going up for a header five yards from the referee. For me Barker gets the nod because he has been struggling of late and lovely to see him back to his best.

I listened to radio Devon on the way home and was surprised to hear Ling criticise Southend for turning to get a point. I suggest he looks at the stats and chances in particular. The interviewer implied criticism towards our style of play - again I throw back Rene Howe to them! We came for three points and will be very disappointed not to get them. I for one hope Crawley now nick the final spot because nothing about Torquay would worry me if we had to play them in the playoffs.

An encouraging performance which is positive with the final push.

Lost my first report annoyingly, so here's a slightly shorter version:

We started and ended brightly, and dominated the majority of the game.

Bellford - 6 - A clean sheet yes, but he made some situations more difficult than they should have been. Should have claimed a couple of longballs from Torquay but left Clohessy (who had to give away a corner) and Phillips to do so which they were annoyed about. Kicking wasn't very good at times and a poor throw to Clohessy nearly cost us a goal.

Clohessy - 8 - Barely put a foot wrong as usual. Solid defensively and put some good crosses in.

Phillips - 9 - MOTM. Best performance from him all season.

Barker - 7.5 - Much better from him, dealt with their tricky number 9 well and got numerous decisions unfairly given against him. Passing wasn't great though.

Gilbert - 8 - He gets a lot of stick, but he was excellent today I thought. No he hasn't got the quality of Clohessy, but he barely gave it away and was solid defensively as well. Looked to pass instead of "hoof it" more.

Hall - 7 - Gave it away occasionally, but put some good crosses in as usual. Got in some good shooting positions, but frustratingly couldn't get a shot away due to a heavy touch or slipping over. Hit the bar, but shouldn't have come lcose to scoring as it was hit straight down the middle.

Grant - 8 - Fantastic first half, faded in the second.

Timlin - 7 - OK, worked very hard as usual but gave it away often. Squandered a good chance as well with a volley just inside the area which should have at least tseted the keeper. Still not the same player that first joined us on loan. He needs a rest before the play-offs.

Mohsni - 8 - Would have been a joint MOTM, were it not for the stupid incident before half-time which I was convinced was going ot be a red card. He got tackled and provoked by their player and appeared to pull his legs away (excuse the pun). I assume he passed a Paul Sturrock mental assessment at half-time as Hills warmed up but didn't come on. Credit to him though as he came out in the second half and won everyting in the air again. Was unlucky not to score as well.

Ferdinand - 7 - Encouragingly he tried hard and got involved. Showed some real touches of class, a clever flick which nearly came off the most notable example. Will develop into a quality player I'm sure.

Harris - 7 - Not a great game but played on his own in tough conditions and with the Gulls' fans absuing him (not sure what for?). Think a partnership of him and Freddy will work best.

All in all, I felt it was an encouraging performance, but a slightly disappointing considering we dominated the majority of the game. Excellent defensive performances on both sides (their number 6 was outstanding) resulted in a rare draw for us. I hope we get them in the play-offs, because they looked like us when we had that 17 match unbeaten run. Grinding out results without playing brilliantly.

Timlin is out of form, but there again there are not a lot of midfield options.
Not a lot has been made of the practically open goal he squandered as he drove wide from the first effort - and then emphatically hammered the rebound back into the net.
The only problem was the ball came back to him off the hoardings behind the goal.
However, the bearded one is symptomatic of a malaise in blue/wild cherry (or whatever it's meant to be) when it comes to planting the ball in the net on a regular basis.
We had easily the better second half, but no-one apart from the aforementioned got very close to converting - apart from Freddy at the end when he needed a size 17 to connect with a cross that just eluded him.
We are headed to the play-offs and no mistake. Thank the Norse gods it's not Cardiff...

Listening to the radio it sounded like we got nothing from the ref. they're making it look like we got everything?

my thoughts from yesterday, first half we got the 4-5-1 horribly wrong I felt so sorry for harris, he done well to get the ball but was so isolated it was a joke, ferdinand was a complete passenger. We defended well and threatened little.
2nd half was a very different story someone had obviously kicked ferdinand up the backside as he supported harris very well and was very industrious. We started carrying a real goal threat with clohessey rampaging down the right, grant and timlin could boss the centre of the park due to kanes improvement, we could have won yesterday if we had just got that goal. Mohsni was very good at times yesterday bit silly at one point but it all ended well and he was composed in the 2nd half, he was just showing the ref a bit of blood when half time whistle went proving he took a whack earlier

"Bloody hell they dont like us much do they! "

What they were saying pretty much sums up what I feel about most teams we play at the Hall. I guess it's just one of those things - we all feel we get a rough deal from Refs etc but basically all teams are pretty much the same!

Back